Am I hosed? (Quite possibly very SPOILERISH)

Discussion on the full game [spoilers]

Moderators: jelco, bert_the_turtle, Chris, Icepick, Rkiver, Punisher Bass

hastylumbago
level1
level1

Am I hosed? (Quite possibly very SPOILERISH)

Postby hastylumbago » Sat Apr 21, 2007 3:01 am

OK, this is my first time really playing through Uplink. I'm not using any spoiler sites, (OK, just a little. I participated in one semi-spoily conversation here, and part of it involved skimming over the big spoily site, but I didn't actually spoil myself.) and I'm having a really good time of it.

(SPOILER BUFFERING INNITIATED...)

(SPOILER OVERFLOW. Yo, Mama. Core Dumped)

I've just broken into ARC, after I got an email from a dead guy, right?

poking around inside their log files, I notice an unknown user has copied something called Revelation. Obviously, this is our corpse. On top of this, there's a connection initiate with no disconnect log. Or maybe it was the other way around. It's been a week or two. So I start slowly following this path through a variety of hops, using the IP Probe, trying to make my way back to wherever this signal orginated.

At this point, I feel really, really clever. Then, about half an hour later, I feel like a total idiot.

See, I tend to use the same systems for my bounces over and over. Eventually, I get to a system where the entire log seems to consist of me bouncing signals from one specific system to another specific system, and nothing but.

So as far as tracing this signal, I think I'm entirely hosed. I think I may have to start the game over, if I want to figure out where that orginated. And so, I have three questions:

1) is it possible to push logs off the bottom of the stack of logs, thus making them irretrievable to the player?

2) If the above is possible, could this be used as an alternative to deleting logs? (I know it wouldn't be a very GOOD alternative)

3) Quite Simply This: Am I Hosed?
alphager
level3
level3

Postby alphager » Sat Apr 21, 2007 1:13 pm

1)no
2)no
3)no

Patience, my friend. Clear up your logs after attempting to use the dead-guy's password. Then do some more missions; you will be contacted within the next 48 hours.
Akatosh
level2
level2

Postby Akatosh » Sat Apr 21, 2007 3:30 pm

In non-spoileriffic words: It's like a trace a hacker mission, just at a high difficulty.

In spoilerastic (highlight to read):

|Well, the dead hacker could have used the Log Deleter version that overwrites (is that even a real word?) a log with a different log or the Log MODIFIER, couldn't he? There's a tool available that may help you... use it on EVERY log available, and if it changes, chances are our dead friend may have something to do with it.|
This is not a signature.
hastylumbago
level1
level1

Postby hastylumbago » Sat Apr 21, 2007 10:12 pm

Actually, I haven't done a trace hacker mission yet, mostly because I've noticed that when I do missions that target individuals, my Neuromancer rating gets worse, and fast.
Akatosh
level2
level2

Postby Akatosh » Sun Apr 22, 2007 9:24 am

Yes, and they're quite a bit of work for the money. You should do some, anyway, to get practice.
This is not a signature.
PHREAK76
level4
level4

Postby PHREAK76 » Fri Jul 06, 2007 10:01 pm

POINTLESS BUMP!
Rkiver
level5
level5

Postby Rkiver » Fri Jul 06, 2007 10:47 pm

Indeed, pointless you are.
Uplink help: Read the FAQ