Uplink modifications for newest version

Moderated discussion about Uplink

Moderators: jelco, bert_the_turtle, Chris, Icepick, Rkiver, Punisher Bass

Digital-NW
level2
level2

Uplink modifications for newest version

Postby Digital-NW » Thu Jan 25, 2007 11:20 pm

Before I only modified the game for my own purposes simply because there were so many great mods out there already. Now, with the slew of updates dying off and the lack of updates to legacy mods, I've decided that I'd like to start modifying Uplink again. These mods may even be allowed for the steam version. I am awaiting approval on that.

So I'd like to know what source modifications you would like to see updated, what features you'd like added that were missed in the patches, and perhaps other new things (storyline, difficulty, etc) that were not done before.

I already have a mod in work that will hopefully make the game more difficult, but suggestion from the public on what they'd like to see made more difficult helps. I've also got some basic ideas for an extended storyline (post revelation loss ending) and will be building out on that too.

Some ideas I have for changes include:
-Disabling the ability to upload negatively priced gateways
-Increasing the score needed for various Uplink levels
-Increasing the average level of Uplink agents
-Increasing "Trace hacker" mission probability
-Implementing a real world growth and increasing size
-Adding genders (need photos and voices of willing female individuals)
-Adding new missions relating to real world events (like cracking a camera in an apt building to monitor when X person is home so that a hitman can make a strike or conversely staking out a bad guy's house for the cops)
-Bringing the Global Medical Database back to the game with newer options to support the above missions.
-Adding new features, items, and tools for gateway protection. Including but not limited to, file servers for hire, cameras (maybe :S), key pad/card entry, private rooms, maybe even something dirty like a self protection system (guns) that keep the good guys out long enough for you to transfer your data and run :-"

That is just a small list of my ideas and is by far complete. Feel free to post yours. I'll take everything practical in to consideration. I don't want to change the way the game operates though, so no silly ideas like bring back the "real world" ideas from the game bible, etc. I look forward to your comments.
Digital-NW
level2
level2

Postby Digital-NW » Thu Feb 01, 2007 11:27 pm

I take it by the lack of response that no one is interested in an updated modification for this game? Or does no one have any input to provide to it?
frenchfrog
level5
level5

Postby frenchfrog » Fri Feb 02, 2007 1:55 am

I guess it's a lack of input ;)
The Ultimate Uplink Guide (for any question on Uplink)
Latest Uplink Patch
Chishi
level1
level1

Postby Chishi » Fri Feb 02, 2007 4:03 am

Lack of input, because I have the steam version and would love to be able to use a mod with it..

I just don't have too much free time these days.
(Something to do with lectures and studying and exams and graduation in TWO WEEKS! Hell Yeah! MM3, here I come!)
Digital-NW
level2
level2

Postby Digital-NW » Fri Feb 02, 2007 7:09 pm

These mods may even be allowed for the steam version. I am awaiting approval on that.

:)
frenchfrog
level5
level5

Postby frenchfrog » Fri Feb 02, 2007 7:10 pm

yeah, me too I waiting from approval on that ;)
necropolis123
level1
level1

Postby necropolis123 » Sat Feb 10, 2007 5:39 pm

I like these ideas,

maybe you could add some of the ones from the original uplink introversion server.

like cutting the power to a bank, crashing planes and that sorta thing.

if you do create this Please PM me.
"We trust no one Danny, no one."
KingAl
level5
level5

Postby KingAl » Sun Feb 11, 2007 1:40 am

necropolis123 wrote:if you do create this Please PM me.

Though I'm sure you're well meaning, requesting that people PM you to bring you up to date on things that aren't your personal concern is considered bad form - it appears that you're expecting others to wait on you, so to speak.
gewehr36
level0

Postby gewehr36 » Sat Feb 17, 2007 6:19 am

A mod that lets you start with 100,000 would be nice.
Rkiver
level5
level5

Postby Rkiver » Sat Feb 17, 2007 9:12 am

gewehr36 wrote:A mod that lets you start with 100,000 would be nice.

Or you could not be shit and hack a bank.
Uplink help: Read the FAQ
Chishi
level1
level1

Postby Chishi » Mon Feb 19, 2007 7:11 am

If you start with 100,000, you are practically done with the game anyway.
Digital-NW
level2
level2

Postby Digital-NW » Tue Feb 20, 2007 2:11 am

I've nearly completed the implementation of wifi access points ( a crude start anyway). These will protect you from being arrested in most situations (well, currently all situations). Most of this, so far, was thanks to the mod originally programmed by StormChild (thanks :D). I've tweaked it around, and here is the feature list thus far:

-Re-enabled the VIRTUANET gateway's wifi system. Disadvantage, if your router is seized you will be completely disconnected from your gateway and will need to pay 2000 credits to cover replacement costs. This is a far cheaper alternative to wifi capable modems however as Uplink covers most of the cost in your agent monthly fee. VIRTUANET gateway does not require that you purchase a wifi router separately, it is provided to you upon purchase of the gateway.

-Added 4 new modems to the game, each with a wifi capability. These will be required in order to use the wifi router peripheral and cost far more than the previously available modems with the same speed allowances. Modems are never lost if your router is seized.

-Added the ability to purchase a wireless router. Currently it is considered a security device and will require a gateway with a free security slot. If you are caught, this is the item that is lost.

TODO (with this portion of the mod anyway):

-Remove the wifi router from a standard security slot
-Scatter the purchasing of higher power, high security (ie WEP encrypted), perhaps auto-connecting (see below) modems through random companies within the game.
-Require the non-VIRTURANET gateway's with wifi modems to manually align with the wifi router based on the frequency given to them from Uplink. (similar to aligning to a LAN radio transmitter)
-Create companies that sell wifi access services that are compatible with various encryption processes.
-From above, adding the ability for police and perhaps hackers (new missions) to crack these encryptions to find the final destination hop. Will perhaps be an advanced "trace hacker" mission.

...and probably more that I just forgot to mention. Any ideas for additional features for this phase are more than welcome. All of these things will lead to help me re-balance the difficulty levels in the game, eventually making it a lot more difficult than it is (and hopefully more fun too) :)
iFell
level0

Postby iFell » Mon Feb 26, 2007 10:36 pm

I really like the fact that someone is still actively modding Uplink.

Maybe you should create a web-site so we could more easily keep up to date with your advancements...I'm sure people would be interested.
Digital-NW
level2
level2

Postby Digital-NW » Tue Feb 27, 2007 9:30 am

I would, if there was actually any sort of following. This topic tends to show otherwise. If this changes I might consider it. :)
lexus
level1
level1

Postby lexus » Wed Feb 28, 2007 9:40 pm

Hi!

You may implement a several number of virus and antivirus, in this game, faith antivirus is only for revelation virus, maybe you can make more virus, make more antivirus and its upgrades:example:

faith:you'll be protected againts this virus:
revelation v1,v2,v3, "virus name v4 and older", "virus name v3 and older" something like this.

You can make the option to upgrade our antivirus like a real world antivirus.

example:"go to uplink internal services system and buy the last version of our antivirus.

This is just a simple idea

Return to “Uplink in Moderation”