New Theme: Retro64

Anything and Everything about Uplink

Moderators: jelco, bert_the_turtle, Chris, Icepick, Rkiver

N0ught
level3
level3

New Theme: Retro64

Postby N0ught » Mon Jan 15, 2007 4:06 am

In honor of the computer system that consumed so many of our hours of leisure time during the 1980's, I am very proud to announce my newest creations: the Retro64 theme and Commodore64 gateway! Here are some screenshots:

#1 - The title screen...

#2 - A little bit of record-hacking...

#3 - And here is the Commodore64 gateway in all its glory...

Introversion call themselves "the last of the bedroom programmers", and so I felt it was only fair to pay homage to the king of the bedroom computers - without which, Uplink and other games like it, would surely not exist. I even included screenshots from the Commodore 64 game "Hacker" as the loading screen images.

So, for a bit of nostalgia, give this new theme and gateway a try, and let me know what you think! :D

Retro64 Theme:
http://www.orlafan.com/celticmeav/N0ught/Retro64.zip

Commodore64 Gateway:
http://www.orlafan.com/celticmeav/N0ugh ... dore64.zip

Changes:
14/1/2007... I found a small problem with the background on the award graphics - it has been fixed. Please download again.
Darksun
level5
level5

Postby Darksun » Mon Jan 15, 2007 12:35 pm

Nice. Very... nice.
frenchfrog
level5
level5

Postby frenchfrog » Mon Jan 15, 2007 4:17 pm

ahaha, LOAD "UPLINK",8,1

Really nice, I began my computer days on a C64.

The second CPU upgrade could have been a socket in the fast load cartridge :P

See Fast loader, Epyx FastLoad (I had one one these myself), was really effective for big app/games like Oubliette ;)

Oubliette description wrote:Oubliette is one of the earliest party-based role-playing games. It is an open-ended hack-and-slash through a multilevel dungeon with a party of 1-6 characters, chosen from possible classes including Fighters, Priests and Thieves. They will gain experience, jewelry and armor as the adventure progresses, but they will also age and may eventually die. Spells are triggered through typing their activation codes. The party can be changed before every trip to the dungeon by dropping off / picking up characters from the local tavern.

In fact, you could choose the race of your personnage (with different attributes), and there was much other classes, Rangers, Paladin, Samourai, ...

Also on the login screen, I guess you could simply use, f1, f3, f5, f7 for the 'New User', 'Retire', 'Options', 'Exit'
The Ultimate Uplink Guide (for any question on Uplink)
Latest Uplink Patch
N0ught
level3
level3

Postby N0ught » Mon Jan 15, 2007 8:57 pm

I'm glad you guys like it. :D

I also began my relationship with computers and simulation-style games with the Commodore 64. I have played a little Oubliette (the pc version), but the games I spent most of my time on include Legacy of the Ancients, The Bard's Tale 1 and 3, Wasteland, Paradroid, The Seven Cities of Gold, Lords of Conquest, The Pawn and other uncountable text adventures, etc.

I still have a fully functional C64 with disk-drive and all of the games mentioned above except The Pawn, Paradroid and Oubliette. What is even more amazing is it all spent about 5 years in an unheated (and leaking) trailer in the woods before I remembered it was there - and only ONE of the games (sadly, The Pawn) didn't work! :o

It is all being stored in a nice steel trunk in my warm livingroom now. No need to call the ASPCC. ;)

The second CPU upgrade could have been a socket in the fast load cartridge

I was actually planning to add visual peripherals, like the C64 modem or the fast-loader, plugged into their proper spots, but I decided on a more generic design with a visible circuit board for style. I figured if a nostalgic Uplink Agent of 2010 were to modify the C64 for modern use it would be one hell of a patch job. :D

Also on the login screen, I guess you could simply use, f1, f3, f5, f7 for the 'New User', 'Retire', 'Options', 'Exit'

Ah, but you don't understand how hard it was to find a good picture of the power switch - and did you see what happens when you click on "Register New Agent"? Also, if you look at the options menu, we would wind up with a duplicate fkey there, since there are four options and the "exit" option.

There are really an awful lot of "easter eggs" in this theme. I have been working on it on and off since I released my Toolink theme, which is actually several months now. I will probably change things here and there, so keep an eye out for more updates in the first post of this thread.

Happy Hacking! :)

P.S. Frenchfrog, the patch works great!
frenchfrog
level5
level5

Postby frenchfrog » Mon Jan 15, 2007 9:52 pm

Also, you should save the good paths in Commodore64.zip .
N0ught
level3
level3

Postby N0ught » Mon Jan 15, 2007 10:15 pm

Also, you should save the good paths in Commodore64.zip .

I don't understand... please clarify.
frenchfrog
level5
level5

Postby frenchfrog » Mon Jan 15, 2007 10:52 pm

*.tif -> graphics\gateway
*.txt -> data\gateways
N0ught
level3
level3

Postby N0ught » Tue Jan 16, 2007 1:39 am

Oh I see - on my website I have an explanation of how to install the mods, including which directories to put them in.
frenchfrog
level5
level5

Postby frenchfrog » Tue Jan 16, 2007 3:56 am

But the vast majority of the gateways on modlink have the correct path in the zip (just like for themes have the correct path in the zip).

It just make it easier for everybody ;)
majingray
level2
level2

Postby majingray » Mon Jan 29, 2007 2:02 am

woooo snazy.
N0ught
level3
level3

Postby N0ught » Sat Jun 30, 2007 3:18 am

BIG BUMP!!! NEW FILE AVAILABLE!!!

I didn't test this theme much when I released it. I was working on a personal project concerning Uplink just now, and noticed I had to make some minor graphical changes. Head on over to my website (link in my sig, below) and get it!

I just officially beat the game on the Arunmor side for the first time, using the Commodore 64 gateway (also available at my website). That's right - only two 200 ghz cpu, and all the software I could stick into 64 gq of memory. Fun times, fun times.

GAME ON!!!
Surfpup
level2
level2

Postby Surfpup » Sat Jul 07, 2007 6:15 am

...Amazing

Return to “General”