Stuck in Uplink? Need Help?

Moderators: jelco, bert_the_turtle, Chris, Icepick, Rkiver, Punisher Bass

Trac3R
level1
level1

uplink gives me wrong figures

Postby Trac3R » Sun Nov 26, 2006 6:16 pm

hello,
i have multiple problems with figures uplink gives me.

first example: i was hired for a mission to catch a hacker. my employer told me that the hack happend at 8:00, 8-4-2010. but when i took a look into the logs i saw that the hack was at 18:00, 7-4-2010. this was easy to find out, but here it comes:

second example: i should copy data from a fileserver. in the LAN between the router and the server there is a wireless transmitter. a terminal in the LAN said that the frequency is at 144,3 GHz. so i set up the transmitter on this one but no receiver appears. i tried a brute force attack (all 410 possibilities) but the transmitter waits for an echo, all the time. i also tried a LAN scan and probe. also no appearing receiver.

how can i find out the right frequency? my guess is that uplink has changed it randomly like the date in the first example.

i use the german version 1.32 for linux which i know is very buggy. but i don't want to buy me the english one, too.

suggestions anyone?
HaloNothing
level2
level2

Postby HaloNothing » Sat Dec 02, 2006 4:40 pm

you may be just stuck with a bad glitch
Trac3R
level1
level1

Postby Trac3R » Mon Dec 04, 2006 11:24 pm

HaloNothing wrote:you may be just stuck with a bad glitch

Well, thanks for your reply. But I guess this was not ment as a real answer, was it?

I try to ask the question somehow different:
Let's say, the frequency in in the terminal is correct. Why should it be wrong? So, when I set up the transmitter with this frequency, what do I do next to "see" the receiver and continue this mission. I've never had such problems with WLAN before. It is so weird this time.

And in the case of the date, maybe the cracker I had to catch has known the UNIX-tool 'touch'. :lol: That would be much better than to erase the log...

I just want to know how it works. There's no other way to become 31337...
starfoxx
level1
level1

Postby starfoxx » Tue Dec 05, 2006 2:51 am

In the case of the wrong time in the Email the date in the email is when they first noticed that they were hacked (ohh gee someone deleted all our files!) i had one that was off by a good day or so but i still managed to track him down (he didnt even touch his logs that was sloppy) for the Wlan i haven't had any experience with thoose yet so i can't help you
Trac3R
level1
level1

Postby Trac3R » Tue Dec 05, 2006 9:30 am

starfoxx wrote:In the case of the wrong time in the Email the date in the email is when they first noticed that they were hacked

Understood. This makes sense, somehow.
So other people just have recognized that at the time they've been hacked.
Tired of your Playconsole? Want to set up a real Operating System? Linux and BSD are available. Where? Search here!
starfoxx
level1
level1

Postby starfoxx » Tue Dec 05, 2006 12:54 pm

Yes so to start the trace fine the next entry BEFORE that time and use log undeleter on it (I've had a a trace be modified and send me through 4 nodes and then modify a log to send me a dead end) After that go to the From IP and check logs there that time st amp should be identical to the other one plus or minus a few seconds (It'll be a bounce so you connected to them all at the same time) use undeleter next IP repeat until you get to <name's> Personal Computer

reply to the email with <name> in it
Trac3R
level1
level1

Postby Trac3R » Tue Dec 05, 2006 7:09 pm

Thanks starfoxx, understood what I had to do. I only wondered about the phrase "the hack was at $time" when it has been 12 hours earlyer.

So, is someone out there who can tell me things about this WLAN?
Tired of your Playconsole? Want to set up a real Operating System? Linux and BSD are available. Where? Search here!
HaloNothing
level2
level2

Postby HaloNothing » Tue Dec 05, 2006 11:09 pm

I'm sorry I missunderstood, not to mention I have not though of it in terms of what starfoxx had to bing to the table...

I should have thought of that but I admit, it didn't come to mind, it was not my intention to not be helpful but the answer obviously didn't come to me when it counted... sorry
Trac3R
level1
level1

Postby Trac3R » Wed Dec 06, 2006 1:20 pm

HaloNothing wrote: it was not my intention to not be helpful

[fun]
:lol:
Weirdo Halo, you did it again! :wink:

Don't be so sad, poor Halo. You showed me, that someone cares about this topic. That WAS helpful, even if you would have started a off-topic conversation anyway.

Being a geek is not so much about conversation. :roll:
So go back to your computer and code, or what else you do there. Be helpful to others, I promise you'll become glad hacker than. [/fun]
HaloNothing
level2
level2

Postby HaloNothing » Sat Dec 23, 2006 6:57 am

Sorry again then...

Return to “Hints and Tips”