Trace is imminent, can't do anything to stop it

Stuck in Uplink? Need Help?

Moderators: jelco, bert_the_turtle, Chris, Icepick, Rkiver, Punisher Bass

GFree
level1
level1

Trace is imminent, can't do anything to stop it

Postby GFree » Sun Sep 03, 2006 7:43 am

I'm in a spot of bother here. I've progressed a fair bit into the game, doing all the right things like connecting to InterNIC so I can delete the logs afterwards to avoid passive traces. I've also recently hacked the GCD to remove the criminal records of someone. The problem I face now is that if I fast foward several hours from my recent savegame, I'll get a message that I was traced and disavowed, the trace coming from the GCD.

I don't have any logs showing my GCD hack on InterNIC. I've been using Log Deleter v1 without any problems though, but is this the time I should have started using higher versions of the deleter? More importantly, is there anything I can do in the remaining hours to avoid being disavowed? I have no idea how I was traced; the only thing I can think of is by accidentally bouncing first from a computer which was not the InterNIC, but I doubt that.

My Gateway is still the stock version, so no security features available. Would deleting the empty log spaces using v4 of the deleter work? Or am I just screwed either way? Thanks for any help.
Ahtykk
level3
level3

Postby Ahtykk » Sun Sep 03, 2006 9:55 am

you should use V4..
Technofreak
level0

Postby Technofreak » Sun Sep 03, 2006 9:57 am

Yes,
if you use v1 the log can be restored and you get traced.
Ahtykk
level3
level3

Postby Ahtykk » Sun Sep 03, 2006 9:58 am

So.. save up for V4..before you do anything to could get you arrested
Or..you could get motion detector and nuke
GFree
level1
level1

Postby GFree » Sun Sep 03, 2006 10:37 am

Ahtykk wrote:So.. save up for V4..before you do anything to could get you arrested
Or..you could get motion detector and nuke

Yeah, figured as much.

If I use V4 to remove the [Log deleted] entries, will that be enough? I can't nuke the gateway because it currently has no support for security systems, and if I get a new gateway which does, by the time the 24 hours is done to install it, I'll be disavowed.

Figure I'll just start a new account. I've learn a heck of a lot anyway during my first ever playthrough, so it should be a lot smoother next time. Thanks anyway.
xyzyxx
level5
level5

Postby xyzyxx » Sun Sep 03, 2006 3:02 pm

GFree wrote:If I use V4 to remove the [Log deleted] entries, will that be enough?
Probably.
Some people talk because they have something to say. Others talk because they have to say something.
Agent Vincent
level1
level1

Postby Agent Vincent » Mon Sep 04, 2006 5:19 pm

I don't even buy the other versions, I don't buy anything until I have to speed time for the first time, in which case I delete the logs at InterNIC (first comp I use to bounce) with v.4 and I never have to worry about it again. It's only 4000, that's like 3 copy/delete missions and the game starts with at least that.
no one knows i'm a ninja.
GFree
level1
level1

Postby GFree » Tue Sep 05, 2006 12:01 am

Agent Vincent wrote:I don't even buy the other versions, I don't buy anything until I have to speed time for the first time, in which case I delete the logs at InterNIC (first comp I use to bounce) with v.4 and I never have to worry about it again. It's only 4000, that's like 3 copy/delete missions and the game starts with at least that.

Well you've got to have something at least when performing the first several missions, otherwise what are you going to go about the logs already sitting on InterNIC? By the time you get enough for a v4 deleter, wouldn't one of the passive traces have finished by then?

Then again I only ever got warnings from the earlier missions if I stuffed up or took too long/neglected the logs, but I freaked out thinking it might hurt my record later in the game or something. In any case, my new profile is going really well so this ain't an issue anymore.
W31RD0
level3
level3

Postby W31RD0 » Tue Sep 05, 2006 3:17 pm

gfree, depending on how much money you got, you could buy the log_undeleter and the log_deleter v4. then you can undelete your logs, with the undeleter and delete them for good with log_deleter. Don't know if it's neccesary to undelete them first, but that's what I would do.
It is great that war is so terrible... Otherwise, we may get to fond of it...
Quote from the WWII game "Call of Duty"...
flame
level0

Postby flame » Tue Sep 05, 2006 4:12 pm

also i have tryed to bounce from places that don't have logs like public access severs and different phone numbers after the internic to cutt out the passive trace so i can hack a bank and stay logged in the admin for long time and i have found when doing this my rank goes up but you must first bypass the moniter then ya can go from admin and transfer money like this is what i have done to steal money i guess you would call this a walkthough or some kind of some thing but this works

once the game has givin you a mission like trace a recent balance transfer or to see how much this persons loan is or some type of bank hack that ya must complete

first connect to the bank click about and get the admins number call it and get voice analizer then disconnect
next connect to the bank with internic as first hop and like i do use next hops or hop as places like the admins phone ya just called cause it has no logs and i use more then one place to be safe then connect to bank
next BEFORE any thing else must bypass the moniter i8 think i used moniter bypass 5 i think thats the highest moving right along
now ya can continue to hack the bank complete the mission once have done so you can creat a account at the bank still no need to disconnect cause if ya used a high enough moniter bypass you will have no trace and if ya bounced though places that don't make logs then ya will still be safe
after makin a account make ya way to the admin part to do so just hit done in the account after loging in the admin you can see all the accounts in the bank i get my paper and pen for this one cause there is useually more then ya can remember so i write like hum 5 or 7 down not the passwords you can but but at this point in game i have lots of cpu power and memory so i can have any thign i want movin along once ya the first account transfer money to your the ONE YA JUST MADE at the bank delete the logs before ya leave the account and login your account at that bank delete the logs there and repeat process with all accounts if you wish but i have found that the longer you stay logged in that bank and keep hackin all the accounts your rank will grow i am not for sure why but it does
and last but not least BEFORE you leave the bank delete all logs in the admin account and all logs from the transfers i used the lv 4 log deleter and make sure all logs all gone from what ya did and simply disconnect and now ya have clean money ya can connect login you account from the bank and transfer to your uplink bank and not worry bout gettin traced well i didn't and i didn't get cought but i did again delete the logs from that tranfer also just to be safe
and that is it have fun takin money from everyone in every bank

while i done all this i used moniter bypass v5 proxy bypass v5 and log deleter v4 and first bounce was internic and next few bounces was places that makes no logs and maybe 10 to 20 more bounces just to be safe but no need but better safe then sorry

oh and give me feed back if this was help full in any way

cause i use this hacker tacktik every time i play and it would also be of great use to bounce though places that use no logs so no passive trace can be done and make sure they are directly after internic
my bad so long but this may help some and some may already know
Agent Vincent
level1
level1

Postby Agent Vincent » Tue Sep 05, 2006 6:56 pm

GFree wrote:
Agent Vincent wrote:I don't even buy the other versions, I don't buy anything until I have to speed time for the first time, in which case I delete the logs at InterNIC (first comp I use to bounce) with v.4 and I never have to worry about it again. It's only 4000, that's like 3 copy/delete missions and the game starts with at least that.

Well you've got to have something at least when performing the first several missions, otherwise what are you going to go about the logs already sitting on InterNIC? By the time you get enough for a v4 deleter, wouldn't one of the passive traces have finished by then?

Then again I only ever got warnings from the earlier missions if I stuffed up or took too long/neglected the logs, but I freaked out thinking it might hurt my record later in the game or something. In any case, my new profile is going really well so this ain't an issue anymore.

Well, I do all the missions that are in the list BEFORE I have to fast forward, then I buy the log deleter, delete the logs at InterNIC. I hack the test machine before I buy the Breaker, buy the breaker, do missions, buy the deleter, etc etc. I've gotten as far as Social Security missions without having to fast forward and around 25000 credits, but it doesn't always work out that way. I didn't buy any trace tracking equipment or like the HUD_trace until way later for like GCD missions at the very earliest. Passive traces never get me for a few hours.

GFree
level1
level1

Postby GFree » Wed Sep 06, 2006 1:10 am

Agent Vincent wrote:Well, I do all the missions that are in the list BEFORE I have to fast forward, then I buy the log deleter, delete the logs at InterNIC. I hack the test machine before I buy the Breaker, buy the breaker, do missions, buy the deleter, etc etc. I've gotten as far as Social Security missions without having to fast forward and around 25000 credits, but it doesn't always work out that way. I didn't buy any trace tracking equipment or like the HUD_trace until way later for like GCD missions at the very earliest. Passive traces never get me for a few hours.

That sounds alright. It's just every time I complete a mission there's a mad dash to connect to InterNIC and delete the logs, as I have no idea how long the passive trace would take. Need more practice/experience.

W31RD0 wrote:gfree, depending on how much money you got, you could buy the log_undeleter and the log_deleter v4. then you can undelete your logs, with the undeleter and delete them for good with log_deleter. Don't know if it's neccesary to undelete them first, but that's what I would do.

I actually tried that. I had the cash for the undelete and v4 deleter, so I restored the most recent logs and deleted them properly. Fast fowarded, and it took a fair bit longer this time (about 3-4 days), but eventually the disavowed message came up, which I checked later was due to being traced from the GCD. I probably just missed something or wasn't careful earlier. Heck, at least it's more interesting that way.
Agent Vincent
level1
level1

Postby Agent Vincent » Fri Sep 08, 2006 10:24 pm

GFree wrote:
Agent Vincent wrote:Well, I do all the missions that are in the list BEFORE I have to fast forward, then I buy the log deleter, delete the logs at InterNIC. I hack the test machine before I buy the Breaker, buy the breaker, do missions, buy the deleter, etc etc. I've gotten as far as Social Security missions without having to fast forward and around 25000 credits, but it doesn't always work out that way. I didn't buy any trace tracking equipment or like the HUD_trace until way later for like GCD missions at the very earliest. Passive traces never get me for a few hours.

That sounds alright. It's just every time I complete a mission there's a mad dash to connect to InterNIC and delete the logs, as I have no idea how long the passive trace would take. Need more practice/experience.

Yea I know what you mean =) I do to, only after several missions, especially on bank hacks, but duh, if you don't you get caught instantly.

nothing
level0

Postby nothing » Sun Sep 10, 2006 1:34 am

I keep getting caught out by banks - do you HAVE to use log deleter V4? What I've been doing is connecting through low security systems then going back and using log deleter V3 over the connections that were forwarded... that's not enough I take it?
Montyphy
level5
level5

Postby Montyphy » Sun Sep 10, 2006 1:48 am

level 4 nothing else
Uplink help: Check out the Guide or FAQ.
Latest Uplink patch is v1.55.

Return to “Hints and Tips”