Steam version and mods?

Anything and Everything about Uplink

Moderators: jelco, bert_the_turtle, Chris, Icepick, Rkiver

Andersong
level1
level1

Steam version and mods?

Postby Andersong » Thu Aug 24, 2006 12:17 pm

Hello, I just recently discovered Introversion through the mention of Defcon on Penny Arcade. I've immeadetly tried both the Uplink and Darwinia demos, and loved them both.

Now, I've come to understand that there's alot of modding going on for Uplink, and I just wanted to make sure one could partake in these mods if you buy the Steam version.

If I remember correctly, old Half Life mods didn't work on Steam when it first arrived, but had to be adapted. That's why I'm bothering you with this question :)

Anyways, hope this question hasn't been asked elsewhere. I searched around a bit, but didn't find a fitting topic.
Immortius
level1
level1

Postby Immortius » Thu Aug 24, 2006 1:14 pm

dunetrooper
level4
level4

Postby dunetrooper » Thu Aug 24, 2006 5:18 pm

<edit>

Never mind, answered my own question...

(for lack of a better thing to do and to please Hacker101)

I was going to ask what steam was I have never heard of it before, then I figured what the hell and did the smart thing and visited the website and answered my own question, hence the editing.
Last edited by dunetrooper on Fri Aug 25, 2006 3:41 am, edited 1 time in total.
I wasn't here.
Hacker101
level3
level3

Postby Hacker101 » Thu Aug 24, 2006 7:38 pm

dunetrooper wrote:<edit>

The Delete Post button is your friend. :lol:

Andersong wrote:Hello, I just recently discovered Introversion through the mention of Defcon on Penny Arcade. I've immeadetly tried both the Uplink and Darwinia demos, and loved them both.

Now, I've come to understand that there's alot of modding going on for Uplink, and I just wanted to make sure one could partake in these mods if you buy the Steam version.

If I remember correctly, old Half Life mods didn't work on Steam when it first arrived, but had to be adapted. That's why I'm bothering you with this question :)

Anyways, hope this question hasn't been asked elsewhere. I searched around a bit, but didn't find a fitting topic.

This question has been asked before, but I haven't heard of anyone downloading it specifically from Steam.

What is the title of your version of Uplink? Is it something like "Uplink: Hacker Elite"? If that be the case, mods; and patches from this website won't work on it. Else, if you have the "Uplink: Trust is a Weakness" title, mods and patches will work perfectly for you. :)

Also, the best place to get Modifications for Uplink is through http://www.modlink.net
dunetrooper
level4
level4

Postby dunetrooper » Thu Aug 24, 2006 7:48 pm

Hacker101 wrote:
dunetrooper wrote:<edit>

The Delete Post button is your friend. :lol:

yeah but then I lose the one measly little post count and if I were to delete it now you would look like an idiot...... hmmm maybe I should :)

Or I could just be like babylon5 and answer every single post that's new with a dumb one sentence answer... but I like to look intelligent.
I wasn't here.
Babylon5
level5
level5

Postby Babylon5 » Thu Aug 24, 2006 8:39 pm

dunetrooper wrote:Or I could just be like babylon5 and answer every single post that's new with a dumb one sentence answer... but I like to look intelligent.

=O

I thought we had something!

No, I have NOT fixed my speakers.
frenchfrog
level5
level5

Postby frenchfrog » Thu Aug 24, 2006 8:53 pm

To answer the question more precisely, mod that replace Uplink.exe won't work. But like already said, theme, gateway and LAN should work.
dunetrooper
level4
level4

Postby dunetrooper » Thu Aug 24, 2006 9:11 pm

Babylon5 wrote:
dunetrooper wrote:Or I could just be like babylon5 and answer every single post that's new with a dumb one sentence answer... but I like to look intelligent.

=O

I thought we had something!

Ha ha ha, I won't even think about you till I have more posts than you.....

But no we don't I've always had the hots for Iris sorry. :D

I just find it hilarious and also kinda annoying whenever I visit the forums and see that almost every single topic in every single section had babylon5 in the most recent post spot. And then I go to read the topic and see a question and the latest post has nothing to do with the topic (generally) is no more than six words and most often makes absolutely no sense...

But it's all good.
I wasn't here.
Babylon5
level5
level5

Postby Babylon5 » Thu Aug 24, 2006 9:14 pm

dunetrooper wrote:Ha ha ha, I won't even think about you till I have more posts than you.....

Good luck with that :wink:

And no, I couldn't think of anything longer than 6 words to reply to you with :P

No, I have NOT fixed my speakers.
dunetrooper
level4
level4

Postby dunetrooper » Thu Aug 24, 2006 9:18 pm

See what I mean? But hey at least it gives me a good laugh when I need it.
I wasn't here.
Hacker101
level3
level3

Postby Hacker101 » Fri Aug 25, 2006 1:04 am

Ahh! What have I done!?

I knew I should have thought twice before critizising a Veteran.
and Haha @ you wanting to make me look like an idiot. :P

But BTW, making a post with only "<edit>" and your explanation of why you edited it, isn't really worth 1 more post and doesn't make you look very intelligent... I hate to tell you. :)
dunetrooper
level4
level4

Postby dunetrooper » Fri Aug 25, 2006 3:42 am

Is that better?

Is this what it's supposed to feel like babylon5?
I wasn't here.
doormat
level4
level4

Postby doormat » Fri Aug 25, 2006 4:01 pm

dunetrooper wrote:But no we don't I've always had the hots for Iris sorry. :D

Iris! Harken to how dunetrooper woos thee! :lol:

(And I'd just like to mention that I have more posts than either of you...)
If Barbie is so popular, why do you have to buy her friends?
dunetrooper
level4
level4

Postby dunetrooper » Fri Aug 25, 2006 4:05 pm

And I know several that have yours multiplied several times so I wouldn't be bragging :P

Iris! Harken to how dunetrooper woos thee!

Damn straight, she'll never guess who her secret admirer is, but she'd probably call it a stalker.....

*runs*
*hides*
*sigh*
I wasn't here.
Montyphy
level5
level5

Postby Montyphy » Sat Aug 26, 2006 11:10 pm

Hacker101 wrote:What is the title of your version of Uplink? Is it something like "Uplink: Hacker Elite"? If that be the case, mods; and patches from this website won't work on it. Else, if you have the "Uplink: Trust is a Weakness" title, mods and patches will work perfectly for you. :)

There is no such thing as "Uplink: Trust is a Weakness". The game is called "Uplink" and had the tagline "Trust is a Weakness". However, SF changed the name of the version they were supplying to "Uplink: Hacker Elite".

The tagline is NOT the name, if that was the case then "Alien" would be known as "Alien: No One In Space Can Hear You Scream".

dunetrooper wrote:
Hacker101 wrote:The Delete Post button is your friend. Laughing

yeah but then I lose the one measly little post count and if I were to delete it now you would look like an idiot...... hmmm maybe I should Smile

Except you can't delete a post if someone posts after the one you want to delete.
Uplink help: Check out the Guide or FAQ.
Latest Uplink patch is v1.55.

Return to “General”