Difference between Hacker Elite and Trust is a Weakness?

Anything and Everything about Uplink

Moderators: jelco, bert_the_turtle, Chris, Icepick, Rkiver

DarkestHour
level0

Difference between Hacker Elite and Trust is a Weakness?

Postby DarkestHour » Mon Aug 21, 2006 5:53 am

What's the difference between the two versions of Uplink I'm seeing out there: Uplink: Hacker Elite and Trust is a Weakness? Thinking of buying the game, it's awsome!
In darkness there is strength...
alphager
level3
level3

Postby alphager » Mon Aug 21, 2006 7:52 am

No difference; it's just the name.
Deepsmeg
level5
level5

Postby Deepsmeg » Mon Aug 21, 2006 8:08 am

One's legal, the other's not!
alphager
level3
level3

Postby alphager » Mon Aug 21, 2006 9:17 am

Aren't both strictly speaking legal (at least in the US), because Introversion can't cancel the contract ?
Darksun
level5
level5

Postby Darksun » Mon Aug 21, 2006 9:54 am

The Hacker Elite version has been modified so that mods and patches don't work with it.
Montyphy
level5
level5

Postby Montyphy » Mon Aug 21, 2006 4:06 pm

Wasn't "Trust is a Weakness" just a tag line and not actually part of the title? There was "Uplink" and then "Uplink: Hacker Elite", pretty sure this has been said many times.

Anyway, why doesn't the ID photo in this look familar? Did the SF version have additional ID photos or is it from a mod?
Uplink help: Check out the Guide or FAQ.
Latest Uplink patch is v1.55.
xyzyxx
level5
level5

Postby xyzyxx » Mon Aug 21, 2006 4:13 pm

Well anyway, on with the real story.

"Trust is a Weakness" is the official version of the game, sold direct from Introversion. It can be shipped anywhere in the world or bought in shops in the UK.

"Hacker Elite" is a version distributed by Strategy First in the United States shops. At some point, SF ran into financial difficulties and stopped paying royalties to IV. The version is still sold in many forms, however. Some newer editions of this version have been modified to include Registration Codes (Unlock the full version from a demo version) and the modified versions do not work with Mods.

***EDIT***
Montyphy wrote:Wasn't "Trust is a Weakness" just a tag line and not actually part of the title? There was "Uplink" and then "Uplink: Hacker Elite", pretty sure this has been said many times.
You're right about that.
Montyphy wrote:Anyway, why doesn't the ID photo in this look familar? Did the SF version have additional ID photos or is it from a mod?
I think that's from the FBI mod.
Some people talk because they have something to say. Others talk because they have to say something.
Toby
level2
level2

Postby Toby » Tue Aug 22, 2006 9:50 pm

hi people

to be honest, i thought the two names were exactly the same game, and that uplink was called, uplink: hacker elite, trust is a weakness

thanx

i mean i agree actually with what montyphy put unless i didn't explain it
DarkestHour
level0

Postby DarkestHour » Wed Aug 23, 2006 7:21 am

Alright, thanks for the help guys! I'll just buy the game direct from Introversion, I want them to get the money for it. It is by far one of the best games I've ever played! Can't wait to play the full version! =D
In darkness there is strength...

Return to “General”