Revisit: Must Have Mods

Anything and Everything about Uplink

Moderators: jelco, bert_the_turtle, Chris, Icepick, Rkiver

xptical
level0

Revisit: Must Have Mods

Postby xptical » Mon Mar 27, 2006 2:39 am

So, way back in the day, I bought Uplink. I think I got upset when I was trying to get the client/server feature to work and put the disc away. But, after seeing a copycat in a computer magazine, I figured I'd try it out again.

So, for starters, what versions are out there? I saw Hacker Elite, and Trust is a Weakness. What other versions are avalable? What are the differences?

Next, what's with IV stopping people from selling UL? It's not like major companies just copy and distribute without thinking they have the right. Was there some fallout with a US publisher?

Is the version distributed with Stardock valid?

And, lastly, what are the must-have mods for UL? I'm looking at "Simply UL" right now. What other things would you suggest?
Mas Tnega
level5
level5

Postby Mas Tnega » Mon Mar 27, 2006 3:00 am

Versions: Uplink, and Uplink Hacker: Elite.

Differences: Some version of U:HE was rendered incompatible with all mods. The name.

Publishing issue: Strategy First, the publishers of U:HE, filed for bankruptcy. As U:HE is being sold without IV getting anything for it (tantamount to theft, if not actually theft), IV are sending out the Cease & Desists. Presumably, all versions of U:HE are no longer to be distributed.

Must have mods: Simply Uplink. FBI. (Note: Game saves from one version will almost certainly not work with another)
xptical
level0

Postby xptical » Mon Mar 27, 2006 3:21 am

So, what's with Trust is a Weakness?

That's sad about the mods not being compatable. I'd like to use Simply along with the IRC and MP3 mods. ANd maybe pr0n Uplink.
Mas Tnega
level5
level5

Postby Mas Tnega » Mon Mar 27, 2006 3:22 am

It is just a slogan.
N0ught
level3
level3

Postby N0ught » Mon Mar 27, 2006 3:48 pm

ONLY buy copies of Uplink from Introversion directly.

They are the only "legit" copies available right now. "Hacker Elite" was being produced by a now bankrupt company (Strategy First), and most of the pirated copies you can find are copies of "Hacker Elite", not Uplink.

This is because, upon declaring bankruptcy, Strategy First probably liquidated their stock of Hacker Elite to any distributor they could get a hold of. These companies are now technically distributing the game illegally.

It's not like major companies just copy and distribute without thinking they have the right.

Sure they do. If they think IV doesn't have enough money to sue them. And this is specifically why IV has opted to distribute the game themselves. There will never be any issues of legality that way.

There is no disputing that Introversion is the sole intellectual owner of Uplink - no one could ever take that away from them. That doesn't mean the companies with pirated copies won't continue to try to make their bucks until IV has the momentum to sue the crap out of them.

All in all, it's interesting how these companies so rabidly tried to pirate Uplink. It's almost a compliment. :D
Ozymandias IV
level4
level4

Postby Ozymandias IV » Mon Mar 27, 2006 10:34 pm

Since when does Uplink cost 30 Euros?
Darksun
level5
level5

Postby Darksun » Mon Mar 27, 2006 11:15 pm

Ozymandias IV wrote:Since when does Uplink cost 30 Euros?

Since uhh... long time? It's £20/$€30
vooshy
level2
level2

Postby vooshy » Tue Mar 28, 2006 1:00 am

good price realistically! its worth 2,000 uk pennies if you ask me.
ShadowFox37
level1
level1

Postby ShadowFox37 » Thu Mar 30, 2006 2:55 am

I dunno about suing though...I almost have a feeling of deja vu. First Bungie refuses to support Halo PC and now we have IV completely forgetting the very game that made it so popular in the first place...Well maybe not entirely forget but why not make a sequel? What I'm basically trying to say is that IV probably wouldn't sue because they didn't care enough. But I'm rather new to the Uplink community, so that may be just me...
Stewsburntmonkey
level5
level5

Postby Stewsburntmonkey » Thu Mar 30, 2006 3:01 am

Introversion doesn't want to make a sequel because they don't want to do the same thing over again. They prefer to develop new games (which may or may not make as much money as an Uplink sequel would) rather than rehashing old success. :)
sir hackalot
level3
level3

Postby sir hackalot » Fri Mar 31, 2006 2:39 am

ShadowFox37 wrote:I dunno about suing though...I almost have a feeling of deja vu. First Bungie refuses to support Halo PC and now we have IV completely forgetting the very game that made it so popular in the first place...Well maybe not entirely forget but why not make a sequel? What I'm basically trying to say is that IV probably wouldn't sue because they didn't care enough. But I'm rather new to the Uplink community, so that may be just me...

What would the sequal be like? it would be a slightly different storyline with a few added mission types and probably a few added bonuses as well. Which any modder could do if he spent the time on it.
Mas Tnega
level5
level5

Postby Mas Tnega » Fri Mar 31, 2006 4:22 am

Or make a version that can do any plot you want, as long as the user has a text file containing some script written in some pointlessly elaborate language of the modder's or modders' design.
Boosh! Uplinks 3 to 10 two weeks later!

Return to “General”