Just a thought.....

Anything and Everything about Uplink

Moderators: jelco, bert_the_turtle, Chris, Icepick, Rkiver

LoRd 51n15t3r
level1
level1

Just a thought.....

Postby LoRd 51n15t3r » Tue Jan 24, 2006 8:02 pm

I know this post is going to draw a lot of attacks but I ave to ask this.

Why is it that most "NOT ALL" of the veterans here consider questions asked by new members as "stupid, idiotic, under-rated, not important, atack opportunities" and all in all a chance to show just how much they dont care about actually answering the questions. Logic dictates that if something annoys you, ignore it, not attack it.

Just a thought.
Let the onslaught begin......
All that is needed for evil to triumph is for good men to do nothing.
Ozymandias IV
level4
level4

Postby Ozymandias IV » Tue Jan 24, 2006 8:26 pm

Because this is the general forum, not the hints and tips forum.
doormat
level4
level4

Postby doormat » Tue Jan 24, 2006 10:22 pm

I can't think of a example from the last few weeks.

I think you've latched onto an old debate because you're trying to start a flame war.

If you're here to ask questions, ask. If you're here to comment on threads, comment. If you're just here to moan about the decor, the door is to your left.
If Barbie is so popular, why do you have to buy her friends?
LoRd 51n15t3r
level1
level1

Postby LoRd 51n15t3r » Tue Jan 24, 2006 11:19 pm

My comments are directed to the general attitude. My goal is not a flame war as you put it, but as someone who is new here the attitude I was greeted with was, least of all, piss poor. I love this game and a really like surfing the net in general but to see a forum for Uplink dominated by a select few who make anyone new to forums or new to this site feel like a "fucking idiot" as it was put by some, kind of makes someone want to become a major prick in return. The point of this post was to simply bring some attention to the issue and nothing more. After my very first post in the forum, it was clear to me that many here do not really welcome newcomers and that is a sad thing. I posted, without my knowing the issue was discussed, a post about the possibility of Uplink 2 and was answered with "highly respectable" posts.

My question is simple: Why be an asshole when you can simply give an answer without the extra bs statements to go along with it?

Now, if that is moaning then yes, I am moaning. Why should I be made to feel like an outsider when I share the same motivation to be here as many others?
doormat
level4
level4

Postby doormat » Tue Jan 24, 2006 11:41 pm

Well, guess what? You've hit another topic that's already been discussed. :)

I was new here quite recently, and was never made to feel as though I was an idiot, but then, I knew how to use a search function. :lol: The bottom line is that, sometimes, it can take a while to get the lay of the land and figure out what's going on. For the aid of new members, the following topics are usualy started by morons. Starting one of these topics, will, unfortunatly, make you look like a moron;

Uplink 2. (We've heard it all before. This comes in 2 diffrent flavours - the "I'm going to moan about IV not making it" or "I'm going to make it myself in flash/QBASIC/D&D 3rd Ed.")

The Voice Analyser (specificaly, how to make your microphone work.)

Warez (Including copy protection questions.)

"Real Hacking" (for example "where can I get a "real" copy of the Uplink client, or "is uplink actualy real?")

"How do I complete X mission?" (There is a full walkthough on this site, if you look in the tips section.)

"How do I hack a bank?" (Ditto)

"Hey, I just bought a copy of Uplink from those nice Strat. First people, and now your patches won't work!" (The strat first copy of the game is moral warez and is broken.)

Anything IN CAPS or even worse 1n l33T 5p3Ak.

This is not even a complete list. These forums have been around for a while, and Uplink attracts a cirtain kind of "l33t haXor" fantasist, so we have to put up with a lot. We arn't all bad, once you get to know us. :wink:
Last edited by doormat on Tue Jan 24, 2006 11:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
If Barbie is so popular, why do you have to buy her friends?
edd8990
level5
level5

Postby edd8990 » Tue Jan 24, 2006 11:44 pm

Your first thread was asking about uplink two. Five seconds using the search search button would have answered your question. Yours was one of hundred of similar posts that have been made on this forum (Although admittidly, better grammar) Now considering there was a forum right below the one you posted in called "The Future - Ideas for future addons and sequels" What did you seriously expect?
vooshy
level2
level2

Postby vooshy » Wed Jan 25, 2006 1:55 am

just a thought, wish it was more thought through. people around here are very friendly. i have been here for many years and we see many people. although uplink 2 has been raised many times on the board i do agree people should just not post replies to it if they feel it is wrong. i personally live in hope someone will get off their ass and finish one but it does look doubtful. oh well welcome anyway we vets arent all bad.
Stewsburntmonkey
level5
level5

Postby Stewsburntmonkey » Wed Jan 25, 2006 3:47 am

One reason for some of the harsher comments is that unless there is this sort of response the "stupid" (for lack of a better word) posts just keep comming and will overwhelm the form. One of the reasons this community has lasted as long as it has is that idiots are not tolerated for the most part. You can argue whether this is a good method, but it seems to work.
Rkiver
level5
level5

Postby Rkiver » Wed Jan 25, 2006 11:22 am

We don't respond well to new people who tend to be a bit idiotic. Your post was such because just one forum down there was a whole section on the future, and about Uplink 2 never happening.

Your response was to attack a vet of the forum, which garnered you more attacks from other members of the forum, you then responsed to those and dug yourself a bigger hole. And around and around it goes.

In short, show some intelligence, use the search function, read a few of the forums, and don't attack those who were here before you are good guide lines. Follow them and you will get along pretty easily.

And yes this has already been debated to hell and back. We established a long time ago I can be a complete asshole. I can also be a good friend. Depends what side you want me on.
Uplink help: Read the FAQ
coolsi
level5
level5

Re: Just a thought.....

Postby coolsi » Wed Jan 25, 2006 12:48 pm

LoRd 51n15t3r wrote:I know this post is going to draw a lot of attacks but I ave to ask this.

Why is it that most "NOT ALL" of the veterans here consider questions asked by new members as "stupid, idiotic, under-rated, not important, atack opportunities" and all in all a chance to show just how much they dont care about actually answering the questions. Logic dictates that if something annoys you, ignore it, not attack it.

Just a thought.
Let the onslaught begin......

Because they are stupid, idotic, under-rated and not important themselves. Unfortunately it's something which has been happening for a while now and it's the usual culprits.
LoRd 51n15t3r
level1
level1

Postby LoRd 51n15t3r » Wed Jan 25, 2006 6:47 pm

Whatever, yada yada yada, the mistake is not yours but the mistake of those who look to become friendly with others. Next time, simply put a sign on the door or a tag on the HTML page header saying NEW PEOPLE NOT WELCOME and QUESTIONS REASKED WILL BE LYNCHED.
You fault me for my retort to the post of a veteran, simply take a look at my first post and tell me if I expressed any ill will or any wish to be jumped on by everyone with a hard-on to prove a point in this forum.
In short, if I am at fault for posting without having had the time to search the forum in detail then make sure that when someone is searching the net they get dropped off at the front door and not linked directly to a page within the forum.
But then again, it is to much of a problem for most to take things like that into consideration before responding to posts.
Stewsburntmonkey
level5
level5

Postby Stewsburntmonkey » Wed Jan 25, 2006 7:06 pm

First, I think it is incumbent on anyone entering a new group to make some effort to understand the group dynamics. If they don't then they cannot complain about not being welcomed.

Second you want people to take time to consider your posts before they respond, yet you don't feel the need to consider your post before you post them? That is rather hypocritical. The problem with your original post is not that you didn't search through all the posts on the forums, but that you didn't even both to make sure you put your post in the correct section and in doing so missed all the other posts that are exactly like yours. It would have take a second (literally) to scan the forum index to see that there is an entire section dedicated called "The Future".

Third, while some of the responses to your posts have been rather vicious, the initial one's were not so bad. They simply pointed out that you posted in the wrong section and that if you would have looked in the correct section you would have found your answer immediately. It was not until you starting insulting people that people starting insulting you.

Fourth, new members join the community on a regular basis. Those who show intelligence and maturity are welcomed with open arms. If you want to be welcomed show some intelligence and some respect and you will be, otherwise you will open yourself to ridicule. That applies not only to this forum but to virtually every community in history. :)
LoRd 51n15t3r
level1
level1

Postby LoRd 51n15t3r » Wed Jan 25, 2006 7:32 pm

To understand the dynamics of a group, the group must also show willingness to be understood.
You can not throw a child into the deep end of a pool and tell him swim. He will drown. Just as well, you can not enter a new group and be when expected to understand what he/she meant when he/she said.........
As for posting in the wrong area, well, when clicking a link from a search engine, many do not have the luxury of being dropped off at the front door.
I respect what you say and you are correct on many points but a coin has two sides and usually all things should be considered.
Stewsburntmonkey
level5
level5

Postby Stewsburntmonkey » Wed Jan 25, 2006 7:40 pm

If you just post in the section that whatever search engine you used sent you to then that is your fault. You can easily find the main index through a quick examination of the various links on any page of this forum. The fact that you did not do so before posting is no one's fault but your own. However everyone makes mistakes, and new members are expected to make more than others. However when you make a mistake it is generally better to appologise for the mistake and work to correct it, rather than lash out at those who call you on your mistake. :)
LoRd 51n15t3r
level1
level1

Postby LoRd 51n15t3r » Wed Jan 25, 2006 7:49 pm

In general, I did not lash out for being "called on a mistake". I mistook the tone of the post.
Anyhow, I think enough has been said about this overall.

Return to “General”