uplink reg codes

Anything and Everything about Uplink

Moderators: jelco, bert_the_turtle, Chris, Icepick, Rkiver

josh70720
level0

uplink reg codes

Postby josh70720 » Thu Nov 10, 2005 7:56 am

since nobody cares to give out the codecard to somebody that does have the game i went to comp usa and bought a new copy for 10 bucks has the codecard but thats it nothing else anyway thanks for naught
ReflectingGod
level5
level5

Postby ReflectingGod » Thu Nov 10, 2005 8:19 am

Yay! Finally someone got the idea and went and did the right thing! :D
Last edited by ReflectingGod on Thu Nov 10, 2005 11:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
ME!

Procrastination - Hard work often pays of after time, but laziness always pays off now!

**Bibo ergo sum!**
Babylon5
level5
level5

Postby Babylon5 » Thu Nov 10, 2005 10:12 am

ReflectingGod wrote:Yay! Finally someone got the idea and went a did the right thing! :D

Huzzah!

No, I have NOT fixed my speakers.
Agent Spike
level2
level2

Postby Agent Spike » Thu Nov 10, 2005 12:17 pm

Methinks josh70720 feels unloved on this forum :P Oh well, I don't suppose we will have to put up with him asking for the codes any more. Oh, and btw for those of you that have noticed, I haven't been on this for a while... its because I simply havent had the time.
Mr. Roboto
level4
level4

Postby Mr. Roboto » Thu Nov 10, 2005 4:26 pm

ReflectingGod wrote:Yay! Finally someone got the idea and went and did the right thing! :D

I hate to tell you this, but that version he got from CompUSA is the Strategy First version. Meaning Introversion will get nothing from that sale. :evil: Plus, he got a screwed version that won't work with mods.

It may be a step above stealing or cracking the codes, but you still think he did the right thing?
Darksun
level5
level5

Postby Darksun » Thu Nov 10, 2005 5:40 pm

Yes.
Mas Tnega
level5
level5

Postby Mas Tnega » Thu Nov 10, 2005 7:08 pm

In all fairness, it was a replacement copy, for a replacement card. Why force him to pay more than the bare minimum for it? He should already own a non-screwy version that is compatible with the mods. Besides, if he genuinely lost the card, and got the codes from the internet, so what? Someone already has his money.
nightperson
level1
level1

Postby nightperson » Fri Nov 11, 2005 5:54 am

Having read a few posts regarding to the codecard, I also wonder why people here have to make a great deal of it. Have any of you never lost a keycode or password? I don't think I'm the only one who would lose a keycode in the world. I don't understand why you guys have to treat everyone who lost the codecard as a thief. I guess one should never lose his codes but must lose his TRUST in order to survive in the hacking world.
Darksun
level5
level5

Postby Darksun » Fri Nov 11, 2005 10:14 am

We don't treat people who lose their codecards as theives, we just don't give out codecards to people because there's no way for us to establish whether they really bought the game or not.

If someone who loses the codecard finds one for free on the internet, I don't really care, but *I* won't tell them where to find it
Babylon5
level5
level5

Postby Babylon5 » Fri Nov 11, 2005 10:42 am

Mr. Roboto wrote:It may be a step above stealing or cracking the codes, but you still think he did the right thing?

Yep.

What would you have done?

No, I have NOT fixed my speakers.
Mr. Roboto
level4
level4

Postby Mr. Roboto » Fri Nov 11, 2005 3:51 pm

Babylon5 wrote:
Mr. Roboto wrote:It may be a step above stealing or cracking the codes, but you still think he did the right thing?

Yep.

What would you have done?

Ordered another from Introversion. As long as the IV crew got the money, I'll be happy. :)
If josh had the IV version and bought the SF version to replace the IV version's card, I'll consider it all good.
dunetrooper
level4
level4

Postby dunetrooper » Fri Nov 11, 2005 7:46 pm

<this reply has been personally snipped due to lack of anything inteligent having been said>
I wasn't here.
nightperson
level1
level1

Postby nightperson » Fri Nov 11, 2005 10:17 pm

Yes, right! You guys don't not threat them as thieves. Then what are all the humiliating for? Just because it is fun? or Just because of your being suspicious that they don't have a legit copy in hand? Whatever you read on this page is already much 'better' than the posts under another topic with similar subject matter. Or am I one of the few people here who are too sensitive to sense it?

I didn't say that you should give out the codes but there are better approaches to let them know they would never get the codes from the forum. The simplest way is just to ignore them, not reply at all.

Actually, the more posts I read from this forum, the more irritated I feel. A lot of posts here are filled with rudenss and humiliation. People are often called idiot or retard when they ask a newbie question. I didn't know that introversion only welcome genius as their customers; otherwise, I who consider myself as an average person would have never bought its product.

And I am one of the unfortunate people who bought a screwed version of Uplink from a local store in Canada. While we are already frustrated with the product we bought, you guys keep telling us that we made a dumb purchase and should buy another version from Introversion. How the hell should we know there are two versions of the game; one is screwed and the other is better. If Uplink had enough publicity in North America, it wouldn't need Strategy First to do the job for them in the first place, would it? Do you really think SF would openly let us know there is a better version on the net? After having read the posts that you guys wrote about , I feel being cheated not by SF but by Introversion. I don't think we paid less than the people in Europe. Why are there two versions? Why is the one we got not compatible with the mods? So we could be forced to buy another version from Introversion if we want to play with the mods badly? So they could make money from both sides and we had to pay twice for the supposingly same product you got?

As a customer, I come here for service, help, information, and hopefully some fun. I don't come here for a fight or giving someone a hard time and I definitely don't come here for being humiliated. As a customer as well, you don't have to offer help but you also have no right to humiliate the others. If you do believe that buying a legit copy of the game is right thing to do, then you should also realize that respecting the others is a right thing to do as well.

This forum is a part of Introversion. Whatever shown here somehow represents Introversion and is its image to its customer. Do you really think how and what you have expressed in this forum is helping and protecting Introversion? I don't know about Europeans but I wonder if there are any Canadians or Americans would be gladly find another product of Introversion on the shelves of their local stores. I would definitely not. But then what do you care? As not being a genius on the game, I'm not welcome here anyway. If I carelessly lost my codecard, I had better not to show my face at all. Right?
Darksun
level5
level5

Postby Darksun » Sat Nov 12, 2005 12:31 am

While I do agree with some of your sentiments about the flaming of Strategy First product users, there are a couple of things I would like to correct

nightperson wrote:I didn't say that you should give out the codes but there are better approaches to let them know they would never get the codes from the forum. The simplest way is just to ignore them, not reply at all.

I see nothing wrong with politely explaining the situation, which I believe the majority of users do. Admittadly, there are some flamers, but I believe them to be the minority

How the hell should we know there are two versions of the game; one is screwed and the other is better. If Uplink had enough publicity in North America, it wouldn't need Strategy First to do the job for them in the first place, would it?

Introversion is a tiny company started with an investment of just a few hundred pounds. When they signed the deal with Strategy First, they had nowhere near the kind of resources to market and distribute Uplink in the US and Canada by themselves.

After having read the posts that you guys wrote about , I feel being cheated not by SF but by Introversion. I don't think we paid less than the people in Europe. Why are there two versions? Why is the one we got not compatible with the mods? So we could be forced to buy another version from Introversion if we want to play with the mods badly? So they could make money from both sides and we had to pay twice for the supposingly same product you got?

Actually, Introversion do not get money from the sale of Strategy First versions of Uplink. They filed for bankruptcy a couple of years ago, essentially denying Introversion of any royalties. The modification to Uplink which renders some mods unplayable only occurs in later releases, the downloadable, bundled and 'budget' versions of Uplink:HE - these were all released AFTER strategy first ceased communication with Introversion.

As a customer, I come here for service, help, information

Well, these forums are an informal meeting place for fans of Uplink, not an official information channel for Introversion. Service, help and information can be found on the main Uplink site - Introversion have no control over the users here, and the majority of us are in no way affilliated with Uplink or Introversion, other than being fans of the game. I understand you seeing the community as 'the face of introversion' - but that's like saying a football team are all violent criminals because some of their fans are hooligans.
nightperson
level1
level1

Postby nightperson » Sat Nov 12, 2005 3:06 am

I don't want to start a debate here. I honestly hope that some officials of Introversion could be here to clear things up for both you and me. But from whatever you said in the above post, I can see where the problem is.

As you said, you are not an official of Uplink or Introversion, I'm not sure if I can take your word for it. Are you certain this is not an official forum of Introversion/Uplink? Are you sure it is a place for fans only to hang out? Are you definitely sure it is not a forum for all Uplink customers to seek for help?

I got a great impression from Introversion homepage that this is an official forum for the game, Uplink. Other than a list of links, the page has 5 big buttons on it and one of them links to this forum. The page also offers a link to other sites which has a list of fan sites but does not include this forum. If you clicked at the link contact us at the bottom of the page, you will find lines saying that
Before submitting a query, please make sure you have checked the Uplink or Darwinia forums as the answers to most questions can be found there.

If you go to the page of Uplink, www.uplink.co.uk, and click on the FAQ link, you would find the forum policy. Simple company has simply rules but it still implies that this forum is totally under the control of Uplink, i.e Introverstion and monitored by its representives. If you open the contact us link on the same page, you will find the following:

If you have comments or questions about Uplink, the Forum is the place for you. Post your queries here and they will be answered by one of us or someone else in no time.

From how Introvesion presents this forum to the public on Introverstion and Uplink home pages, I don't think I would be the only one here misled to assume that this is an official forum for all Uplink customers.

While you treat this forum as a place for fans to hang out, you consider yourselves have the all rights to push newbies away. No wonder I always found lines saying something like,
Idiot! Go away!

Retard! Get off my forum!

However, to the rest of us, we believe it is a place for us to get help, service and information from Uplink as we are told by the information on its homepages. So , unless an official representive of Introversion or Uplink comes forward and says otherwise, I do believe, as a customer of Uplink, each one of us has every right to come here to seek for help, service, and information, including asking a dumb question, as long as we give respect to the forum and the people who are using it.

[b]see nothing wrong with politely explaining the situation, which I believe the majority of users do. Admittadly, there are some flamers, but I believe them to be the minority

Right! I do agree with you 100% here. I see nothing wrong with politely explaining the situation either. Could you however find a line which you would take it as politely explaining the situation on this page or any other pages? Yes, I did come upon a good/polite response. But one is all I have found so far.

Regarding to the conflict between Strategy First and Introversion, it is an unfortunate outcome. In the business world, sometimes you lose and sometimes you win. But the fault never goes to the customers. We are more innocent than Introversion is. We are certainly not the ones to be punished or humiliated for the unfortunate consequence that Introversion is facing.

According to what I read from this forum, I do admire Chris's spirit. I do sincerely hope that he would succeed and get to the point where he is heading. From what you guys wrote, I can tell you are very supportive of him. However, a few fans' support is not enough to get his business properous. If you do care, please be more considerate when you respond to people who comes to ask for help and not to push his customers / potiential fans away.
Last edited by nightperson on Sat Nov 12, 2005 5:05 am, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “General”