Gas prices!!!!!

Anything and Everything about Uplink

Moderators: jelco, bert_the_turtle, Chris, Icepick, Rkiver

Stewsburntmonkey
level5
level5

Postby Stewsburntmonkey » Sat Sep 03, 2005 10:45 pm

The 18.9 figure is liters/100km, we are dealing with mpgs. . . Apparently you can't read a simple table. . .

No, the Modeo was not listed as being in the same class as the Cavelier (though if you compare the non-diesel gas milage they are roughly identical (give or take a mpg or two). The Cavelier is a horrid car that I am glad to see go, but it did get much better mileage than most other cars.

The figure I cited for the Cobra was an EPA figure (that is it was a government test). At this point they have pretty much finalized the 2007 Cobra, dispite what you may want to think.

I would resign this topic if I were you. Every new post just makes you look worse than the last.
doormat
level4
level4

Postby doormat » Sun Sep 04, 2005 12:38 pm

What, you mean like everyone else has? :lol:
If Barbie is so popular, why do you have to buy her friends?
Punisher Bass
level5
level5

Postby Punisher Bass » Sun Sep 04, 2005 12:38 pm

Stews, the Cavelier is still around. Only now they call it the Cobolt. Same shitty car with just a new name. :)
There is no patch for human stupidity.
doormat
level4
level4

Postby doormat » Sun Sep 04, 2005 1:20 pm

The Matiz is a Chevy?

That'll be the Daewoo!

GM are seriously prosituting that brand. You can buy the Chevy Corvette in the UK: but you have to go to a Cadaillac dealer. The Chevy dealer can't help you. I respect the chevy name on anything older than about 1985.

It's sad, considering that chevy built the first (and for a long time only) american muscle/sports car... there realy was nothing like the C1-3 corvettes. ('cept the bizzarini of course, but that was a 'vette in a sharp suit...) They defined a lot of american motoring history, and their best selling car ('cept the impalla) is now built, designed and enginered in korea.

If I were a yank, I would be seriously pissed. There was enough hassle when Jaguar used a load of ford parts in the X-type: there would be a boycot if they started selling some asian car with jaguar badges!

Of course, none of this has anything to do with gas prices...:lol:
Stewsburntmonkey
level5
level5

Postby Stewsburntmonkey » Sun Sep 04, 2005 5:40 pm

Punisher Bass wrote:Stews, the Cavelier is still around. Only now they call it the Cobolt. Same shitty car with just a new name. :)

No, the Cobalt replaced the Cavelier, but its a totally different car. Its actually a pretty good car.
Spectere_uplink
level4
level4

Postby Spectere_uplink » Sun Sep 04, 2005 7:12 pm

I dunno, I saw bluish smoke coming from the tailpipe of a Cobalt SS. :/ That's usually not a good thing.

I have to say, I'm glad I have a pre-Ecotec Saturn. The Ecotec engines just don't seem to have as much kick as the 1.9L Saturn DOHC engine (to be honest, I can't say that from personal experience; I've only been a passenger in an Ecotec-powered Cavalier, and the supercharged ones probably do move pretty quickly), and they're really not any better on gas.

Maintenance is another really important thing when you think about it. My Saturn has been wonderful thus far. All of the repairs that are necessary around the 75,000 mile point have been easy and cheap, and changing the plugs and wires took roughly five minutes. Even changing the valve cover gasket was a quick job.
.what.
Stewsburntmonkey
level5
level5

Postby Stewsburntmonkey » Sun Sep 04, 2005 7:38 pm

doormat wrote:The Matiz is a Chevy?

That'll be the Daewoo!

GM bought Daewoo automotive, when Daewoo collapsed. The Matiz is a popular car in the UK so they made the fairly obvious choice to continue its production. Is it really that hard to understand? Where did this come from anyway? I didn't see anyone mention the Matiz. . .

Spectere: Blue smoke generally means the car is burning oil. Generally this is not a good sign, but I would assume that this is a problem specific to that particular car you saw. I would not infer anything about the Cobalt in general based on a single incident.
doormat
level4
level4

Postby doormat » Mon Sep 05, 2005 8:48 pm

No, stews. They continued all the daewoo range for ages without any problem, but decided (after much market study or something) that chevy had a slightly better public image, so they rebranded.

Like I said, we have chevy dealerships, and they sell daewoos. That's all.

Many of the "chevy"'s in america over the last few years have been rebadged japanese things (anyone remember the "conquest"? :lol: )

Truth is, GM is sending the brand right up the *!%£".

But hell, what do I care? 'Cept I'd quite like to own a through-the-hood blown 454 (or 628 ;-) ) chrome-bumper C3 some day and I don't want 17 year olds in their mums old matiz coming up to me and saying "Nice blower; I've got a ton of badly layed fiberglass and an induction kit on my hot chevy!"
Stewsburntmonkey
level5
level5

Postby Stewsburntmonkey » Mon Sep 05, 2005 9:27 pm

Given all the problems with Daewoo are you surprised they rebranded the line? I still don't see what the issue is here, or what got you started on it (other than that it provides you with more America bashing material apparently).
edd8990
level5
level5

Postby edd8990 » Tue Sep 06, 2005 7:48 am

Just going back on topic - Petrol prices passed £1 a liter in England yesterday for the first time. (OK, only in 24 petrol stations across the country, but it has happened.)
doormat
level4
level4

Postby doormat » Tue Sep 06, 2005 6:20 pm

stews: we were talking about the cavalier being re-named. Get over yourself, oh mighty self-appointed train-of-thought conductor. :roll:

And edd: yeah, I know. That works out at almost exactly 7 dollars a gallon. Suck to be us. (Or to be us and fill up on the M25 services more correctly.) I don't get it. We have our own oilfields, so how come price shocks affect us so badly?
Stewsburntmonkey
level5
level5

Postby Stewsburntmonkey » Tue Sep 06, 2005 7:42 pm

The Cavelier wasn't renamed; it was discontinued and replaced by a new design.

I am all for moving in new directions, it just seems like you are wandering aimlessly which is less than productive (at least in this sort of discussion).
Ozymandias IV
level4
level4

Postby Ozymandias IV » Wed Sep 07, 2005 12:47 am

This was written in 2000 by humo(u)r columnist Dave Barry. Just thought you might find it amusing.

Return to “General”