Gas prices!!!!!

Anything and Everything about Uplink

Moderators: jelco, bert_the_turtle, Chris, Icepick, Rkiver

edd8990
level5
level5

Postby edd8990 » Sun Aug 28, 2005 8:03 am

Can I ask why Americans call it gas? LAst time I checked, petrol was a liquid.
The GoldFish
level5
level5

Postby The GoldFish » Sun Aug 28, 2005 1:37 pm

gasoline
-- The GoldFish - member of former GIT and commander in chief of GALLAHAD. You could have done something, but it's been fixed. The end. Also, play bestgameever!
edd8990
level5
level5

Postby edd8990 » Sun Aug 28, 2005 3:08 pm

Ah of course. Thank you.

Petrol is still better :P
camman977
level2
level2

Postby camman977 » Sun Aug 28, 2005 4:47 pm

i really don't care about gas prices, cause i drive around a moped :D
Nitronium
level3
level3

Postby Nitronium » Sun Aug 28, 2005 6:19 pm

If you want to reduce the price of petrol, tell those greedy chinese to stop buying it!

Damn them and their commercial superiority...
edd8990
level5
level5

Postby edd8990 » Sun Aug 28, 2005 8:43 pm

Or just invent an efficient water powered car.
Spectere_uplink
level4
level4

Postby Spectere_uplink » Mon Aug 29, 2005 7:18 am

Hydrogen cars are pretty far along, IIRC. While they are not powered by water, per se, they do produce water for their exhaust. Hydrogen fuel would be extremely cheap compared to the rising price of gasoline.

However, you have to think of it in an economic aspect as well. The availability of the new fuel would be an issue because you know full well that it's not going to be available in all areas right from the get go. Gas stations would still exist, but would have to change their equipment to accomodate the new fuel. New pumps would have to be installed so that the new fuel wouldn't be contaminated with gasoline. Gas stations couldn't be just dealt away with because there are a TON of jobs tied up in that business. Then you have to think about what would happen to the multi-million dollar oil companies out there.

It's just a very tangled web right now. I'm sure, given time, it will sort itself out (it'll wind up being one of those deals where companies that refuse to change will die) but who knows how long it will take for everything to be set in motion?
.what.
LLamaBoy
level5
level5

Postby LLamaBoy » Mon Aug 29, 2005 7:58 am

Yay for greed preventing progress.
doormat
level4
level4

Postby doormat » Mon Aug 29, 2005 11:31 am

The solution will be synthetic hydrocarbons. We can already produce them, but the're like.. 95 dollars a barrel or something. Petrol is now 68. OPEC will do all it can to keep the figure below 80/95, but if they can't, we'll start to see a shift and a slight reduction due to process economies. All existing equipment will still work.

Combine that with all these modern hybrids and particulate traps and what-have-you, and cars will run on petrol forever. They won't polute, the'll do some crazy gas mileage, and the gas will be grown in vats, but things will be pretty much as they are now.

The issue is where the energy to create the hydrocarbons is going to come from. My bet's on geo-thermal or nuke.
If Barbie is so popular, why do you have to buy her friends?
edd8990
level5
level5

Postby edd8990 » Mon Aug 29, 2005 11:39 am

I want a nuclear powered car :D!!!!!
Darksun
level5
level5

Postby Darksun » Mon Aug 29, 2005 11:55 am

Use vegetable oil! Biodiesel ftw!
ReflectingGod
level5
level5

Postby ReflectingGod » Mon Aug 29, 2005 12:52 pm

I want a car that runs on Nitro-methane....
ME!

Procrastination - Hard work often pays of after time, but laziness always pays off now!

**Bibo ergo sum!**
Ozymandias IV
level4
level4

Postby Ozymandias IV » Mon Aug 29, 2005 2:43 pm

I was recently in France (now in London) where gas (petrol) prices are so high compared to the US. In the US people are complaining about gas prices, thinking it's apocalyptic, but Europeans have been paying more than twice what we've been paying for years. I talked with someone from Qatar on the elevator to the Eiffell Tower, and he pays so little, it's amazing. Anyways, the rising gas prices are good for America, since maybe now people will stop buying huge cars which pollute and take up more parking spaces than necessary (I think you could fit 3 smart cars into the space taken up by one medium-large SUV). Also, this will encourage research into methods of fuel other than gasoline.

And the reason gas prices are so cheap in the USA (compared to Europe) is because we have a more conservative government, so we don't have many taxes on our gas.
The GoldFish
level5
level5

Postby The GoldFish » Mon Aug 29, 2005 3:41 pm

that, and who in america is going to vote for anyone who says 'we're going to raise the price of gas'
-- The GoldFish - member of former GIT and commander in chief of GALLAHAD. You could have done something, but it's been fixed. The end. Also, play bestgameever!
doormat
level4
level4

Postby doormat » Mon Aug 29, 2005 3:42 pm

No, the reason the're so cheap is that america is huge. How far away from your school do/did you live? I was 20 miles away and people said that was strainge. How far away from the closest supermarket are you?

America cannot function without the car. The roads are so long and so open that big cars make sense.

Look at it this way: the whole of England would fit into texas 1.3 times. We have 3 times the population of texas in the same space: and texas is the second most populous state in the US!

You pay less for fuel because you use more. If the govement increase tax on fuel, it would cripple the US. That's why americans complain about it so much.

But that's no excuse for using it badly: that's because the US govement wants to protect the US car industry and untill about 5 years ago they were decades behind Japan and the EU on engine design and build quality. No one else would build the trucks the us wanted, so it gave them a safe market. They made car laws very restrictive. The best selling car in the US is a "light truck".

I'm thinking of buying a car now, actualy. I'm looking at the Fiat Panda multijet. It's a super compact, and not an expensive one. It's gonna cost me 25 253 dollars (and like I said, it's not an expensive one.) It will do 75mpg. It is hugely more advanced than anything you can buy in the us.

Would you pay 25 grand for a super-compact? No? THAT's why the US uses so much gas.
If Barbie is so popular, why do you have to buy her friends?

Return to “General”