What do you want to see in a new hacking sim?

Anything and Everything about Uplink

Moderators: jelco, bert_the_turtle, Chris, Icepick, Rkiver

Neoecs
level1
level1

What do you want to see in a new hacking sim?

Postby Neoecs » Sat Aug 06, 2005 6:49 pm

So.. What would you like to see in a new hacking sim? I've played Uplink for a while now, last day I finished the last mission and ended at about 900.000 points. Last day I also decided to program a similar hacking simulator. The game will be made in C++ using the DirectX library for graphics, the WinAPI for the window and FMod for the fancy 3D sound ;) . Anyway, I want ideas. I want to do something new... Something special and very deep.. But how? What software will the game have when it's done? Any ideas for security systems? Any ideas for missions? The HUD? What colors do you guys think will work in an hacking sim? Flood me with ideas please :) . Btw, please dont complain that I'm using DirectX and WinAPI, personally I think Windows is an awesome game OS, thou buggy and crashy, Linux is more for servers... Anyway, thanks in advance :) . I dont wnt answeres like "Hahah!HH!h L0l!!! YOU wiLL neaver suCCED!!1 Lol!lollll...!!", I know it's a large project, I have made large games before. :wink:
Last edited by Neoecs on Sat Aug 06, 2005 8:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Rkiver
level5
level5

Postby Rkiver » Sat Aug 06, 2005 6:52 pm

You have made large games before? Perhaps enlighten us with what you have made. As for a hacking sim, go to the Future thread, it is full of vapourware ideas.
Uplink help: Read the FAQ
Neoecs
level1
level1

Postby Neoecs » Sat Aug 06, 2005 6:55 pm

Well.. I thought the "The Future" room were for "Ideas for future addons and sequels"? This is neither.. :wink:
sweaty bob
level5
level5

Postby sweaty bob » Sat Aug 06, 2005 7:06 pm

Rkiver wrote:You have made large games before? Perhaps enlighten us with what you have made.

Please Answer That.
Flamekebab
level5
level5

Postby Flamekebab » Sat Aug 06, 2005 7:13 pm

If it's just for windows, then lots of us won't be playing it.

But then again, judging by the nature of these projects, no one will be playing it anyway, no offence.
Neoecs
level1
level1

Postby Neoecs » Sat Aug 06, 2005 8:06 pm

Well.. Sorry, this mayby is the wrong forum for this. You may remove the thread. Earlier I made an MMORPG, looks very much like Tibia, and I'm working on an Roguelike game. I will continue this projekt and you may or may not care.

[Edit] I made it to an poll instead.
sweaty bob
level5
level5

Postby sweaty bob » Sun Aug 07, 2005 12:06 am

Neoecs wrote:Well.. Sorry, this mayby is the wrong forum for this. You may remove the thread. Earlier I made an MMORPG, looks very much like Tibia, and I'm working on an Roguelike game. I will continue this projekt and you may or may not care.

[Edit] I made it to an poll instead.

Links? Streenshots?

kthx.
Mr. Roboto
level4
level4

Postby Mr. Roboto » Sun Aug 07, 2005 1:37 am

Well, I'm going to put my two kilobytes in by answering the original question.

I've wondered what it would be like if a hacking sim was able to simulate several of the OSs used on the net. :?: Instead of just a GUI or a console/command line, why not a bit of both?

There are several versions of Windows, each with it's own look and feel. Meantime, mainframes run on Unix and the realy geeky users use Linux. Let's face it, Microsoft does not own the world... yet. There are other OSs other than Windows and Linux/Unix. Some people are yet to migrate from DOS 6.22 and Windows 3.1. Ever hear of OS/2? I have used at work before they moved to Win95. How about NetWare? And let's not forget the Mac OS users (as much as I'd like to! :wink: )

If you can make a hacking sim where the different systems use different OSs, that would be a big breakthrough. 8)
Ozymandias IV
level4
level4

Postby Ozymandias IV » Sun Aug 07, 2005 4:24 am

A hacking sim, Macintosh style. Can't go wrong with that.
Neoecs
level1
level1

Postby Neoecs » Sun Aug 07, 2005 11:53 am

Mr. Roboto, Earlier when I had this idea, i thought about making different OS' for different systems, actually ;) That will be reality in the release. But I dont know what NetWare is.. No question is too hard for Google thou.. Thanks alot for your 2kb's :)

sweaty bob, the Roguelike game is still work on, and the Tibialike crap (Doesn't even have a name) isn't up running, it doesn't even have a map (nor spells and NPC)(but it have scriptinglanguages that makes it able to have NPC' and Spells), it was just some excersise in making scriptinglanguages, gameengines and multiplayer ;)

Ozymandias IV, It will be higly skinable and easy modable, so that wont be a problem.

I have, by the way, changed my mind and will go for Glut, OpenGL and FMod, hope that makes someone happy :P (And of course it will be ported to both Windows, Linux and Mac..) (http://www.gamedev.net/community/forums ... _id=337097 ?!??!??1+? :cry: )
Flamekebab
level5
level5

Postby Flamekebab » Sun Aug 07, 2005 2:37 pm

Yay!

*Alskar platform-independent spel*

Hoppas de faktist blir nott spel..
ScareyedHawk
level5
level5

Postby ScareyedHawk » Sun Aug 07, 2005 3:05 pm

I see you still suck at Swedish, Kebab on fire
Flamekebab
level5
level5

Postby Flamekebab » Sun Aug 07, 2005 4:40 pm

MUCHLY!

Nah, I can speak it, but writing, heh, forget it.
Neoecs
level1
level1

Postby Neoecs » Sun Aug 07, 2005 5:56 pm

Hehe.. That bad aren't you ;)

But well... I started at the windows management already, it will take some more time as I'm better at DirectX, but it will be done sonely. When my über advanced window manager is done I will release a smaal tech demo ;)

Later I will do some WYSIWYG window maker, saving the windows to xml files ;)

And btw, the right scentence would be "*Älskar plattforms-independanta spel*" and "Hoppas det faktiskt blir nått spel" (I think) Or no.. The right scentence would be "må din blåa penis bli nerstampad av hundrafemtio brunstiga kameler och sedan körd i en köksasistent med tomatsås!" ask your teacher what that means.
Stewsburntmonkey
level5
level5

Postby Stewsburntmonkey » Sun Aug 07, 2005 6:08 pm

Its always a bad sign when people start right in on the GUI. . .

Well at least we all know where this project is headed.

Return to “General”