Uplink Hacker Elite

Anything and Everything about Uplink

Moderators: jelco, bert_the_turtle, Chris, Icepick, Rkiver

Stewsburntmonkey
level5
level5

Postby Stewsburntmonkey » Sat Jul 23, 2005 7:35 pm

The Brits did. Most world maps were English (because of their navy) and so when a standard needed to be set, the English one was used.
doormat
level4
level4

Postby doormat » Sat Jul 23, 2005 9:55 pm

Stews: Have I been arguing anything? Maps are complicated. American maps have america in the middle, and destort russia. Maps are important. The zero meridian goes through Grenwich.

Not exactly controvertial. :P

Oh, and BTW: I'm an economist too, remember? If I tried, I'm sure I could grasp the maths on that site. But that's cylindrical projections on mathamaticly perfect shapes, not spherical projections on imperfect ones. And just because it may not be over our heads, doesn't make it simple. :wink:
If Barbie is so popular, why do you have to buy her friends?
Stewsburntmonkey
level5
level5

Postby Stewsburntmonkey » Sat Jul 23, 2005 10:08 pm

The distortion of Russia in the common Mercator projections (those are the most common projections) is not related to where the map is horizontally centered. The distortion is exactly the same for such a map centered on the UK as it is for on centered on the US. The distorition is caused because Russia is at such a high latitude. Mercator projections distort the more extreme latitudes (that is why Greenland looks huge).
doormat
level4
level4

Postby doormat » Sat Jul 23, 2005 10:28 pm

Ah. I think it's the same shape but it destorts it more. You see, it's a sphere being stretched onto a rectangle, so the distortion is worst in the corners, but, the people who make these maps often just shift it all to the left, rolling the bit that got cut off onto the other side. You can't do that; it makes the map inaccurate. Although the shape off russia is exactly the same, it's in a diffrent place on the map and so should be a diffrent shape.

you see what I mean? I don't know much about the maths of cartography, so I may actualy be wrong about this: but either way russia gets cut in half.

I only mentioned this to explain away the ignorance of americans who couldn't point out america on a map. If you prove me wrong, you'll have come up with your own excuse next time. :lol:

edit: I checked. I am wrong. The map is not destorted, it just cuts russia in two, which makes it confusing, but not wrong. I am forced to conclude that the americans who cannot find america are just stupid. In other news, I cannot find an image of a map with america in the middle on google anywhere, which just goes to show how common they obviously are everywhere outside america. :lol:
Stewsburntmonkey
level5
level5

Postby Stewsburntmonkey » Sat Jul 23, 2005 10:51 pm

The problem is that you don't understand the way the projection is done.

It is not a sphere being stretched onto a rectangle; it is a sphere being projected onto a cylinder. The rectangle is formed by splitting the cylinder along its length. It should be obvious that it doesn't matter where you split the cylinder; you still have the same basic map (just with different centers). It should also be obvious that you can simply roll bits off the left and onto the right side without any problems.

Here is a nice expaination of most types of projections.

As for a map with the US at the center, there is one on the first page of results from Google Images (search phrase: "world map"). :)
Mas Tnega
level5
level5

Postby Mas Tnega » Sat Jul 23, 2005 10:58 pm

That's the world?
doormat
level4
level4

Postby doormat » Sun Jul 24, 2005 5:05 pm

Thanks, stews. As I said, I looked it up and your quite right on this. The Mercator projection is a cylinder.

And the one on google is a funky square projection. Not what I was looking for. I did try that, you know. :lol:
John9811
level0

Postby John9811 » Wed Aug 24, 2005 9:27 am

About the distribuating,i bought a uplink cd with a codecard AND
A STAMP that says the cd is CERTIFIED for 13.99 u.s.(or RM37.99) in malaysia here.Is that warez?
exosyphen
level2
level2

Postby exosyphen » Wed Aug 24, 2005 9:49 am

That depends on who is publishing the respective CD.
allstone
level0

Re:

Postby allstone » Thu Oct 25, 2018 12:28 pm

dunetrooper wrote:I bought the game but it wasn't any budget version. It was the full box and everything. Also I haven't seen any budget verisons in all of the game stores I hang out in. But if I see any I will let you know.

dunetrooper, if you dont need it, can you sell the full box? What would be the price for which you would part with it?

or anyone got a carton box of hacker elite to sell?

Return to “General”