LAN games sharing CD keys

Technical Support for all Defcon related issues

Moderator: Defcon moderators

ShadowFox37
level1
level1

LAN games sharing CD keys

Postby ShadowFox37 » Sun Jan 21, 2007 6:17 am

I find it rather interesting how you can't play a game of Defcon over LAN on account of the fact that it will give a duplicate CD key error when the second system tries to join.

If I have to buy a CD key PER SYSTEM I want to use it on...
KingAl
level5
level5

Postby KingAl » Sun Jan 21, 2007 6:20 am

That's the way it works. You can play between a demo version and a non-demo version, however. Also, the game is bloody cheap, it's not like you're paying US$50 every time you need another license.

EDIT: By the way, that's a huge avatar you have there. It'd fill up a quarter of the screen for IE users.
xander
level5
level5

Re: LAN games sharing CD keys

Postby xander » Sun Jan 21, 2007 5:45 pm

ShadowFox37 wrote:If I have to buy a CD key PER SYSTEM I want to use it on...

Yes, you do. Or, you can have one machine with a valid key, and use demo copies for other machines. Or you can use all demo copies. When you paid for Defcon, you paid for one key, which allows you to play on one machine at a time, whether you are on the internets or on a LAN. I don't see what the problem with this is.

Also, IE does not properly support CSS max-height and max-width, thus your avatar is, as KingAl said, huge to IE users. Would you please be so kind as to shrink it down to 80x80px or less? Thank you very much,

xander
Eniac mkII
level0

Postby Eniac mkII » Sat Jan 27, 2007 7:01 pm

I think the problem is when you are in a LAN and trying to convince other people to play defcon. It can be a pretty hard sell compared to something which they all already have, like Counter Strike. "Hey guys, I've got this really fun game, Defcon, and we can all play it together!... for an additional $80 + 1 demo version." Being able to do 'spawned copies' just for LAN, like diablo, would definitely be great, and maybe convince other people there to buy so that they can play over the internet. I definitely agree that the current system is totally fair though. In fact, I think the demo is a little too generous when playing online (I have the full version now of course).
Montyphy
level5
level5

Postby Montyphy » Sat Jan 27, 2007 7:06 pm

Eniac mkII wrote:"Hey guys, I've got this really fun game, Defcon, and we can all play it together!... for an additional $70 (£40) + 1 demo versions."

fix'd
Last edited by Montyphy on Sun Jan 28, 2007 12:42 am, edited 1 time in total.
Uplink help: Check out the Guide or FAQ.
Latest Uplink patch is v1.55.
Xocrates
level5
level5

Postby Xocrates » Sat Jan 27, 2007 7:07 pm

Montyphy wrote:
Eniac mkII wrote:"Hey guys, I've got this really fun game, Defcon, and we can all play it together!... for an additional $53 (£30) + 2 demo versions."

fix'd

You can only have two demo versions in the same game if the demo is the creator. Which means there would only be two slots.
Montyphy
level5
level5

Postby Montyphy » Sat Jan 27, 2007 8:00 pm

Xocrates wrote:
Montyphy wrote:
Eniac mkII wrote:"Hey guys, I've got this really fun game, Defcon, and we can all play it together!... for an additional $53 (£30) + 2 demo versions."

fix'd

You can only have two demo versions in the same game if the demo is the creator. Which means there would only be two slots.

"I've got this really fun game" (1 full copy) + "for an additional $53 (£30)" (3 full copies) + 2 demo versions = 6 players, assuming a person with a full copy hosts.

Xocrates
level5
level5

Postby Xocrates » Sat Jan 27, 2007 8:15 pm

Montyphy wrote:"I've got this really fun game" (1 full copy) + "for an additional $53 (£30)" (3 full copies) + 2 demo versions = 6 players, assuming a person with a full copy hosts.

I know that, but unless they changed something recently, you can't have two demos in a 6 player game. The only time you can have two demos in the same game is if the demo hosts
Montyphy
level5
level5

Postby Montyphy » Sat Jan 27, 2007 8:17 pm

really? Thats news to me.

MrBunsy
level5
level5

Postby MrBunsy » Sat Jan 27, 2007 10:57 pm

It used to be two demo users somewhere along the line, but I can't remember if it was before a patch, or just in the beta (where I must have seen screenshots or read about it or something). At any rate, it changed sometime.
KingAl
level5
level5

Postby KingAl » Sun Jan 28, 2007 12:41 am

It was beta: some of the pre-release tournaments depicted 2 [DEMO] users in the player list, but ever since release the rules have been 2 against eachother or 1 in a full version game.

Return to “Windows Troubleshooting”