There will be NO Uplink 2 or Uplink Online

Ideas for future addons and sequels

Moderators: jelco, bert_the_turtle, Chris, Icepick, Rkiver, Punisher Bass

Rkiver
level5
level5

Postby Rkiver » Sun May 15, 2005 5:29 pm

Have you even read the thread? Iv don't want to become known as "The Uplink Company." They do original games. If they made a sequel it wouldn't be original. I have talked to Chris in person, as have a few others. He said no, so that means no. Get the fuck over it already and move on with your lives.
Uplink help: Read the FAQ
ashfire908
level0

Postby ashfire908 » Sun May 15, 2005 9:37 pm

what about a add-on? they keep the oringinal game but allow massive changes. (ex. The Sims)
Flamekebab
level5
level5

Postby Flamekebab » Sun May 15, 2005 10:03 pm

What's everyone's problem?

Deal with it, it's not going to happen.

Go code your own bloody game if your so damn desperate that you have to say "but... *insert reason why you want a sequel or add-on* " in the face of being officially told there will be no such thing.
ashfire908
level0

Postby ashfire908 » Sun May 15, 2005 10:14 pm

they say that there will not be any sequel, not no add-ons.
ReflectingGod
level5
level5

Postby ReflectingGod » Mon May 16, 2005 3:14 am

Introversion have finished working on Uplink. No sequels, no patches no official add ons. It's finished. Over. Done. Forget about it, OK? Now STFU.
ME!

Procrastination - Hard work often pays of after time, but laziness always pays off now!

**Bibo ergo sum!**
Rkiver
level5
level5

Postby Rkiver » Mon May 16, 2005 8:46 am

Ahem, once again Introversion said there will be no more work done on Uplink bar perhaps some work on the linux version just to iron out the odd problem that occurs. Beyond that, no expansion, no add-on, no sequel.
FrostShard
level5
level5

Postby FrostShard » Fri May 20, 2005 3:33 pm

ashfire908 wrote:what about a add-on? they keep the oringinal game but allow massive changes. (ex. The Sims)

You just gave the reason that this will probably never happen: The Sims.

Is that making games for the sheer joy of originality and innovation? I think not. It's making games for the sole purpose of making money. Having no qualms about exploiting your customers and shitting on the memory of your original product, no matter how great it was. All, of course, in the name of extracting that last tiny drop of respect that your game had to leave room for more profit.
Rkiver wrote:So as you see, the average person is a fucking idiot.
Proxor
level0

Don't yell at me.

Postby Proxor » Sat Jun 11, 2005 11:06 am

I'm not trying to be an idiot and I am not stupid, so please don't reply to this with useless insults as those.

I just have a couple comments and questions.

Why do you act so rude/childish to people who have probably bought your game and spend time on your forums?

The only reason you have given for not making a second game is because it would "only be for the money" and not for the sheer fun of making a game. That reason makes no sense, because you can easily solve that problem. Don't charge anything for the game, give it away as a download, and you will solve the warez and the "only for the money" problem of the sequal. I just want more reason besides "He said no...so no"

A friend of mine and I were seriously thinking of making a game along the lines of uplink, but taking a different aproach to many aspects. After reading this, it seems like the community would appreciate a sequal. If IV will give me permission, we will make a sequal, with multiplayer, new story, better intro to story, better menus, better control of "uplink OS", basically a better game with more features and less hastle. Also almost everything would be brand new (except for the basic idea).

It wouldn't cost IV a thing, and we would probably give the game away (Unless we spent an ungodly amount of time on it, in which we would want a little bit of compensation for our time, but that is unlikely). Mostly what we're looking for is recognition.

Just think about it.

Proxor

PS If anyone posts about how I am an idiot and it will not happen they need to learn that I will make a game no matter what, the only difference is will it be called uplink: (name in progress) or (different name). It would be nice to be with uplink because of the already large community for the game.
Rkiver
level5
level5

Postby Rkiver » Sat Jun 11, 2005 3:07 pm

Why do you act so rude/childish to people who have probably bought your game and spend time on your forums?

Of the people who post on here, none of us are IV staff, so it's not IV being rude, it's members of the community. And why? Because IV themselves have said no, yet even though it has been repeated ad nausea some people are just too damn stupid to take a hint.

The only reason you have given for not making a second game is because it would "only be for the money" and not for the sheer fun of making a game. That reason makes no sense, because you can easily solve that problem. Don't charge anything for the game, give it away as a download, and you will solve the warez and the "only for the money" problem of the sequal. I just want more reason besides "He said no...so no"

Actually that's not the only reason, if you'd actually read these posts you would know the reason is because Introversion is about innovation. Doing something new, not making sequels. They do not want to be known as "the company that makes Uplink and it's sequels". Chris, Tom and Mark, the three original members of IV confirmed at the Darwinia Launch Party there would be no sequel. So see my first response on why. And since they make the games, "No means no" is a good enough reason.

A friend of mine and I were seriously thinking of making a game along the lines of uplink, but taking a different aproach to many aspects. After reading this, it seems like the community would appreciate a sequal. If IV will give me permission, we will make a sequal, with multiplayer, new story, better intro to story, better menus, better control of "uplink OS", basically a better game with more features and less hastle. Also almost everything would be brand new (except for the basic idea).

It wouldn't cost IV a thing, and we would probably give the game away (Unless we spent an ungodly amount of time on it, in which we would want a little bit of compensation for our time, but that is unlikely). Mostly what we're looking for is recognition.

You want to make a somewhat sequel, go for it. Just don't use the name Uplink. It's copyright. You want to use the name, buy the rights. Go ahead and make a game, if you suceed, brilliant. Something similar though more expansive would be nice. But remember, what you are doing is not original, well not really. Just expanding on someone elses idea. But if you can do it. Great. However you will have to understand we have seen many hundred people claim this before, and nothing has come of it. If you do it, you will get recognition by the community, and if it is good enough from IV. But that's a big if.

PS If anyone posts about how I am an idiot and it will not happen they need to learn that I will make a game no matter what, the only difference is will it be called uplink: (name in progress) or (different name). It would be nice to be with uplink because of the already large community for the game.

As I said, we wont hold our breath. Call it whatever you like, but if you put Uplink as the name, be prepared for a possible copyright infringement case. As for you being an idiot, only reason I would call you one is for not getting over the fact that IV have categorically stated there will be no sequel. Beyond that your post is clearly written with thought in it.
Proxor
level0

Postby Proxor » Sat Jun 11, 2005 4:24 pm

Thanks for that real reply.

I actually have a 3 person team together now, we will be forming our own company similar to IV in the fact that we will both be small. I'll post here our website as soon as it comes out, it shouldn't be that long. As for us not actually doing this, I expect we will finish. The only thing I'm worried about is our game being different enough from uplink that it's actually a different experience, and our game not sucking because it is to complicated (it is much more complex than uplink).

I just wanted to see what you guys thought of this idea:
Cracking a password no longer matters that you have password cracker V 1.0. It matters how good you are at different things. One or two of the versions of the password cracker will be how fast you type will decide how fast you get the password. Others may use the mouse, and the low versions (like 1.0) may use both to make it harder. The point is though, that hacking will have more to do with your skill on a computer than how much money you have. I think that will also solve the problem of it seems the game is rather boring after you hack a bank for 1.2 million. This way even if you somehow got rich (we have decided no banks with over 5000 in an account) You still wouldn't be able to just hack basically everything very easily.

What do you think?
Proxor
level0

Postby Proxor » Sat Jun 11, 2005 4:30 pm

Oh, and as for this not being as innovative as IV, I can accept that, becuase what they did was amazing. I'm just making this game for the fun of making a game, not to come out with something that will blow the socks off all those huge game companies (I hope it will, but that will be hard to do)
Rkiver
level5
level5

Postby Rkiver » Sat Jun 11, 2005 4:40 pm

It sounds interesting, but I'll wait to see a beta before I comment.

A word of advice, use the edit key instead of double posting. You'll be lynched otherwise.
Proxor
level0

Postby Proxor » Sat Jun 11, 2005 4:48 pm

I will from now on.

We are thinking of throwing together a flash version to see if it's any good, but the problem is if it's any good we just wasted time on the flash that we could have spent on the real game. But if we don't do a flash version, and the game ends up crashing and burning (I don't expect this but it might) then we just wasted a lot more time than if we would have made a flash version first and found out it was bad.

What do you guys think?
DaFatalGigabyte
level0

Postby DaFatalGigabyte » Sun Jun 12, 2005 4:03 am

Proxor wrote:I will from now on.

We are thinking of throwing together a flash version to see if it's any good, but the problem is if it's any good we just wasted time on the flash that we could have spent on the real game. But if we don't do a flash version, and the game ends up crashing and burning (I don't expect this but it might) then we just wasted a lot more time than if we would have made a flash version first and found out it was bad.

What do you guys think?

Make a demo and make it in flash or whatever the hell you want to make it in. Any group should recieve feedback for it's products.
Also Proxor, I have a binder full of ideas for various games, mainly hacking. Ask and you shall recieve.

Furthermore,

N O___M O R E___A D D I T I O N S___T O___U P L I N K

Did I make that noticable enough? Stop complaining, make your own game, have fun. Just stop buggering people about a sequal/online version. Uplink is really Uplink: Zero Expansions :P, OK Uplink: A few expansions. Those few expansions are done.
Proxor
level0

Postby Proxor » Sun Jun 12, 2005 4:25 am

well, here is me asking gigabyte.
email me - wikiwooo@gmail.com

Return to “The Future”