Uplink Killer - Christmas game for Uplink fans ;)

Anything and Everything about Uplink

Moderators: jelco, bert_the_turtle, Chris, Icepick, Rkiver

cyberluk
level2
level2

Postby cyberluk » Tue Dec 28, 2004 12:22 pm

Ok and why are there threads and topics then? If it is supposed to be like you say, then there can be one big window and everybody can post into it because there's no matter what's going on and what's the topic about.

Uplink Killer is not about C++ it's about Uplink. If you want to talk about C++ and Java (eg. pros and cons) you should start your own thread. This is Uplink Forum and not Sun or Microsoft Development Forums :-/
I'm out of time :-( ...but you can hit me on ICQ ;-) ...I'm seeking for new friends ;)
Flamekebab
level5
level5

Postby Flamekebab » Tue Dec 28, 2004 1:49 pm

No, this is the Uplink General forum.

General
Anything and Everything

See that?

Anything and everything. Something we fought long and hard for.
This is a discussion forum for anything, if it were just about Uplink it would be long dead.

Lots of people here like programming. Hence you get a lot of discussions about the merits of different programming languages, when and where each is most suitable, examples of stuff we've coded and so on.

A thread is a starting point. Where the conversation goes from it isn't something to be controlled, as if you try to control it it fizzles out - no one wants to talk about it if that's the only thing they're allowed to talk about.

Either way, question it all you want, but that's the way this place has worked for years, and it won't be changing just because you want it to, so you might as well just try and accept that.
fork_uplink
level1
level1

Postby fork_uplink » Tue Dec 28, 2004 1:50 pm

Ok, now I wanna say something last. Please try to code a simple GUI in c++ in under 200 Lines and only with the standard library if you can do this you could win the nobel prise, in java it´s simple.
Sharpy
level1
level1

Postby Sharpy » Tue Dec 28, 2004 1:53 pm

It can be done in C# if your uber skilled at it. Java just scares me though.
What's the sound of one hand clapping?
{if (object != "") then? null.string["+object.sourceVoid+"]= 0);}
cyberluk
level2
level2

Postby cyberluk » Tue Dec 28, 2004 1:57 pm

C# works only under M$ Windows and you need to download the 50MB big .net framework in order to run it.
I'm out of time :-( ...but you can hit me on ICQ ;-) ...I'm seeking for new friends ;)
Sharpy
level1
level1

Postby Sharpy » Tue Dec 28, 2004 2:00 pm

Error.

Please try again.

The .net (1.1) framework is only 23mb. It can also be ported to Linux. It requires a custom C++ wrapper DLL, though, and some voodoo COM-registerying magic once the assembly and wrapper DLL have been moved to the target computer

cyberluk
level2
level2

Postby cyberluk » Tue Dec 28, 2004 2:03 pm

Yes it Sooooo easy. And what about MacOs,Solaris,Unix ? Java doesn't have problems with that. I saw some directx games under C# ...I doubt it will work everywhere....in Java you can use the Java3D Api to build 3D things - it supports opengl rendering everywhere + directx rendering on M$ systems
Sharpy
level1
level1

Postby Sharpy » Tue Dec 28, 2004 2:06 pm

cyberluk wrote:Yes it Sooooo easy. And what about MacOs,Solaris,Unix ? Java doesn't have problems with that. I saw some directx games under C# ...I doubt it will work everywhere....in Java you can use the Java3D Api to build 3D things - it supports opengl rendering everywhere + directx rendering on M$ systems

I didn't say it was easy. I just said it could be done. C# can also be ported to Mac and Unix. As for Solaris, I don't know, because I haven't taken a look at the source for Solaris 10 yet.

cyberluk
level2
level2

Postby cyberluk » Tue Dec 28, 2004 2:09 pm

yup...and for your 'only 23mb .net framework' - java5.0 runtime environment has only about 14.6mb so your 'simple GUI under 200 lines using the standard library in uber C#' is quite idiotic
fork_uplink
level1
level1

Postby fork_uplink » Tue Dec 28, 2004 2:15 pm

And I said c++ not c# and I said under 200 Lines
Sharpy
level1
level1

Postby Sharpy » Tue Dec 28, 2004 2:17 pm

cyberluk wrote:yup...and for your 'only 23mb .net framework' - java5.0 runtime environment has only about 14.6mb so your 'simple GUI under 200 lines using the standard library in uber C#' is quite idiotic

C'mon, man, you have to have some kind of real reason why it you obviously can't stand C#, like, "The way Java handles primitives in collections is awful because it adds a 12 byte overhead per primitive: primitives are wrapped in classes and pushed to the heap instead of just being put on the stack and thus saving the 8 byte overhead of casting a primitive to its Object-based representation. Java generics make it worse because to the neophyte programmer it seems as if primitives like int, double, and long aren't being put on the heap if you use generics, because the casting "goes away."*

See? Like that.

Or, fuck, just make something up. (Too late.)

*Overhead of primitive to Object: 4 bytes for the reference (32bit), 8 bytes for the class header (Integer, Double, ... ...). Normal overhead would be 4 bytes, pushing the reference to the heap and keeping the value on the stack. Or, something like that.

Now, can you really code in C# or C++? The download size of the framework has absolutely nothing to do with lines. Think on that for a few minutes. You do realize that your pulling these words out of thin air, correct? I never said that C# was uber. It's just as laggy as Java. What I have said so far is this;

1. A simple GUI in under 200 lines can be created in C#.
2. You've got to be skilled to accomplish it.

Stop trying to put words in my mouth.

Edited for clarification both times.
Last edited by Sharpy on Tue Dec 28, 2004 2:42 pm, edited 2 times in total.

fork_uplink
level1
level1

Postby fork_uplink » Tue Dec 28, 2004 2:28 pm

Hey I am not cyberluk I never said anything about Code Size and yes I can program c++, but I wanna know if anyone is able to code a GUI in c++ ,not in C Sharp, in under 200 lines code only with the standard library of c++. I never said anything about c#.
//EDIT And I am not trying to put words in your mouth.
Sharpy
level1
level1

Postby Sharpy » Tue Dec 28, 2004 2:35 pm

Sorry about that, went back and fixed it. :)

fork_uplink
level1
level1

Postby fork_uplink » Tue Dec 28, 2004 2:37 pm

oh, you ment cyberluk, sorry
coolsi
level5
level5

Postby coolsi » Tue Dec 28, 2004 3:45 pm

I love the way cyberluk complains that this thread isn't about C++ vs Java when he pretty much started the debate...
Nakatomi is coming

Return to “General”