Uplink Killer - Christmas game for Uplink fans ;)

Anything and Everything about Uplink

Moderators: jelco, bert_the_turtle, Chris, Icepick, Rkiver

Flamekebab
level5
level5

Postby Flamekebab » Sun Dec 12, 2004 7:57 pm

Why would you want to make Uplink Online in 3D?
cyberluk
level2
level2

Postby cyberluk » Sun Dec 12, 2004 9:07 pm

see http://wwws.sun.com/software/looking_glass/details.html -wouldn't it be cool this will be the new Uplink :) ?
I'm out of time :-( ...but you can hit me on ICQ ;-) ...I'm seeking for new friends ;)
Flamekebab
level5
level5

Postby Flamekebab » Sun Dec 12, 2004 9:42 pm

Not really, no,

I don't really like it at all to be honest.

It looks pants and reminds me of 3DNA desktop..
NeoThermic
Introversion Staff
Introversion Staff

Postby NeoThermic » Sun Dec 12, 2004 9:43 pm

cyberluk wrote:On Colleges,there you don't learn C++ ,but only Java -think why.

Thats the only thing I wanted to comment on. The main reason that you'll be taught Java rather than C/C++ is because Java and C# are similar in construct, even to the point that any Java program can be turned into a C# one with little modification.

On top of that, C/C++ is a poverbiable rope; and theres a lot of it. Its easier to hang yourself with C/C++ than Java.

NeoThermic
Stewsburntmonkey
level5
level5

Postby Stewsburntmonkey » Sun Dec 12, 2004 9:55 pm

Also Java has a much better standard library and much clearer online documentation. Professors also don't have to worry about what kinds of computers the students have which is nice for programming assignments and grading. :)
Deepsmeg
level5
level5

Postby Deepsmeg » Sun Dec 12, 2004 10:04 pm

In C it's fairly easy to shoot yourself in the foot, whereas in C++ it's harder to shoot yourself in the foot, but when you do, you usually blow your whole leg off.

Or, to reword it...

C:
You shoot yourself in the foot.

C++:
You accidently create a dozen instances of yourself and shoot them all in the foot. Providing emergency medical care is impossible since you can't tell which are bitwise copies and which are just pointing at others and saying, "that's me, over there."

Objective C:
You write a protocol for shooting yourself in the foot so that all people can get shot in their feet.

Java:
You shoot yourself in the foot. Everyone else who accesses your website leaves hobbling and cursing.
ruhoward
level2
level2

Postby ruhoward » Mon Dec 13, 2004 12:44 am

java...sigh, what can i say...it's actually not that bad except it's too slow...
Hammerit
level0

Postby Hammerit » Sun Dec 26, 2004 4:42 pm

Um your Argumentation isn't good at all cyberluck, because:

Core Java2D OpenGL has been added in Java 5.0 "tiger" so it's new and Java3D exists few months too,so it's new - developers haven't probably too much time to try it....today commercial games are made in C++ ,but this may change now.

Try to give reasons why it should change now! You said it's all that new. For programmers new often means far from being perfect ;).

I can now make a GTA 2 game in Java and it will run on all systems that run original GTA 2.

Most of people have 1,2 or 3 Ghz machines, some of them have 64bits ,so you can make 64bit games in Java today - I think you won't have problems with running kick-ass games on Java. It's not perfect yet,but it's awesome.....Doom 3 would lag ,but games such as Quake2,GTA2,Need For Speed 2/3 are ok Wink ....The portability is awesome,because I want to switch from Windows to Linux completely and use the same applications. And Java is the right way to do it. I hate MS politics.

yeah but the time the games you're listing were released, weaker PCs were standard, what do you expect from remaking old games?

In fact also C++ allows to portalize your programs very easy, you only have to use the right API ^^. C++ has nothing to do with MS at all, if you want to program without being affected by MS just use other compilers.

I'm developing in IDEs (integrated development environment) whose are written fully in Java - it uses Swing or it's own 'theme engine' and I have no problems on PIII-866Mhz,256MB Ram,WinXP

I don't have any problems on P4 3,2 Ghz, 1024 MB Ram and WinXP too, maybe because I'm a C++ Programmer ;)

The game I've made runs smootly in 1024x768x32 on this machine - not many games can be played in this resolution on 866Mhz. If your graphic card supports OpenGL, you can turn it ON with additional drawing methods (eg. Bicubic,Billinear filtering) and you get better quality and performace.

Yeah same in C++ 8) . It depends on what you output in the given Resulution. I don't think your Java Program is powerful enough to render a 3.000.000 Polygon Model in Real Time on a 866Mhz (in 1024x768x32), if it is, you better should get a Nobel Prise soon ;)
The world would be nothing without a builder, that's why the Builder is watching you.
cyberluk
level2
level2

Postby cyberluk » Sun Dec 26, 2004 4:51 pm

This conversation is going offtopic - this thread is about my game and not about C++ vs. Java. 3 000 000 polygons? Isn't it quite much? I have been developing in C++ for too long...and I switched to Java now...in C++ there's nothing new, but in Java there are many new things almost every day - because it's developed under some open groups (eg. same situation as on Linux).

Ok....use your C++ and be happy.....but don't push me to use too. In my opinion Java is better. Try both languages and then judge - I did it.

In the world of technology - the newest thing is the best. You say that 386 is better than AMD Athlon64 FX ?

End of discussion.

This thread should be closed and all posts should be deleted - except of the first one - that was my gift.
I'm out of time :-( ...but you can hit me on ICQ ;-) ...I'm seeking for new friends ;)
Flamekebab
level5
level5

Postby Flamekebab » Sun Dec 26, 2004 5:18 pm

Why?
It's no longer on topic, but then again, how many threads do stay on topic?
Not many.

As long as it's interesting and not too offensive, it stays open.
FrostShard
level5
level5

Postby FrostShard » Mon Dec 27, 2004 12:35 am

cyberluk wrote:This thread should be closed and all posts should be deleted - except of the first one - that was my gift.

Hmm... doesn't that seem a bit one-sided?

"Yes, Mister Moderator, I'm afraid it's only fair that everything everyone else has said is wiped from the face of the earth and they are never allowed to speak again, but you must leave my say on things because... uhh... because... LOOK! A tree!" :wink:
Rkiver wrote:So as you see, the average person is a fucking idiot.
FrostShard
level5
level5

Postby FrostShard » Mon Dec 27, 2004 12:35 am

EDIT: Double post. Woopsies. :?
Rkiver wrote:So as you see, the average person is a fucking idiot.
Hammerit
level0

Postby Hammerit » Tue Dec 28, 2004 12:30 am

Yeah that's true C++ does not change very often, but why should it? Everything you want to do is allready possible (you only have to program correctly and make use of the APIs able to make your dreams come true. A few guys talked about changing the C++ Syntax, to make it easier to learn for N00bs, but that would end up in a fiasko! Just give me a clue, what should be changed in C++.

In the world of technology - the newest thing is the best. You say that 386 is better than AMD Athlon64 FX ?

Um no you didn't get it :roll:. I didn't said that everything new is bad, but that eg. in a program every new feature may cause new problems and often they result in destroying the integrity of the complex itself. But without risk there's no progress in research.
The world would be nothing without a builder, that's why the Builder is watching you.
cyberluk
level2
level2

Postby cyberluk » Tue Dec 28, 2004 11:18 am

Learn Java5.0 - it has similar syntax to C++ but you can use new developing techniques and specifications.UML diagrams and extreme programming (XP) is very good when used in Java. C++ doesn't have all the exceptions (eg. 'finally' word) - C++ is not fully OOP - you can combine C and C++ here.....I don't want a language for noobs.

Everyone in this thread is saying something that he have read about C++ and maybe did some 'hello world' apps...maybe he have read something about Java too....but nobody knows Java5.0 - because if he did, there weren't so stupid questions. Sorry but this thread is fucked up - why are everybody starting to flame? I want to stop the topic "C++ vs. Java" and continue to topic that IS IN THIS THREAD. If you can't read the topic just follow this rule: "Don't talk about C++ vs. Java". I don't want to know your opinion like you don't want to know mine. If you will try to prove that C++ is the best and leet language I will prove that Java is better - go and learn modern programming and techniques and then we can talk about it.
Flamekebab
level5
level5

Postby Flamekebab » Tue Dec 28, 2004 12:02 pm

Apparently you don't understand the nature of forums or conversation.

Whatever the topic was originally is irrelevant, at the moment we're talking about the merits of C++ in relation to the merits of Java.

This may have been your topic originally, but that doesn't mean you can just stomp in like a grumpy child and say "This is my conversation! Talk about what I want!"

Return to “General”