Uplink Killer - Christmas game for Uplink fans ;)

Anything and Everything about Uplink

Moderators: jelco, bert_the_turtle, Chris, Icepick, Rkiver

cyberluk
level2
level2

Uplink Killer - Christmas game for Uplink fans ;)

Postby cyberluk » Sun Dec 12, 2004 4:03 pm

Hi I've made a cool game - download it here: http://cyberluk.kissneo.com/

This my first game in Java - I've made it in one week in which I started to learn Java (it was so quick because I already know C,C++,C# and PHP5).

So play it as "test-game". In Flashlink (Uplink Online) I'm switching from Flash to Java - the server is already in Java....I'm now going to learn some 3D ;)
I'm out of time :-( ...but you can hit me on ICQ ;-) ...I'm seeking for new friends ;)
Luigi300
level5
level5

Postby Luigi300 » Sun Dec 12, 2004 4:37 pm

Ew. Java. Use a real language, like C++.
Luigi for mod in 2006!
cyberluk
level2
level2

Postby cyberluk » Sun Dec 12, 2004 4:48 pm

Oh I can see that you are probably another noob and don't know what Java is.

Today Java has next-generation compiler called HotSpot...you don't know nothing. A PC game Chrome is made totally in Java. Java is here for more than 10 years already!

Java is the most modern language - I know C++ - it sucks because it has not packages,finally word,enum,new for cycles,etc....in C++ you can write without OOP - in C style, but in Java you must know what OOP is (Object Oriented Programming). Microsoft wanted to push out their new Visual Studio and be better than Sun with Java so they have taken C++ and made C# ,but C# runs only on Microsoft systems and doesn't have the advantages what Java does.

Today, you can make OpenGL 3D Games in Java,3D Operating systems (see project Looking Glass from Sun),classic hardware-accelerated 2D games,play mp3,ogg files,etc..

And the latest version is Java 5.0 which really rocks ;)

But If you aren't developer,you may think that because some today games uses C++,that there isn't anything better,but you're wrong mate.

When you make something in C,C++ or C# ,it runs only on the system on which it were built - eg. Windows,Linux. But if you make something in Java, then it automatically works on ALL Operating systems without problems.

I think that there will be more Java games now,when it has so many things inside.

So please don't say that C++ is better if you don't know how it is. On Colleges,there you don't learn C++ ,but only Java -think why.

EDIT: Java is not a interpreting language like PHP. Java is a semi-compiled language....something like C++ but better
I'm out of time :-( ...but you can hit me on ICQ ;-) ...I'm seeking for new friends ;)
Hektik sniper
level5
level5

Postby Hektik sniper » Sun Dec 12, 2004 5:04 pm

cyberluk wrote:Oh I can see that you are probably another noob

Right on that part
British Army The Number 1 UK Soldat Clan
Winners of Storm and Destory CTF
Luigi300
level5
level5

Postby Luigi300 » Sun Dec 12, 2004 5:05 pm

Oh shut up HS. Would a noob have this many posts?
Luigi for mod in 2006!
Hektik sniper
level5
level5

Postby Hektik sniper » Sun Dec 12, 2004 5:06 pm

Having a lot of posts doesnt mean that you aint a n00b, The fact is that you get banned from irc ALL THE TIME, I wonder why? Could it be the fact that you constantly piss everyone off and everyone hates you?
British Army The Number 1 UK Soldat Clan

Winners of Storm and Destory CTF
Darksun
level5
level5

Postby Darksun » Sun Dec 12, 2004 5:06 pm

noob != newbie
Galaxion
level1
level1

Postby Galaxion » Sun Dec 12, 2004 5:16 pm

Noob isnt neccessarily how "new" you are, it more defines an annoying attitude to people whereby you believe in all your (not so infinite) wisdom to be better then them, which sucks.
cyberluk
level2
level2

Postby cyberluk » Sun Dec 12, 2004 5:26 pm

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Noob

A noob, n00b, nub, or übern00b is a newbie who claims to know a lot about a subject, but really does not. They often show off their false skills to gain a reputation.
SystemOverride_uplink
level3
level3

Postby SystemOverride_uplink » Sun Dec 12, 2004 6:03 pm

A PC game Chrome is made totally in Java. Java is here for more than 10 years already!

you forgot to mention that Chrome sucks.
cyberluk
level2
level2

Postby cyberluk » Sun Dec 12, 2004 6:27 pm

hehe....yes I didn't play it too long,but we were talking about Java - Chrome was the first example that I found :)
coolsi
level5
level5

Postby coolsi » Sun Dec 12, 2004 6:32 pm

cyberluk wrote:Oh I can see that you are probably another noob and don't know what Java is.

I think Luigi300 most probably does know what Java is.

Today Java has next-generation compiler called HotSpot...you don't know nothing. A PC game Chrome is made totally in Java. Java is here for more than 10 years already!

So uh, one game is made in Java. Compared to...how many in C++? It's been around for 10 years and only has one game to show for it?

Java is the most modern language - I know C++ - it sucks because it has not packages,finally word,enum,new for cycles,etc....in C++ you can write without OOP - in C style, but in Java you must know what OOP is (Object Oriented Programming). Microsoft wanted to push out their new Visual Studio and be better than Sun with Java so they have taken C++ and made C# ,but C# runs only on Microsoft systems and doesn't have the advantages what Java does.

Today, you can make OpenGL 3D Games in Java,3D Operating systems (see project Looking Glass from Sun),classic hardware-accelerated 2D games,play mp3,ogg files,etc..

...you say that as though no other programming languages can do things like that. Heh.

And the latest version is Java 5.0 which really rocks ;)

But If you aren't developer,you may think that because some today games uses C++,that there isn't anything better,but you're wrong mate.

When you make something in C,C++ or C# ,it runs only on the system on which it were built - eg. Windows,Linux. But if you make something in Java, then it automatically works on ALL Operating systems without problems.

I think that there will be more Java games now,when it has so many things inside.

So please don't say that C++ is better if you don't know how it is. On Colleges,there you don't learn C++ ,but only Java -think why.

EDIT: Java is not a interpreting language like PHP. Java is a semi-compiled language....something like C++ but better

Yes, a good point of Java is it's platform independance. However, having to mess around with a runtime environment isn't quite as easy as running a pre-comiled .exe. And it's not too hard to download binaries for your platform.

This isn't intended to slag off Java, but your fanboy attitude towards the language alarmed me. :|
Nakatomi is coming
Stewsburntmonkey
level5
level5

Postby Stewsburntmonkey » Sun Dec 12, 2004 6:37 pm

Java is generally about 10x slower than C/C++. In most games this speed penalty is prohibative. Java is nice for what it was made for which is rapid development of cross platform tools and for use in embedded systems like cellphones, Java games are generally rather hideous (I find the GUI is almost always laggy beyond all reason). :)
cyberluk
level2
level2

Postby cyberluk » Sun Dec 12, 2004 6:49 pm

Well Java is there for over 10 years,but it started at coffee machines :-) Now there's a 3rd generation of compilers - and for your information: you can also precompile java program and make a binary for Windows .exe or for Linux .sh ,and you can include the JRE on the CD (+14MB).

Core Java2D OpenGL has been added in Java 5.0 "tiger" so it's new and Java3D exists few months too,so it's new - developers haven't probably too much time to try it....today commercial games are made in C++ ,but this may change now.

You'll see....I'll make Uplink Online in 3D in Java and it will run smoothly ;) I've also tested the new operating system (Linux 3D) from Sun and it run smoothly too even that it's only alpha version.

Yes it's not sooo fast right now,but the compilation technique gets better every day....at first Java was only interpreter language but now the HotSpot compiler will convert your 'hot' code into assembly/machine language ;-)

I can now make a GTA 2 game in Java and it will run on all systems that run original GTA 2.

Most of people have 1,2 or 3 Ghz machines, some of them have 64bits ,so you can make 64bit games in Java today - I think you won't have problems with running kick-ass games on Java. It's not perfect yet,but it's awesome.....Doom 3 would lag ,but games such as Quake2,GTA2,Need For Speed 2/3 are ok ;) ....The portability is awesome,because I want to switch from Windows to Linux completely and use the same applications. And Java is the right way to do it. I hate MS politics.

I'm developing in IDEs (integrated development environment) whose are written fully in Java - it uses Swing or it's own 'theme engine' and I have no problems on PIII-866Mhz,256MB Ram,WinXP

The game I've made runs smootly in 1024x768x32 on this machine - not many games can be played in this resolution on 866Mhz. If your graphic card supports OpenGL, you can turn it ON with additional drawing methods (eg. Bicubic,Billinear filtering) and you get better quality and performace.
Stewsburntmonkey
level5
level5

Postby Stewsburntmonkey » Sun Dec 12, 2004 7:08 pm

Heh, well almost none of that is Java specific. . . But good for you anyway, it will be interesting to see what comes of this. :)

Return to “General”