Onlink[W:B4|L:B4]: Beta4 released

Anything and Everything about Uplink

Moderators: jelco, bert_the_turtle, Chris, Icepick, Rkiver

MordecaiBlight
level0

Postby MordecaiBlight » Mon Nov 01, 2004 12:34 pm

Wow this sounds like a fun mod! Kinda like a super-mod. I have a request, and I don't know how feasable it is but hear me out.

The ability to have "female" people in the names / database. (It's a gripe my GF's had with the game for several weeks now. :) )

Ideally, it would be a file with a list of male surnames and a second one for female surnames. A seperate array in the code would tag each loaded name as being either male or female. Then, for the FBI system, depending on the surname, either a male or female picture would be displayed.

Now, if you think this is feasable, and would like to add it to this awesome Onlink mod, I'd be willing to voulenteer to do all the graphics work for the FBI database. Heck, I could probably convince my GF to do voice recording for phone calls to female system admins. :)
LLamaBoy
level5
level5

Postby LLamaBoy » Mon Nov 01, 2004 1:15 pm

I believe this is a feature in the works. I seem to remember Miah saying such on IRC a few times, I'm not sure if it's actually implemented yet.
Miah
level5
level5

Postby Miah » Mon Nov 01, 2004 2:56 pm

It's not implemented yet, but it will be... I do have a function to recall male/female and adult/minor for people, however, since I do not have adequate pictures for... well... either females or minors, they're all pictures of the same people.

If you are a female, you may send me pictures of you. I only want the face. Anythingelse will either be cropped, or if vulgar, ignored entirely.

If you are over 18, you may send.
If you are under 18, but above 12, I require some sort of parential consent to use your picture publicly. Yes, that is the law. No, I will not evade it.
If you are under 12, I require consent from both parents/guardians. If you only have one legal guardian, then only that one consent will be nessessary.

I know this seems like over-kill, but it needs to be done. If I do not receive enough pictures via email by about mid-December, I will go to my sister's school with a camera. Despite my being almost twice her age, she is only 11.

All that said...

If you send me any sort of pictures, I will offer your name for the credits' section. The more pictures you can send (that I can *use*), the higher on the list you will be. :)
Deepsmeg
level5
level5

Postby Deepsmeg » Mon Nov 01, 2004 8:04 pm

MordecaiBlight wrote:Ideally, it would be a file with a list of male surnames and a second one for female surnames.

I thought that surnames were pretty much unisex...
Maybe changing the first name would be more useful.
I'm sure that you could craft a boolean into the character type thingy.
Something you've not thought of though is having to change "he, him, his" etc in the news and emails. 2 string tables...

Except for those places where the surname means "Son of Boris" or "Daughter of Boris"
MordecaiBlight
level0

Postby MordecaiBlight » Mon Nov 01, 2004 11:04 pm

Deepsmeg wrote:I thought that surnames were pretty much unisex...
Maybe changing the first name would be more useful.

Oops... yea. That's what I meant. :)

In a similar system I wrote for something completely unrelated, I tagged my text file lists with an extra data character.

0Mike
0Robert
0Richard
1Linda
1Mary
1Jennifer
0Chris
1Chris
1Kelly
0Joeseph

I'm sure cruising around the internet and such could dig up enough pictures of real people yo get 50 or 60 pictures. Another friend of mine who is the son of a police officer has a "police composite" maker program as well. It generates composite pictures used for identifying suspects. If you wish, I can have him churn out a few dozen of those graphics as well. :D

Anyways, as I said, I'd love to help out. If you wish to contact me, my "spam-it-cuz-I-don't-use-it-for-anything-but-public-posts" email is tspre@yahoo.com.
Miah
level5
level5

Postby Miah » Tue Nov 02, 2004 4:05 pm

Hooray etc... Gender bugs knocked out (news stories), minors added. (new database, bit more protection) Plus one other thing: race

If you would like to help out, use the email address in my profile. I'm making several seperate lists, starting with just one for males and one for females. I plan to later extend to Jewish, Arabic, Asian, European, and other sounding names. But not now. :)
ToRmEnToR
level5
level5

Postby ToRmEnToR » Tue Nov 02, 2004 4:18 pm

Correct me if I'm wrong here, but is there a jewish race?
meow
Miah
level5
level5

Postby Miah » Tue Nov 02, 2004 4:23 pm

No, but the second release of Onlink will localize people. Such as, in Isreal, the generator will stand a much better chance to pick out a Jewish sounding name like "Coleman" to be a resident that it would a name like "Smith"

The format has been begun but won't be finished for the first realease. I had already planned multiple releases.

When I said race, I meant region. Western European, American, Middle-east, Northern Africa, Southern Africa, etc.
Mas Tnega
level5
level5

Postby Mas Tnega » Tue Nov 02, 2004 5:28 pm

Deepsmeg wrote:I thought that surnames were pretty much unisex...
[...]
Except for those places where the surname means "Son of Boris" or "Daughter of Boris"
Like O'Brien, MacBeth and Fils-DeBoris?
Riddla
level3
level3

Postby Riddla » Sat Nov 06, 2004 1:03 am

Looks like my bump worked then... good good...
*Riddla+*, when mind-bogglingly insane just isn't enough, they come to me.
PiD4x
level1
level1

Postby PiD4x » Sat Nov 06, 2004 4:35 pm

Man, first off this sounds like its going to be one hell of an awesome mod, and breath new life into uplink!

I like the way you are implementing the c++ compiler system (I proposed a similar idea in the simply uplink thread awhile back heh). Just an idea for the system, when you see news of other hackers attacking a system, maybe if you get into it fast enough, you could find "rare" leftover codes they used to get in ;-)

A nother idea for your mod is to add "honeypot" systems, where if you hack them, your going to get busted. A few FBI honeypot systems could mix it up a bit and add a challenge of having to do some research into the target system before you go in guns blazing (to make sure its not a honeypot, FBI setup, etc). would need a way of detecting them though (maybe people selling list's of known honeypot systems at warez word or somthing)

Ok. you did say you are going for realism, so...
ODDin wrote:
md4 Extract, md5 Extract, SHA-1 Extract - How exactly are these used in Onlink?

These are new to the Onlink world... they are meant to be used when hacking a personal computer. If you get too many wrong passwords, you cannot keep trying. PCs have a sort of Bandwidth Monitor that cannot be bypassed, and also won't kick you off. Instead, it's like trying to run a Password Breaker on the Protovision Game Server. Not happening. md4's are used for first login, md5 for read/write access, and SHA-1 for root access.

md4 Extract - brute force an md4 hash (PC Tool)
md5 Extract - brute force an md5 hash (PC Tool)
SHA-1 Extract - brute force a SHA-1 hash (PC Tool)

Care to explain more?

Because i am trying to figure out what you mean by all this... Those are just hashing algorithms (which where not designed to be used to encrypt passwords in the first place :p), presumably used to store the login details on the server, which in this case would make no difference to logging in to the servers using password breakers (which is bruit force), so how would it be useful when logging in? Unless we acquire the hash's some other way (SQL injection, sniff hash from network data...etc)

More appropriate algorithms could be NTLM, NTLMv2, BSD Hash's, or something along those lines.

I don't see how the extract software would be useful (if your going for realism) unless you got a hold of a database off a server (banks maybe?) that stored client details using those hash's, and you needed to crack the hash's to get there login pass/user

If this is its use, would you consider adding one more program, a rainbow crack (google it) like app (which uses a time V's memory trade off crypto attack) to pre-calculate all possible hash's once, and store the results, then you can look up the plaintext for any hash in minutes (hence the time memory trade of), so we could generate rainbow tables and then not have to bother with the *Extracters (since they bruit force heh) saving time (minutes instead of days, weeks, or months)

but remember, since we have 500ghz processors, cracking md4/5 and sha-1 would be trivial :p

Console Inject - inject a console system into computer that do not have them active

I like this idea, but i think you should implement it as connect back (or bind) 'shellcode' (more or less just a name change lol…because its still a form of injection, just makes more real world sense), to be used with buffer overflow exploit or something along those lines, and make it c++ code fragments like the other stuff, so you have to find the main c++ "framework" code fragment, and then get payload fragments/modules (the connect back/bind shellcode) written for certain software running on systems (like one could target the fileserver, so you can gain console on that system by exploiting the BoF in the fileserver, etc, etcc). I think it would add more realism :)

Also, if you like the idea of shellcode way, then "Record Adder" could also be implemented like that (e.g. That recent exploits written for that windows GDI+ overflow all had connect back, bind, add user, download and exec file - shellcodes for it)

Imaginary Chaos/Real Chaos - pretty hard to understand, considering the source term wasn't yet explained.
Patience, young grasshopper. I will reveal this jewel shortly.

ChaosSecure
Real Chaos - used with ChaosSecure, as decypher is to the cypher)
Imaginary Chaos - used with ChaosSecure, as decypher is to the cypher)

Wondering if this provides similar functions / has anything to do with PK (PGP/RSA) encryption software, with the same name?

Speaking of cyphers, does anyone have an idea how the elliptic curve thing is supposed to work for real, and what does it do? I mean, how do I get in if I'm not a hacker with a special software?..

Not related to the mod, bt this was asked!

sci.crypt is where i find alot of information, and this time is no exception, this pretty much xplains elliptic curve encryption better then i could lol
http://groups.google.com.au/groups?q=el ... net&rnum=1
ToRmEnToR
level5
level5

Postby ToRmEnToR » Sat Nov 06, 2004 5:03 pm

The game is in 2010, password breakers are breaking passwords letter by letter, shall I go continue? Pointing out that certain ideas in this mod are unreal is kinda strange, since the whole basis of the game is far from reality...

Let's keep it unreal...

Anyways, if you like hacking simulators that are a bit more realistic, check out

www.darksigns.com (yes, it's still alive!)

The custom missions there are kinda fun, especially the outpost missions :D
meow
Hektik sniper
level5
level5

Postby Hektik sniper » Sat Nov 06, 2004 5:11 pm

Riddla, what the hell is that monstrositity in your sig? :/
British Army The Number 1 UK Soldat Clan
Winners of Storm and Destory CTF
ODDin
level5
level5

Postby ODDin » Sat Nov 06, 2004 8:24 pm

Well, I believe it's the same pic like in Miah's sig, only with inverted colours.
It used to be the same pic, but then I whined. :)
Last edited by ODDin on Sun Nov 07, 2004 4:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Hektik sniper
level5
level5

Postby Hektik sniper » Sat Nov 06, 2004 9:44 pm

so you spawned the evil that is this sig? CURSE YOU MAN
British Army The Number 1 UK Soldat Clan

Winners of Storm and Destory CTF

Return to “General”