Vista RTM and Defcon

Technical Support for all Defcon related issues

Moderator: Defcon moderators

Jarrah
level0

Vista RTM and Defcon

Postby Jarrah » Sun Dec 03, 2006 9:12 am

Hi there, under Windows XP Defcon ran amazingly fine for me. A few weeks ago I installed RC1 and it ran like crap (less than 1fps in the menu, taking up 80-99% of the CPU; 165mb RAM). I figured it was some RC1 nonsense and just didn't play the game. I installed RTM yesterday and figured everything would be fine for Defcon, but it's exactly the same issue.

Specs are 3200+, X850 XT, 1.5GB RAM... it's a fresh install with the latest Catalyst drivers and also the latest for my Audigy 2. There's nothing running in the background that would effect this, so I'm wondering, is it a known problem that Defcon doesn't work with Vista?

Thanks.
NeoThermic
Introversion Staff
Introversion Staff

Postby NeoThermic » Sun Dec 03, 2006 8:10 pm

This is a problem with ATi's RTM drivers, nothing to do with Defcon:

ATi's Vista Drivers release notes has, not wrote:Note: The following ATI features are not supported in the Catalyst® Vista RTM driver for the Microsoft Windows Vista operating system:
· CrossFire™
· Catalyst® Control Center Video aspect page
· OpenGL
· VIVO support
· The capture driver for these products is not being updated at this time

Since Defcon uses OpenGL, and the driver doesn't support it, you're stuck until ATi get in gear.

NeoThermic
ShadowFox37
level1
level1

Postby ShadowFox37 » Mon Dec 04, 2006 3:10 am

Yeah I believe there was a really big megathread discussing how Defcon could trigger ATI cards to slowly die. Not sure if they pinpointed the problem, but I'd suggest not playing it on your ATI card until OpenGL is supported.
NeoThermic
Introversion Staff
Introversion Staff

Postby NeoThermic » Mon Dec 04, 2006 3:12 am

ShadowFox37 wrote:Yeah I believe there was a really big megathread discussing how Defcon could trigger ATI cards to slowly die. Not sure if they pinpointed the problem, but I'd suggest not playing it on your ATI card until OpenGL is supported.

Those two things are not related to each other, and the thread never came to a decisive conclusion to if Defcon did kill the cards or not. Please do not confuse the matter.

NeoThermic
ShadowFox37
level1
level1

Postby ShadowFox37 » Mon Dec 04, 2006 3:17 am

What two things?
NeoThermic
Introversion Staff
Introversion Staff

Postby NeoThermic » Mon Dec 04, 2006 3:18 am

ShadowFox37 wrote:What two things? ATI cards dying and Defcon?

The ATi cards dying and Vista are not related, so I'm not sure why you posted it.

NeoThermic
Jarrah
level0

Postby Jarrah » Mon Dec 04, 2006 6:13 am

Thanks for the replies, its good to know.

There's no hack or way to enable software rendering is there?
Ranik
level0

Postby Ranik » Tue Dec 05, 2006 5:19 am

Not necessarily an ATI issue.... it has to do with the openGL drivers... I have the same problem with my GeForce... it runs like a 90 year old blind lady driving a nascar
Chris
Introversion Staff
Introversion Staff

Postby Chris » Tue Dec 05, 2006 10:44 am

Nvidia have released new drivers for Vista, which make openGL run properly. In fact, they did this ages ago (like any decent graphics card manufacturer should) in time for the first Vista Beta I think.

I can't quite believe my eyes when I read notes from ATI about their latest drivers that say "openGL not supported". Fair enough Microsoft have changed the way graphics is done in Vista, but ATI have had plenty of time to get new drivers released, and Nvidia didnt seem to have any problems.
TheHappyFriar
level2
level2

Postby TheHappyFriar » Tue Dec 05, 2006 8:09 pm

you SURE Nvidia got FULL OGL in Vista? ~1/2 weeks ago someone get a GF 8800 & ended up taking i back because OGL would only run in 1.1 software emmulation in Vista, so he couldn't play most of his games. Tried every driver he could think of.

but this is another reason to remind people: the Vista we have is still the "beta." The "full" version comes out ~next month or so. And no guarentie it will work 100% eigther (when everybody does 64-bit drivers, i'll be happy!)
Montyphy
level5
level5

Postby Montyphy » Tue Dec 05, 2006 9:17 pm

TheHappyFriar wrote:(when everybody does 64-bit drivers, i'll be happy!)

Me too. I have a copy of 64-bit Windows sitting on my shelf which is pointless using since I can't find 64-bit drivers for my wireless adapter.
Uplink help: Check out the Guide or FAQ.
Latest Uplink patch is v1.55.
Jarrah
level0

Postby Jarrah » Wed Dec 06, 2006 1:39 am

TheHappyFriar wrote:you SURE Nvidia got FULL OGL in Vista? ~1/2 weeks ago someone get a GF 8800 & ended up taking i back because OGL would only run in 1.1 software emmulation in Vista, so he couldn't play most of his games. Tried every driver he could think of.

but this is another reason to remind people: the Vista we have is still the "beta." The "full" version comes out ~next month or so. And no guarentie it will work 100% eigther (when everybody does 64-bit drivers, i'll be happy!)

RTM is out...
alphager
level3
level3

Postby alphager » Wed Dec 06, 2006 1:51 am

Jarrah wrote:
TheHappyFriar wrote:you SURE Nvidia got FULL OGL in Vista? ~1/2 weeks ago someone get a GF 8800 & ended up taking i back because OGL would only run in 1.1 software emmulation in Vista, so he couldn't play most of his games. Tried every driver he could think of.

RTM is out...

So what? Vista isn't officially released to consumers till February. There is no incentive to hurry driver-developement.
TheHappyFriar
level2
level2

Postby TheHappyFriar » Wed Dec 06, 2006 3:46 am

Jarrah wrote:RTM is out...

legally?

eigther way, Ms isn't exactly pushing the 64-bit advancement. Heck, I have BETTER 64-bit support in linux which MS touts as a reason to use Windows over Linux (better overall support-hardware, driver, etc). They should of just ditched the 32-bit version. Heck, they require a relatively higher end GPU (DX9), why not require a 64-bit CPU (which is just as much $$ for a comparative speed 32-bit one)
NeoThermic
Introversion Staff
Introversion Staff

Postby NeoThermic » Wed Dec 06, 2006 4:09 am

TheHappyFriar wrote:
Jarrah wrote:RTM is out...

legally?

eigther way, Ms isn't exactly pushing the 64-bit advancement. Heck, I have BETTER 64-bit support in linux which MS touts as a reason to use Windows over Linux (better overall support-hardware, driver, etc). They should of just ditched the 32-bit version. Heck, they require a relatively higher end GPU (DX9), why not require a 64-bit CPU (which is just as much $$ for a comparative speed 32-bit one)

Er, I don't think you quite get the transition between demanding a DX9 card and demanding a 64-bit CPU. My ATi 9600 runs Aero fine. Vista needs no more than a 9500. Yet I'm stuck on a P4 S487 arch, so I can't even look into getting a 64bit CPU without replacing my motherboard, RAM, CPU, and graphics card, something that I *really* can't afford to do.

MS made a smart call making both a 32 and 64 bit Vista version. Even smarter was putting both on the same install disk. Plus yes, the RTM is legal.

NeoThermic

Return to “Windows Troubleshooting”