Anything and Everything about Uplink

Moderators: jelco, bert_the_turtle, Chris, Icepick, Rkiver

Curiosity
level5
level5

Media Bias against Israel

Postby Curiosity » Sun Apr 18, 2004 2:04 am

http://www.honestreporting.com/

I thought I'd draw this site to the attention of people here, so they can see how many media outlets (bbc included) ride roughshod all over the principles of unbiased and fair reporting in an attempt to make Israel out as the bad guy.

This article is what started it all and is a great example of the utter bias against Israel which pervades throughout the world media:

http://www.honestreporting.com/articles ... it_All.asp
Stewsburntmonkey
level5
level5

Postby Stewsburntmonkey » Sun Apr 18, 2004 2:17 am

Like there are not a huge number of Pro-Israeli media outlets too. . .

The Israeli influence over media and politics is huge. Just because someone does not agree with you does not mean they are baised, hold on, I forgot you are always right. . .

This site is a Jewish run site, you think it is entirely unbiased itself. Word of caution, anyone who has to state that they are not biased is generally quite biased. Just look at the running joke of Fox News, "fair and balanced", who are by far the most conservative and Republican dominated news station in the US. Just look they show no instances of media misreporting Palastinian issues, which there are certainly many cases of. If it was a truly non-biased site it would report the misreporting of both sides, it does not. Ironically it is the very thing it is preportedly fighting against. This is a site to trap ignorant and foolish pro-Israli people. It looks like it has succeeded.

Oh, and Curiosity, isn't today your 17th birthday? If so happy birthday. :D
Last edited by Stewsburntmonkey on Mon Apr 19, 2004 1:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
Me300
level4
level4

Postby Me300 » Sun Apr 18, 2004 4:44 am

Happy birthday Curiosity. And again, I'm staying out of this argument.
Curiosity
level5
level5

Postby Curiosity » Sun Apr 18, 2004 10:49 am

Stews, the point of that site is not to ensure fair reporting of the conflict , it IS to fight against bias against Israel within the media.
It's stated aim is to help Israel in the propaganda war, not give a fair hearing to both sides.

The palestinians wage their own propaganda war against Israel and this is what the site is combatting.

It is picking up on those instances of biased reporting against Israel of which there are many. The BBC themselves are disgustingly biased on the issue.

Why there are civilian palestinian causalties:

See, who has no respect for civilian life?
Flamekebab
level5
level5

Postby Flamekebab » Sun Apr 18, 2004 11:27 am

I can't even be bothered to argue.

Everyone is biased, it is almost impossible not to be.

I'd love to say I care who's fault all the violence is, but I can't see any clear "guilt-less" side and I am not affected by it enough to even care.

What a cruel society we have come to live in, where such violence does not even stir any emotions for someone like myself.
Stewsburntmonkey
level5
level5

Postby Stewsburntmonkey » Sun Apr 18, 2004 4:50 pm

My point is that you cannot ensure fair reporting if you yourself (the website in this case) are biased. You should not kid yourself, the Israelis have a much larger PR campaign against the Palastinians, this site being part of it. You can find all sorts pictures to put one side in a bad light. To be truly balanced you must look for inaccuracies for both sides.
Darksun
level5
level5

Postby Darksun » Sun Apr 18, 2004 7:29 pm

Until recently, most news sources were biased towards Israel. Israeli civilian deaths were much more widely reported than Palistinian civilian deaths. It's the assasinations of the terrorist leaders (some of whom deserved it, even if it was gone about in the wrong way) that is getting anti-israeli bias, and this is partly due to the international condemnation these attacks are receiving.
Phydaux
level5
level5

Postby Phydaux » Sun Apr 18, 2004 7:31 pm

Curiosity wrote:Stews, the point of that site is not to ensure fair reporting of the conflict , it IS to fight against bias against Israel within the media.
It's stated aim is to help Israel in the propaganda war, not give a fair hearing to both sides.

The palestinians wage their own propaganda war against Israel and this is what the site is combatting.

It is picking up on those instances of biased reporting against Israel of which there are many. The BBC themselves are disgustingly biased on the issue.

Why there are civilian palestinian causalties:

[image removed]

See, who has no respect for civilian life?
May I ask if you took this photo? Have you seen this actually happen? Can you prove it was a Reuters photo, and that it hasn't been doctored?
This could be a staged photo.

I'm sure there are a million photos showing either sides, pro's and con's. Your just as bad as the people you are campaning against.

I have new found disrespect for you.
Deepsmeg
level5
level5

Postby Deepsmeg » Sun Apr 18, 2004 9:45 pm

There was a brilliant newspaper tv advert a while ago.
You were told to draw your own conclusions after each image...
Guy jogging along
Old man walking along quite slowly after getting his pension
Guy up a ladder doing stuff
Jogger runs towards old man and pushes him to the ground
Decorator dude drops something

Then it was that to understand, you need to see the full picture:
Guy jogging along, see the old man walking along slowly.
The guy up the ladder drops something as the old man is going under the ladder.
The jogger dives onto the old man and pushes him out of the way.

Isn't it odd how stuff seems so different when you see it all put together?
Curiosity
level5
level5

Postby Curiosity » Sun Apr 18, 2004 10:04 pm

Phydaux wrote:May I ask if you took this photo? Have you seen this actually happen? Can you prove it was a Reuters photo, and that it hasn't been doctored?

I'm sure there are a million photos showing either sides, pro's and con's. Your just as bad as the people you are campaning against.

I have new found disrespect for you.

Wow. Desperation is fun to watch isn't it!

You can't come up with any defence for the actions in the photo so it must have been doctored!

BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

Sorry, but what you said is so desperate and ridiculous that it amused me.

People I'm campaigning against? I'm sure there are plenty of pictures portraying Jews in a bad light, but this one isn't one of them.

IT'S A REAL PHOTO BITCH, FACE FACTS YOU CHICKEN-SHIT PIECE OF CRAP.

Wow, got angry there didn't I?

Image[/img]
The cat
level5
level5

Postby The cat » Sun Apr 18, 2004 10:07 pm

May I ask if you took this photo? Have you seen this actually happen? Can you prove it was a Reuters photo, and that it hasn't been doctored?

I know this pic. I can say surely that it is from february this year when IDF was entering Gaza to commit an organized mission.
There was a resistance and tens of students and children who came out to the streets to protect the armed activists.
5 children died this day in the events that this photo shows.

Who can make this photo? the Israeli government?
You are full of funny and creative conspiracies.... :roll:
Stewsburntmonkey
level5
level5

Postby Stewsburntmonkey » Sun Apr 18, 2004 10:15 pm

Curiosity: I am sorry, but it seems you have totally lost it. If you want to actually make a point and not just rant about whatever you blindly think, then great. Otherwise you should leave important issues such as these to those who actually care about having intellectual discussions about them.

I should point out there are simular images from the American Civil War and the American Revolution.

I could post pictures of IDF soldiers acting badly. I could link to websites spewing all sorts of junk about Israeli conspiracies and Jewish domination of the political and information structures in the West, but I don't. One because it is stupid to post such junk and second I care too much about issues such as this to defame them in such a way. I would only wish you had such respect for the issues.

And just for the record Israel has continually been accused of faking photos and videos (some of the acusations seem fairly plausable).
Curiosity
level5
level5

Postby Curiosity » Mon Apr 19, 2004 1:13 am

I think it's far more plausible that the palestinian terrorist monsters actually commit these acts and the wimpish twats in the West don't want to believe what their eyes are showing them.

Oh, and stews, there's notghing wrong witha rfuing with emotion, however detached you want to appear. Some of us ACTUALLY feel strongly about the issues and aren't just putting up an argument for the sake of it.
Stewsburntmonkey
level5
level5

Postby Stewsburntmonkey » Mon Apr 19, 2004 1:38 am

You totally missunderstand my statement. Feeling strongly about an issue is perfectly accepatable, even desired. As I have said I feel strongly about this issue too. However, you actually tend to let you emmotion take the place of evidence. This, incidentally, is the same weakness that is at the heart of the terrorists. You allow your prejudices to override your intellect. You cannot say something is so just because; you actually have to back it up with something for it to carry any weight.

Personally I don't think the image is faked, though it certainly could be. I don't think it much matters eitherway. As you yourself have said you can find images just as offensive with IDF soldiers in them. I fail to see your point in posting the image. You seem to be flailing around for anything you can sling at the Palastinians.

As I have said if you have some point make it and back it up. Otherwise leave the discussion to those that are serious about discussing it.
Adriac
level5
level5

Postby Adriac » Mon Apr 19, 2004 6:50 am

Curiosity wrote:See, who has no respect for civilian life?

I submit to you a completely open-ended question: Who has no respect for civilian life, the guerrilla fighter who hides amongst noncombatants or the uniformed soldier who fires on him anyway?
00010001000100000000101100010111000 10110000100010001100001011111000101 10000100100000111100010000000011010 0001011000111100001000100001011

Return to “General”