A strange Uplink version

Moderated discussion about Uplink

Moderators: jelco, bert_the_turtle, Chris, Icepick, Rkiver, Punisher Bass

Rkiver
level5
level5

Postby Rkiver » Sun Apr 11, 2004 4:44 pm

It was boring, and after it being free for so long they tried to charge people to download it, that's the last I heard of it.
It was a good idea, but like so many it failed, at least in my opinion it did, and that would be an opinion that seems to be shared by the community at large.
Uplink help: Read the FAQ
Corruptation
level5
level5

Postby Corruptation » Sun Apr 11, 2004 6:32 pm

Well, it's free again now. Bet the people who paid for it are outraged...
I did defeat Epyon, on Hard Mode but I used up lots of continues. :)
annihilator666
level0

Postby annihilator666 » Mon Apr 12, 2004 12:34 pm

then you havent heard any news, only old rumours, at this moment ds is against in development by another company and it progresses very fast. i bet its out within 6 months. and it isnt boring, there is a whole new challenging campaign, and others are working on more campaigns.

dont forget its still beta, so its really not failed, i guess you dont know where youre talking about if you say that!

at least ds is free unlike uplink

uplink is the boring game in my opinion as it covers always the same method of working. if youve played it once the fun is off :(

the community at large thinks ds the better as it is far more realistic, only at this forum people dont recognise value as they are stuck with the uplink idea with which i mean all graphix.
even more one could say uplink is NO hack sim, just an adventure game which uses a hacking layout, whilst ds is far more about doing it step by step, thinking on how to achieve.

compare it with flash, if you use swish you would never achieve the best but its easy, and repetitive
if you use macromedia flash mx, you can do almost everything but its timeconsuming and only for the really talented and the ones with the balls to go though a difficult moment
i know everything, literally, but sometimes a flaw has to be soved
Corruptation
level5
level5

Postby Corruptation » Mon Apr 12, 2004 1:04 pm

Yes, this is indeed an old rumour. That's because people lost interest in Dark Signs.

A new challenging campaign is like the old DS, once you're finished with it, you're bored.

Did we said DS has failed? No.

Don't forget that DS has charged people to download it before. What if it's not free at some point?

Who said it is always the same method of working? You try cracking a password at Uplink Test Machine with one bounce and you might get away with it but try that at the Government Mainframe and you're toast. If you played the mission once, you will get better which means more quick money missions which means more challenging missions which means more fun.

DS however is different every time, the only way to proceed is to look for tiny flaws. Anyone would get fustrated by not being able to find the answer.

Who said Uplink is an adventure game? Why don't I see things like HP, MP, Coins, Gold, Silver? If DS is step by step, I can imagine how long will it take to complete.

Who says programs cannot achieve anything? What are programs for then?
annihilator666
level0

Postby annihilator666 » Mon Apr 12, 2004 7:31 pm

ds has had bad times, but that doesnt say anything about the quality. atm were gaining numbers very fast at our own forums, and its very possible that ds will become the standard for the diehard hack sims, it is already even before its finished :p (at least for the new games)

once you have cracked a bank in uplink youre finished, if you dont crack it you never meet a challenge, you only have to bounce, connect, crack, destroy and cover logs, ive played it one afternoon and was as leet as possible in every mission had the best gateway and software on modlink... every game has its limits on repitivity

uplink costs money too => dont blame developers to ask money, its their good right,

i can crack every crackableserver with np, no challenge at all, its even worse than knowing the gamemakers were good enough in their design, because you know its playable.

i said with a simple prog you cant build magnificent things, with which i mean uplink is for the people who like to win, fast and certain and ds is for the smart and who want to win by facing though challenges

i also want to point out that ds has very great versatility as it has its own scripting language => endless possibilities for program and mission designers
Corruptation
level5
level5

Postby Corruptation » Mon Apr 12, 2004 8:48 pm

Who said you should hack a bank? You're taking the fun out of yourself. If you played it fairly, you will eventually get fun out of it.

If you can't find a challenge, why don't you set one up yourself?

Unfortunately, Uplink is no longer receiving patches or lots of mods. DS however is supported by another active company. It is possible for us to make Uplink more challenging. The problem is about the programmer's time to make it.

Scripting language is good but it can currently only display text at a certain point. It can't do password breaking. (I'm not talking about brute-force password cracker which requires you to enter something and you have to wait for the program to crack it.) Maybe I'm wrong but who knows. :)
Stewsburntmonkey
level5
level5

Postby Stewsburntmonkey » Mon Apr 12, 2004 9:09 pm

I find it quite humorous that annihilator666 can't manage a decent post. I generally find the intellegence level of most of the DS fans to be rather wanting. It seems it is more of a scriptkiddie magnet than a game. Uplink gets a good deal of this too, but at least most of the core community members are pretty intellegent and have communication skills above the level of a monkey. :)
Last edited by Stewsburntmonkey on Tue Apr 13, 2004 6:39 am, edited 1 time in total.
Corruptation
level5
level5

Postby Corruptation » Tue Apr 13, 2004 6:29 am

Same thing goes to some of them in exoSyphen. They don't have captials, punctuations...That's all I think. Anything I missed? :)
annihilator666
level0

Postby annihilator666 » Tue Apr 13, 2004 10:18 am

with dscript you can literally do everything, even reproduce the working of uplink though without the gfx ;)

the good thing about ds is everyone can make missions and programs and they are only limited by the imagination of the coder, whilst in uplink you always have lans, and new things have to be made by the programmers.

i have decent communication skills, but im now just explaining wath the differences are between ds and uplink

ds is not for script kiddies, its for intelligent people, who like a challenge

punctuation is not necessary on a board, as long as you can understand what another one means

i also like to point out (after reading alot on this board) that on ds boards, there is a lot less flaming :?

how do i set up a challenge in uplink? its literally always the same :( its really a good game but sooo repetitive. after a midday i could do everything :(
Corruptation
level5
level5

Postby Corruptation » Tue Apr 13, 2004 10:40 am

Yes but it's not just simple variable or anything. Does C++ have anything to do with DScript? No, except they can make things.

How can the gameplay of DS change? Just missions? That's not good enough. At Uplink however, we can change the security of some servers, add some changes to ease the playing, add new missions. The possibility is endless however you will need to have a good knowledge of C++ and time to code it.

On DS however, the language may be easy to understand, but the things that comes out are simple things displaying some simple text or a simple game. It does not change the gameplay. You still need to type, type and type again. In Uplink, you will have to change your tactics. You can't just use File Copier without Encryption Bypass.

You don't understand the meaning of script kiddies. It means using other people's program to do hacking. (or fake/realistic hacking in this case) You have to use the language in DS, you can't freely use your invention without DS. You can only execute the script in DS. C++ is a well known language, it can be used in almost all platforms. It's just the program compatibility that matters.

Without punctuation, you are stating that you are not very good at English, misunderstood the purpose of the forums and Internet and a lazy person.

Yes, I might agree on that. But that's just because people wouldn't learn from their lesson.

Here's one of the definition of challenge:

A test of one's abilities or resources in a demanding but stimulating undertaking: a career that offers a challenge.

It means to test yourself. Don't ask me what. Do something like going throught the game with only the first Gateway or go through the game without any hint of how long the trace has been on. Have you played the Dev Mods if you have indeed done everything?
annihilator666
level0

Postby annihilator666 » Tue Apr 13, 2004 3:44 pm

uplink isnt difficult wathever you might say, i really can do everything, covered within the concept of uplink.

in ds the script can alter everything. write a proxy, password, decypher and wathever, to do the same in uplink you have to buy the devdisc and be very good in c++

if ds is typing and typing again, then uplink is clicking and clicking again... thats the basic, its the thinking thats different in ds, while in uplink you dont haveto think, just do what has been prechewed by others

i have done many a challenge and i really dont think uplink remains one for me, and
1) the most basic gateway is unusable for most advanced missions, so thats impossible, not a challenge
2) after 3 hacks you know the exact trace of a server, i dont even use the tracker anymore than...
Stewsburntmonkey
level5
level5

Postby Stewsburntmonkey » Tue Apr 13, 2004 5:42 pm

You seem to be one of those people who run to a forum whenever they get stuck on a problem. It is true that if you do this then Uplink is not challenging at all really, and as few people play DS you may not find all the answers spelled out. However if you just sit down and play either game by itself without running for help at the first sign of diffeculty then I think they are fairly simular in diffeculty. DSs just seems like more work for me even if I know exactly what I need to do (which is annoying for me at least). As for your last points about Uplink the first one is simply incorrect. Many people have used the default gateway for the entire game. It is possible, just apparently not spelled out anywhere for those who can't be arsed to figure it out themself. The second point is correct and quite a nice part of Uplink. It is rather realistic and allows a bit more challenge for experienced players. :)
coolsi
level5
level5

Postby coolsi » Tue Apr 13, 2004 6:24 pm

annihilator666...you're ToRmEnToR, aren't you....
Nakatomi is coming
Rkiver
level5
level5

Postby Rkiver » Tue Apr 13, 2004 8:22 pm

annihilator666 Posted: Mon Apr 12, 2004 11:34 am Post subject:
the community at large thinks ds the better as it is far more realistic, only at this forum people dont recognise value as they are stuck with the uplink idea with which i mean all graphix.

Nope can't say I agree with that statement at all I'm afraid, as if you actually ever read most of the topics involving Dark Signs you will see that the community did not support it, or think it better. I believe it is you who needs to get his facts straight.

Regarding the possible redevelopment of it, I wish those involved the best of luck with their project as the creation of a game is never an easy thing.

As for punctuation and grammar, well all I can say is when using a medium that relies on the usage of actual writing correct punctuation, grammar and spelling are always a good thing, as you can get your point across more clearly. Would you not agree?
Uplink help: Read the FAQ
annihilator666
level0

Postby annihilator666 » Wed Apr 14, 2004 9:07 pm

well as far as i see now i can give new answers to (this time) polite posts

stewburntsmoney asumes really incorrect things, ive only once used uplink forum to solve a problem and that was because of an easter egg. for the rest i figured it all out myself, and i really enjoyed it, but now i replay it i have no difficulties, there are absolutely no challenges to me anymore.
if you want to use the first gateway for database missions you have to do endless runs to the upload server, as such that is the same as what he pointed out as one of the weak spots in ds. dont say its possible, i said (and know) for many advanced missions it simply isnt!

coolsi: im not ToRmEnToR (why do these semi leet people always have such annoying nicks?)

Rkiver: if i would read them here, sorry pointless to me ;)
uplink != realism, definitely not, but its very fun because of that annoying trace tracker. its only fast understood and after a while you know how to fix most problems as they ALWAYS involve the same way of thinking :(
also tnx for the tnx :p ds is going to rock, check out within a half yaer or so
puntuation is not necessary in as stressed as here. i place points and kommas and know basic grammar. as such its not fair to say i need to improve it. you cant say its unreadable, not at the least. i agree puncuation is necessary, but capitals are at the least!

last point im going to make clear here: i find it very strange that on these boards people are very agressive towards noobs and people with a different opinion. every one claiming to build uplink online is flamed to death, someone posts about ds and ds is flamed by people who know nothing about it. to an outsider on this board its very obvious that there is not a friendly spirit here. i give you the hint to give others their way of view, be it being a noob or thinking uplink is not that good. behaviour is very important in my eyes ;)

and one final note: i played both uplink and ds tho the minorest detail, so i think i have a fair judgement, if someone replies to me please say the time you spent on both games.

Return to “Uplink in Moderation”