MULTIPLAYER

Ideas for future addons and sequels

Moderators: jelco, bert_the_turtle, Chris, Icepick, Rkiver, Punisher Bass

NutCracker
level1
level1

Postby NutCracker » Mon Dec 01, 2003 10:10 pm

Uplink would be a lot more fun if it had mutiplayer so u could try to battle people and test your hacking abilities.
I REALLY HOPE UPLINK BECOMES MUTIPLAYER
If it does a lot more people will probally play the game.
Hackers are the magicians of the computer...
NeoThermic
Introversion Staff
Introversion Staff

Postby NeoThermic » Mon Dec 01, 2003 11:21 pm

Hmm..
Heard this, seen this, got the source code, design document...

Even I would say that making a MP Uplink is either too difficult, or way way off.

See other threads about why. [hint: Search]

NeoThermic
NutCracker
level1
level1

Postby NutCracker » Tue Dec 02, 2003 12:46 am

Im not talking about some single person making a mutiplayer version. I was saying that it would be awesome if Introversion made Uplink multiplayer. Like in an upgraded version could be mutiplayer. Also making a mutiplayer game is not that hard... I have been working on a fake hacking mutiplayer game made in vb for about a week and ive already made the layout for it.
Jackmn
level5
level5

Postby Jackmn » Tue Dec 02, 2003 5:21 am

VB barely qualifies as a real programming language.

Uplink is upwards of 50,000 lines of code. Fitting that with multiplayer code, and doing so in a clean manner is no simple task.

Plus Uplink is too simple to warrant online play.
Superpig
level4
level4

Postby Superpig » Tue Dec 02, 2003 12:09 pm

Looking at the code, the architecture could support multiplayer (with a bit of shoehorning) but the code itself would need a near-total rewrite. And that's 27.8 MB of pure text to rewrite, from scratch.

You can do it if you really want...
Superpig
- Saving pigs from untimely fates
NutCracker
level1
level1

Postby NutCracker » Wed Dec 03, 2003 12:34 am

I would never do it... Its in C right? I dont even know C so i cant. I was saying was that it would be awesome if Introversion made Uplink multiplayer because since they are a company and all they probally could rewrite some of it. Gosh thats annoying to say! Every single post ive posted in any forum for about 2 weeks nobody has understood what i meant!!!!!!!!!!!! Its getting really annoying having to repeat almost the same thing over and over...
Maniak
level4
level4

Postby Maniak » Wed Dec 03, 2003 12:39 am

This is because your posts are incomprehensible.*

Try using paragraphs, and sentences to seperate your ideas so people can understand them.

*Look it up in the dictionary. Highlight the bottom if you must read it.**

**If you really need to know, it means unable to understand.

(Edited by Maniak at 5:43 pm on Dec. 2, 2003)
Maniak hacks like crazy!
Click here to visit my favorite site! My Profile! Rate Me! Community status: Forum Maniac Newbie Guides!
Jackmn
level5
level5

Postby Jackmn » Wed Dec 03, 2003 12:52 am

That is a very common word Maniak, nobody is going to require a dictionary to understand it.
NutCracker
level1
level1

Postby NutCracker » Wed Dec 03, 2003 2:22 am

still... I have to say the same thing atleast twice before anyone understands what i said.

Anyways the reason why i said Uplink should be mutiplayer is because it would be more challenging and thrilling to be (fake) hacking a real person.
Corruptation
level5
level5

Postby Corruptation » Wed Dec 03, 2003 8:07 am

NutCracker, if you would bother to look at Superpig's post, it says
Quote: from Superpig on 11:09 am on Dec. 2, 2003[br]that's 27.8 MB of pure text to rewrite, from scratch.

Do you really think Introversion would do that? No one could bribe them or anything. The idea is never going to come out. Introversion are working on the next game.

(Edited by Corruptation at 6:36 am on Feb. 27, 2004)
I did defeat Epyon, on Hard Mode but I used up lots of continues. :)
Superpig
level4
level4

Postby Superpig » Wed Dec 03, 2003 5:33 pm

Quote: from NutCracker on 11:34 pm on Dec. 2, 2003[br]I would never do it... Its in C right? I dont even know C so i cant.

C++, actually, though they don't tend to take advantage of some of the more freaky features of C++ (the STL isn't used at all, and things like templates are pretty sparse). So it's more a kinda 'C-with-classes,' which isn't too hard to understand for a C coder. You could always learn C; I learnt it at age 13, and moved to C++ around a year later. You're never too young to start; I'd actually been coding in BASIC since age 6, which gave me a bit of an advantage, but even then...

I was saying was that it would be awesome if Introversion made Uplink multiplayer because since they are a company and all they probally could rewrite some of it.

You possibly have an erroneous picture of Introversion in your head. Look at the back of your code card, it has a listing of the coding team from when Uplink was made:

Introversion Software is
Chris Delay
Mark Morris
Thomas Arundel

Only one of those people actually codes (Chris). He wrote the entire game. Morris and Arundel handled the marketing and publishing, IIRC (because they published the game themselves, which is a very difficult thing for an indie to do, so I wouldn't be surprised if there were two people handling it full-time. Frankly I would have expected more).

Now, it's possible that they've taken on 10-20 people since Uplink launched (hopefully they made enough revenue to be able to do so). However, it's unlikely.

So we're not talking about 'a company' rewriting the code. We're talking about *one person*. Heck, there's a greater chance that the mod community will do it (as there's more than one modder).

(Edited by Superpig at 4:54 pm on Dec. 3, 2003)
Superpig

- Saving pigs from untimely fates
NutCracker
level1
level1

Postby NutCracker » Wed Dec 03, 2003 9:08 pm

They wouldnt have to REWRITE the code! Ever thought that they could make mutiplayer different from single player? They wouldnt need to rewrite any of it if they made mutiplayer a little different from single player. They would have to add on quite a bit of code, but if they are a company then they should be able to do it... The only part of the code they would have to rewrite is the menu and whatever other stuff they would want to rewrite to make single player more like mutiplayer, but they wouldnt need to.
Rkiver
level5
level5

Postby Rkiver » Wed Dec 03, 2003 9:27 pm

NutCracker: Introversion Software is a company true, or only about 4 people, and they are all working on <the next game> and <the next next game>. And coding the multiplayer would involve a rewrite of the code, otherwise it couldn't be an add on like you want it to be.

Now if they were to make it a completely seperate game, then maybe, but that would involve even more coding. Editing the existing code would be easier, but only comparatively so. It would still be damn difficult.

As for your comment of "They only part of the code the would have to rewrite is the menu and other stuff", well yes and no. Yes they would obviously have to recode the menu to some degree, along with approx 70% of the code, as most of the items in single player would not work in multiplayer unless seriously recoded.
Uplink help: Read the FAQ
NutCracker
level1
level1

Postby NutCracker » Wed Dec 03, 2003 9:30 pm

sry super pig i didnt c that last huge post until after i posted mine.
DANG 1 programmer!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Uplink was written with 1 programmer!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
No wonder why they give out the source code...

Also you started basic when u were 6... VERY hard to believe, but possibly true. I wanted to be a programmer since i was like 8, but never started until i was about 11.
When i was about 10 i game that was all text with printshops webpage design tools. It had about 70 pages and took a while... It was a dbz game(lol). O and now i just turned 13 :). Im too old! I say i have been learning it pretty quickly, but the only language i no is VB. Well of course i know most of basic too cause visual basic is almost the same thing as basic. Both of my parents are programmers so they help me out a LITTLE.

I have a C compiler and im going to get a laptop with linux for christmas. You should probally be able to guess why im getting it... I wanted to be like zeroCOOL, but i got stumped for a while and had a pretty hard time figuring out what was my next step.
Katana Steel
level2
level2

Postby Katana Steel » Thu Dec 04, 2003 3:23 pm

Superpig Posted on 12:09 pm on Dec. 2, 2003
And that's 27.8 MB of pure text to rewrite, from scratch.

I would do it, if I had the code(and more C++ experience)

I started BASIC at the age of 12-13,
and C at the age of 16-17,
and are currently diving into Assembly
for my first time.
-- as life grows older, I gain experience

Return to “The Future”