Comprehensive list of nuclear war movies.

General discussion about Defcon

Moderator: Defcon moderators

Splatterer
level1
level1

Comprehensive list of nuclear war movies.

Postby Splatterer » Wed Nov 08, 2006 10:50 pm

I'd like if possible to keep this list just of movies that are about the war itself. i.e., movies where the nuclear war actually takes place.

Here are the ones that I know of.

Threads
The Day After
By Dawns Early Light
Miracle Mile
On the Beach
The War Room
Testament

I know there has to be many more, so add some!
"We are all sons of bitches now." Kenneth Bainbridge, Physicist, Manhattan Project (1945).
Slinken
level2
level2

Re: Comprehensive list of nuclear war movies.

Postby Slinken » Thu Nov 09, 2006 1:16 am

Splatterer wrote:I'd like if possible to keep this list just of movies that are about the war itself. i.e., movies where the nuclear war actually takes place.

Here are the ones that I know of.

Threads
The Day After
By Dawns Early Light
Miracle Mile
On the Beach
The War Room
Testament

I know there has to be many more, so add some!

Did you not write the most inportant on purpose? If not: Wargames
Nuclear Lunch
level0

Postby Nuclear Lunch » Thu Nov 09, 2006 1:27 am

Slinken wrote:Did you not write the most inportant on purpose? If not: Wargames

DNE
Splatterer wrote:movies where the nuclear war actually takes place.

I did the exact same thing, but Wargames lacked a real war.
Lastof
level2
level2

Postby Lastof » Thu Nov 09, 2006 1:33 am

Slinken wrote:Did you not write the most inportant on purpose? If not: Wargames

Splatterer wrote:i.e., movies where the nuclear war actually takes place.

War doesn't actually take place in Wargames. Only War Games do. So, I think by his terms wargames doesn't qualify (though, it should go on anyway, cause it's awesome).

[EDIT]Bah, took too long.
SFawler
level0

Postby SFawler » Thu Nov 09, 2006 1:43 am

I have not heard a single one of those movies Splatterer, and that irritates me as a fan of war films. They any good?
Last edited by SFawler on Thu Nov 09, 2006 2:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
Montyphy
level5
level5

Postby Montyphy » Thu Nov 09, 2006 1:51 am

"Trinity and Beyond the Atomic Bomb"
Uplink help: Check out the Guide or FAQ.
Latest Uplink patch is v1.55.
SFawler
level0

Postby SFawler » Thu Nov 09, 2006 1:55 am

Montyphy wrote:"Trinity and Beyond the Atomic Bomb"

That's not a nuclear war film though. It's a documentary, plus it's borderline because apart from a couple of nukes, nothing else of a nuclear exchange happened in WWII which would fit the requirements where a "nuclear war actualy takes place."
Last edited by SFawler on Thu Nov 09, 2006 2:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
Montyphy
level5
level5

Postby Montyphy » Thu Nov 09, 2006 2:05 am

SFawler wrote:
Montyphy wrote:"Trinity and Beyond the Atomic Bomb"

That's not a fucking nuclear war film though. It's a documentary, plus it's borderline because apart from a couple of nukes, nothing else of a nuclear exchange happened in WWII which would fit the requirements where a "nuclear war actualy takes place."

Since when can't documentaries be movies/films? Are they not a genre/style of TV programme or film? Is the full title not "Trinity and Beyond the Atomic Bomb Movie"? Were two nuclear weapons not used during World War II?

Something tells me you clearly wont last long around here.
Last edited by Montyphy on Thu Nov 09, 2006 2:08 am, edited 1 time in total.
Uplink help: Check out the Guide or FAQ.

Latest Uplink patch is v1.55.
SFawler
level0

Postby SFawler » Thu Nov 09, 2006 2:08 am

Montyphy wrote:Since when can't documentaries be movies/films? Are they not a genre/style of TV programme or film? Is the full title not "Trinity and Beyond the Atomic Bomb Movie"? Were two nuclear weapons not used during World War II?

Something tells me you clearly wont last long around here.

Of course they can, I ain't disputing that, but it only documents a particular nuclear test, and the two nukes dropped during WWII hardly counts as a "nuclear war". When someone thinks of "nuclear war" they think of massive ICBMs being fired from many countries ala DEFCON. If the events of WWII count as a "nuclear war", then it was a pretty small-scale one.

*swearing removed, for now.*
Last edited by SFawler on Thu Nov 09, 2006 2:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
GlassThatRock
level1
level1

Postby GlassThatRock » Thu Nov 09, 2006 2:28 am

Splatterer wrote:Miracle Mile

Not a huge amount of nuclear war going on there but well worth a watch...

Testament

You see nothing of the war at all in this one.
cconly
level0

Postby cconly » Thu Nov 09, 2006 3:00 am

Dr Strangelove: or How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love the Bomb. Britain 1963, dir. Stanley Kubrick. Peter Sellers, George C. Scott, Sterling Hayden, Keenan Wyn, et al.

A GREAT movie, hilarious and horrifying at the same time. Of the period too -- when you saw it you knew it could be happening. Listed in "Time Out Film Guide" as one of the best 100 films ever.
SODsniper
level3
level3

Postby SODsniper » Thu Nov 09, 2006 3:42 am

By Dawn's Early Light was an awesome flick...

And there is also the new TV Series JERICHO which is a nuclear Terrorist attack, but a "war" nonetheless

SODsniper
SODsniper
www.specialopsdivision.com
Building A Better RavenShield Community......One Map At A Time.....
SFawler
level0

Postby SFawler » Thu Nov 09, 2006 4:26 am

cconly wrote:Dr Strangelove: or How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love the Bomb. Britain 1963, dir. Stanley Kubrick. Peter Sellers, George C. Scott, Sterling Hayden, Keenan Wyn, et al.

A GREAT movie, hilarious and horrifying at the same time. Of the period too -- when you saw it you knew it could be happening. Listed in "Time Out Film Guide" as one of the best 100 films ever.

THERE WAS NO FUCKING NUCLEAR WAR IN THAT FILM!!!! YOU STUPID FUCK!!!!

UHG! I hate people not following the question properly. The US and USSR were close to war, but once the bomb had hit there was no war because the other nukes exploded by themselves. It was a deterrant, there was no actual inter-continental nuclear exchange in the film, hence, no nuclear WAR. Idiot.

EDIT: Leaving. Too many dipshits around here.
NewWorldOrder
level1
level1

Postby NewWorldOrder » Thu Nov 09, 2006 5:23 am

SODsniper wrote:By Dawn's Early Light was an awesome flick...

And there is also the new TV Series JERICHO which is a nuclear Terrorist attack, but a "war" nonetheless

SODsniper

I agree I like by dawns early light, because it portrays what happens in the command structure during a nuclear war.
MoonHill
level3
level3

Postby MoonHill » Thu Nov 09, 2006 5:25 am

SFawler wrote:
cconly wrote:Dr Strangelove: or How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love the Bomb. Britain 1963, dir. Stanley Kubrick. Peter Sellers, George C. Scott, Sterling Hayden, Keenan Wyn, et al.

THERE WAS NO FUCKING NUCLEAR WAR IN THAT FILM!!!! YOU STUPID FUCK!!!!

UHG! I hate people not following the question properly. The US and USSR were close to war, but once the bomb had hit there was no war because the other nukes exploded by themselves. It was a deterrant, there was no actual inter-continental nuclear exchange in the film, hence, no nuclear WAR. Idiot.

EDIT: Leaving. Too many dipshits around here.

What a completely insufferable fuckwit you are.

The bombs did not "go off by themselves", and I can't fathom whatever gave you that idea.

"Mr. President, we can not allow a mine-shaft gap!" is the statement that explains exactly what's going on during the end of that film. The doomsday device has gone off. The super-bomb sheathed in cobalt has detonated. The earth will be uninhabitable shortly. Those who will survive must get into mineshafts to wait out the radiation. The Soviets might have more mineshafts than the US, or vice versa, so on and so forth.

Thus, the war goes nuclear because each side wants to ensure that it has the most mineshafts within which to survive the nuclear holocaust.

The entire end of that film is nuclear war set to "We'll meet again".

Nothing more entertaining than an asshole being assholic about something they're completely wrong about.

Return to “General”