Battlestar Galactica / DRADIS mod

Discuss your new mods and themes here

Moderator: Defcon moderators

squatchmo
level0

Battlestar Galactica / DRADIS mod

Postby squatchmo » Wed Nov 01, 2006 3:07 am

Hey all, first post. Awesome game, I'm buying the full version when I get my next paycheck.

I've been reading on the mods, trying to get the gist of what's doable. So far I've got that the bitmaps can be changed, the maps can be changed, sailable areas can be changed, not sure about the in-game GUI, and maybe the sounds can be changed.

So here's a mod idea: A DRADIS- style Battlestar Galactica (New, not old) mod. I.E.:

Now I think it's impossible to have two sides, even AI, use different bitmaps, correct? So it'd have to be Battlestars vs Battlestars, oh well. I just got the idea because I love micromanaging Naval battles, gotta love fleet warfare.

I was thinking, change the bitmaps to where:
Carriers = Battlestars (duh)
Battleships = Cruisers (We haven't seen these on the show yet, but I think it's safe to assume they exist(ed))
Subs = Battlestars or Cruisers with nukes.

Now on those, it might be just a better Idea to make them all Battlestars, just with varying capabilities.

Fighters = Vipers
Bombers = Raptors

Then for the map, A nice, big, sailable space, with two circular land masses and maybe two or three smaller (Planets and Moons)

Anyone who knows more about modding this game than I care to expound on the feasability? I'm off to check out where the mod tools are...

Have a good one.
Spacemonkey
level4
level4

Postby Spacemonkey » Wed Nov 01, 2006 3:31 am

It certainly is feasible, and i would love to help out.

I've made a few maps so far, haven't done any unit graphics but i'll be glad to give it a go.
Mentarque
level1
level1

Postby Mentarque » Wed Nov 01, 2006 5:48 pm

Ooooh yes please ! make this mod ! I am a huge fan of Battlestar Galactica.
Feud
level5
level5

Postby Feud » Wed Nov 01, 2006 6:27 pm

This would be awesome! If I knew anything abot making mods or icons I would love to help out, but I don't, so I think I would be of limited use.
Kuth
level4
level4

Postby Kuth » Wed Nov 01, 2006 9:48 pm

The only thing I can think of would be inter-colonial wars with nuclear weapons. Else, not much point to a mod like this other than adopting the textures.

Fan of the origional BSG, not so much the new series- jury's out on this one.
Spacemonkey
level4
level4

Postby Spacemonkey » Wed Nov 01, 2006 11:38 pm

I quickly threw this together, just for a general idea of what the map could look like, the planets will be able to look alot better then this, and we could have rings and moons and stuff.

Feud
level5
level5

Postby Feud » Wed Nov 01, 2006 11:51 pm

Yo would almost have to include various moons, atroid belts. Otherwise you would have almsot nowhere to place things, and what you did place would be so statci that the other guy would already know exactly what you were doing before hand.

The other option is to remove silo's completly (if possible) so that only ships could launch. That way you are more reliant on recon and naval engagements to keep them from launching.
Spacemonkey
level4
level4

Postby Spacemonkey » Thu Nov 02, 2006 12:04 am

well, not really, you can place them anywhere on the planet, the enemy wouldn't know where they are.
shinygerbil
level5
level5
Location: Out, finding my own food. Also, doing the shinyBonsai Manoeuvre(tm)

Postby shinygerbil » Thu Nov 02, 2006 1:11 am

It is, I believe, possible to remove all land; but then you're left with no airbases or radar, so it's probably a good idea to keep the land. Intriguing idea, though, I'm looking forward to it :)
Here is my signature. Make of it what you will.
Kuth
level4
level4

Postby Kuth » Thu Nov 02, 2006 3:35 am

If there is no land where would the cities go?
Gein
level1
level1

Postby Gein » Thu Nov 02, 2006 3:40 am

You can place cities anywhere. It doesnt need land to place. Just like the coastlines and borders.
Spacemonkey
level4
level4

Postby Spacemonkey » Thu Nov 02, 2006 3:51 am

"I live in a city under the sea"
Kuth
level4
level4

Postby Kuth » Thu Nov 02, 2006 3:59 am

Well I know for certain in the origional battlestar galactica, the 12 colonies were spread over 12 different planets. Not sure how they handle it in TNS, but if you wanted to make a BSG mod conceputally you could map the system of the 12 colonies and have an inter-colonial civil war, perhaps with one player on the fringes of the map as the cylons.

In the end, BSG doesn't seem to be a good application on Defcon.

It would be nice to edit the user interface though, so it could closer resemble the graphics around the screenshot provided.
Mighty Santa
level2
level2

Postby Mighty Santa » Sat Nov 04, 2006 1:07 am

I think BSG is the ideal concept for the ultimate DEFCON mod.

As noted, the only real issue seems to be the fact that we are not able to add entirely new objects.

Battlestars vs Battlestars in a mighty fleetwar battle would still be awesome though.

Santa - Brace for Turbulance !
4, 8, 15, 16, 23, 42
Kuth
level4
level4

Postby Kuth » Sat Nov 04, 2006 3:37 am

Mighty Santa wrote:

I think BSG is the ideal concept for the ultimate DEFCON mod.

As noted, the only real issue seems to be the fact that we are not able to add entirely new objects.

Battlestars vs Battlestars in a mighty fleetwar battle would still be awesome though.

Santa - Brace for Turbulance !

I can see you're obviously a TNS fan.

Ok, so if you think BSG is the "ideal concept for the ultimate Defcon mod", explain for us all exactly what you'd do and how you'd do it. Extra points for pictures, because I'm not beleiving any of it.

Return to “Mod Projects”