Most desired patch upgrade?

Ideas for expansions and improvements to Defcon

Moderator: Defcon moderators

What feature would you most like to see implemented?

Better MOD support
12%
An organised Tournament
6%
Player Ranking/Matching system
33%
Map Editor / Scenario Editor
16%
Better AI Opponent
13%
Recording and Playback of games
19%

Total votes: 509
blackwhitehawk
level2
level2

Postby blackwhitehawk » Fri Oct 20, 2006 2:10 am

xander wrote:Spacing helps a little, when it doesn't break up sentences, but there is more to it than that. Grammar, punctuation, and spelling are important. For instance, you have combined your first two sentences: "I do not like the idea of haveing[sic] a player ranking system it could end up like dawn of war." You need either a comma or period after system. The entire paragraph should look more like this:

blackwhitehawk wrote:I do not like the idea of having a player ranking system. It could end up like Dawn of War. They either kick the highly ranked players or they kick the low ranked players. As host I was sometimes forced to kick the low ranking players because no one would click accept if they were on their team :cry: . But then i would also kick that person too :twisted:. It made it almost impossible to find a game. I actualy had to remake a account just to play without hosting my own games. Unless there is going to be a ladder system like Warcraft 3, where they only count certain games, like default play. Which are the only ones that should count so people can decide if they would like to play a ranked game or not.

Much as you may not have believed your teachers, proper writing style is very important. People judge you based upon the way in which you write, especially on the internet, which is largely a written medium. Knowing nothing about you, your writing style is similar to that of a 6th grader -- if I had only your writing to go on, I would assume that you were no more than 12 years old.

xander

Assume away it is your right as a person. I am sorry my grammer is that bad but I really never did understand english and I still have problems with it.

I wish that I could understand it like most people but it just something that will take a longer time for me to learn then most. As I said I will try and improve upon it so it is easyer to read.
andygrunt
level0

Postby andygrunt » Fri Oct 20, 2006 5:59 pm

I voted for better AI opponent.

I think 95% of all the games of Defcon I've played have been single player against Bot. I just find it easier to play without the hassles of multiplayer and (generally) a more fun/pleasant experience.

I'd still like to play it on the 3D globe seen in the title page though - pretty please :lol:
HUNdefcon
level1
level1

Postby HUNdefcon » Sat Oct 21, 2006 10:27 pm

Player ranking system... i wanna show everybody how hard i rock :lol:
Eldkraft
level1
level1

Postby Eldkraft » Sun Oct 22, 2006 1:51 am

Voted for 'tournament' but maybe I should have gone with the 'AI' instead.

I don't really like the idea with a ranking system because then good players would hesitate to play with people who are new or not that good players, there would be too much to lose and too little to gain. The great thing about playing against people who are way better is that you learn from your mistakes and you become better, if you implement a ranking system people would get stuck in the newbie swamp just tredding (swamp)water. Also I think that rankings etc brings out the worst in people and the spirit of the community would get much more harsher, just get some tournaments going and let people compete there.

Also...one thing that really can ruin a game is speedwhiners, whining as soon as speed goes down to realtime. I think, but I guess this differs a lot from person to person, that micromanagement in realtime is crucial. There are alot of stuff going on, maybe you are coordinating strikes while defending both sea and land from enemies + transporting aircrafts between airports. I usually let the speed go at 5x, sometimes faster, but when it gets heavy I like to use a few seconds in realtime, so therfor I think it would be a great idea to have a :idea: ignore button.
Mentarque
level1
level1

Postby Mentarque » Sun Oct 22, 2006 4:33 pm

I voted for Tournament, but i can't really choose... all are great ideas for the game :(
bOgan_X
level1
level1

Postby bOgan_X » Mon Oct 23, 2006 9:53 am

voted for rankings but a tourny would be cool infact all the
suggested changes/improvements are ok with me.

i would also like to suggest a new unit.

1: a port where subs/ships can repair and re arm.
Montyphy
level5
level5

Postby Montyphy » Mon Oct 23, 2006 12:47 pm

bOgan_X wrote:1: a port where subs/ships can repair and re arm.

1) Fleets, fighters and bombers don't need repairs since they all have 1HP
2) It would be slightly useless since ships move too slowly to make any real use of them.
Uplink help: Check out the Guide or FAQ.
Latest Uplink patch is v1.55.
Dazzle
level0

Postby Dazzle » Tue Oct 24, 2006 12:06 am

I voted rankings but what I really want is a way of knowing that a game will end, better still will end with all its players.

Some sort of scoring system for games finished verses hosted for servers and games finished verses started for players.

Come up with some way of determining it so that very occasional leaves aren't punished too bad but repeated ones are.

Put something in the server hosting to allow you to specify the leaving rating.

Some way of requesting a leave without the penalty with others consent, if something comes up and you have to go then you can ask and it doesn't hurt the rating.

SOOOO fed up with Server Disconnected and almost as much with players leaving when I host. Puts me off playing if I'm going to invest an hour plus of my time just to see it wasted.
Deezee
level1
level1

Postby Deezee » Tue Oct 24, 2006 7:32 am

Any idea when we can expect a patch? I'm giddy with excitement. :)
xander
level5
level5

Postby xander » Tue Oct 24, 2006 2:53 pm

Deezee wrote:Any idea when we can expect a patch? I'm giddy with excitement. :)

Umm... last week? The server browser was updated.

xander
palehorse864
level2
level2

Postby palehorse864 » Tue Oct 24, 2006 6:58 pm

I think he means a patch with one of these updates. :)

I honestly don't know. Hopefully they will decide on doing more than one (I'm hoping for at least demo recording to make it in as that would allow us to save games and play them later, and see just why we lost).
B3rgil
level1
level1

Postby B3rgil » Tue Oct 24, 2006 11:56 pm

I voted for Map/Scenario Editor... but I hope for a better Mod Support too. 8)
Mighty Santa
level2
level2

Postby Mighty Santa » Wed Oct 25, 2006 12:59 am

:?
OMG...so far the voting is greatly concerning.

I voted for the Map / Scenario editor

Forget about ranks and all that stuff people. Can you imagine how good it will be if we can make easily customisable maps for the game ?

Santa - legendary online map maker
4, 8, 15, 16, 23, 42
Monsterburger
level0

Most desired upgrade

Postby Monsterburger » Wed Oct 25, 2006 5:31 pm

a pause key would be good
GeneticFreak
level3
level3

Postby GeneticFreak » Wed Oct 25, 2006 5:58 pm

an IN-GAME (not mod) ability to play, create and share custom maps would be very nice, So we don't have to load up for example Indonesia map and make a date with other people to use the map and make a server just for us, instead... make it like how other RTS handle custom maps :) :) :) ingame not fiddling with mods :)
Blessed be the LORD my strength which teacheth my hands to war and my fingers to fight

Return to “Think Tank”