Full Version and My Situation

General discussion about Defcon

Moderator: Defcon moderators

T-34/85 1944
level0

Full Version and My Situation

Postby T-34/85 1944 » Sat Oct 21, 2006 2:40 am

An appeal to the masses of nuke-crazed fiends:

I am horribly addicted to the demo of Defcon, and it is obvious to everyone around me that I must buy the full version. My problem is this: I play the game on my laptop, which is not currently connected to the internet. If I were to purchase the full version of Defcon, I am assuming that I would have to connect my laptop to the net for verification and all that jazz. What I am asking, I guess, is if I could transfer the code over to an offline laptop from an online computer, or does the laptop itself have to be connected for verification and such?

Thank you for any help you can give me.
xander
level5
level5

Postby xander » Sat Oct 21, 2006 2:50 am

According to Chris, the auth codes have algorithmic properties. Thus, it should authenticate, even if off-line. It should report an authentication status that is not "Demo," but is also not quite "Authenticated." You would have to try it to know the exact phrasing...

xander
KungFuAlex
level2
level2

Postby KungFuAlex » Sat Oct 21, 2006 11:22 am

But you could copy the game to a USB memory stick, and connect that to a computer whio has net access, then bring it back after you have authenticated?
Or just keepit on the USB memory stick and play wherever you go :P
xander
level5
level5

Postby xander » Sat Oct 21, 2006 3:37 pm

My understanding is that Defcon hits the metaserver for authentication every time to start it. If it cannot hit the metaserver, it will fall back to the semi-authenticated state listed above. So, no, using a USB stick as you suggest wouldn't help.

xander
alphager
level3
level3

Postby alphager » Sat Oct 21, 2006 6:52 pm

I have the same situation with my other computer; heres wht happens:
On startup, if Defcon can't find the metaserver, it claims it cannot authenticate and lets you play the full version.
GeneticFreak
level3
level3

Postby GeneticFreak » Sat Oct 21, 2006 8:06 pm

Yeah once you have authenticated before, you can play, just play defcon from a USB disk or something, plug it on the internet capable PC, auth it once, plug it on your laptop and play from there. It will say Authentication Status UNKNOWN (not DEMO) and lets you play
Blessed be the LORD my strength which teacheth my hands to war and my fingers to fight
xander
level5
level5

Postby xander » Sun Oct 22, 2006 1:45 am

GeneticFreak wrote:Yeah once you have authenticated before, you can play, just play defcon from a USB disk or something, plug it on the internet capable PC, auth it once, plug it on your laptop and play from there. It will say Authentication Status UNKNOWN (not DEMO) and lets you play

Again, you shouldn't have to authenticate with the metaserver at all, ever, to play the Authentication Staus UNKNOWN full game. If your code is valid, the application should be able to figure that out.

xander
meowsqueak
level0

Postby meowsqueak » Sun Oct 22, 2006 2:31 am

I have played Defcon on a LAN that cannot connect to the authentication server, with two purchased keys and two demo keys. As long as the keys are different, you do not need to connect to the authentication server to play as the full version - the game simply shows the status as 'unknown' for the purchased keys, and 'demo' for the others. All that nonsense about USB keys and transferring 'authenticated' versions around the place is just that - nonsense. Why do people deliberately spread lies? It raises the noise floor and is totally unhelpful.

As an aside, if you try using the same purchased key twice in this situation above, when the second instance tries to connect to the server the conflict is detected and prohibited.
KungFuAlex
level2
level2

Postby KungFuAlex » Sun Oct 22, 2006 3:18 am

Heh, that thing with the USB was a suggestion, did you not see the question mark there?
I was trying to be helpful, and asking if it was possibele, and I got my answer. I did not "spread" lies, I was mearly suggesting something to try and be helpeful ;)

Another wierd thing, I was listed as unknown while I DID have access to the net, and I infact played a game over the net, it only happend once tho, so I guess some wierd things was happening with my net.
GeneticFreak
level3
level3

Postby GeneticFreak » Sun Oct 22, 2006 5:19 am

I am not spreading lies.. I merely suggested what worked for me. Because I haven't tried installing a brand new defcon on a brand new PC without internet, I shared my experience with my defcon instead on PC that is sometimes conneted to internet, sometimes doesnt
Blessed be the LORD my strength which teacheth my hands to war and my fingers to fight
T-34/85 1944
level0

Postby T-34/85 1944 » Sun Oct 22, 2006 11:03 am

Thank you everybody for your help.

I apologise for being so dense, but to refine the question further - when one purchases the full version, is an authentication key provided which can be entered into the game on a computer not connected to the internet?
meowsqueak
level0

Postby meowsqueak » Sun Oct 22, 2006 10:51 pm

T-34/85 1944 wrote:when one purchases the full version, is an authentication key provided which can be entered into the game on a computer not connected to the internet?

Yes.

Return to “General”