New reason for shutting down servers...

General discussion about Defcon

Moderator: Defcon moderators

GeneticFreak
level3
level3

New reason for shutting down servers...

Postby GeneticFreak » Sat Oct 21, 2006 8:17 am

It's not just because of losing anymore...

the server shuts down right after that :(

with the rate of the asshole population growth this game is gonna die soon
Blessed be the LORD my strength which teacheth my hands to war and my fingers to fight
Michaeru
level1
level1

Postby Michaeru » Sat Oct 21, 2006 8:26 am

*sigh* The stupid people never die out. :?
Kuth
level4
level4

Postby Kuth » Sat Oct 21, 2006 9:24 am

Perhaps soon the world of servers will be hosted on a clan basis. Rouge servers would be present, but because everyone assumes they are un-sanctioned it means anything goes, is a world of 100x, or is just "unknown."

The clan servers would be reliable because they are manned and hosted by reliable people with a reliable game- they wouldn't be likely to deviate from what they advertise is the norm in thier clans or else they wouldn't be as reliable. Ignorant morons who join these Clansmen backyards who would rather be in the wild wouldn't be far from being booted by the other players or just leaving on their own because of boredom.

Just a thought.
Mr. Morden
level1
level1

Postby Mr. Morden » Sat Oct 21, 2006 9:32 am

Yesterday, while readying a game, a spectator repeatedly asked the host to kick a demo player so the spectator could take the slot. When the host refused, the spectator started swearing and threatening to make the server crash. Shortly after the game started the server became unstable as the host suffered a minor DDOS attack.

It pains me that a paying member of the Defcon community would pull a stunt like that. Luckily for those playing, the guy got bored and the server restabilized... but I think it's utter garbage that we have to deal with people of that nature.
AtomicPlayboy
level1
level1

Postby AtomicPlayboy » Sat Oct 21, 2006 10:29 am

Mr. Morden wrote:Yesterday, while readying a game, a spectator repeatedly asked the host to kick a demo player so the spectator could take the slot. When the host refused, the spectator started swearing and threatening to make the server crash. Shortly after the game started the server became unstable as the host suffered a minor DDOS attack.

So learn to trace people to ISP source (start|cmd, then tracert and netstat), then report them.

Or (depending on defcon's network layout) trace them from defcon traffic alone, and port flood them. Or spend a few bucks, hire some botnet, and swamp them.

Now, if the game itself is vulnerable to an even-sided attack, then it doesn't really matter.
KungFuAlex
level2
level2

Postby KungFuAlex » Sat Oct 21, 2006 11:27 am

I have alway met nice people, maby I am just lucky :/
Wasgood
level5
level5

Postby Wasgood » Sat Oct 21, 2006 11:30 am

Michaeru wrote:*sigh* The stupid people never die out. :?

Not if you nuke em'
Michaeru
level1
level1

Postby Michaeru » Sat Oct 21, 2006 12:30 pm

Wasgood wrote:
Michaeru wrote:*sigh* The stupid people never die out. :?

Not if you nuke em'

But then I kill the smart ones as well! :(
shinygerbil
level5
level5
Location: Out, finding my own food. Also, doing the shinyBonsai Manoeuvre(tm)

Postby shinygerbil » Sat Oct 21, 2006 1:27 pm

This is one reason I'd love to see a dedicated server binary soon....
Here is my signature. Make of it what you will.
TheHappyFriar
level2
level2

Postby TheHappyFriar » Sat Oct 21, 2006 2:46 pm

find the ip & report their bad behavior to their isp. I know, it might not worked but i got someone booted from a forum (i assume the net because they've never been back) i admin by their ISP BECAUSE they were disruptative! :D
manni
level1
level1

Postby manni » Sat Oct 21, 2006 3:51 pm

What?! You're giving people troubles in the real world because they are respectless to you ingame?!
Am I the only one who thinks that's totally out of the roof?
Feud
level5
level5

Postby Feud » Sat Oct 21, 2006 3:58 pm

manni wrote:What?! You're giving people troubles in the real world because they are respectless to you ingame?!
Am I the only one who thinks that's totally out of the roof?

I agree, contacting his IPis fine with me, but trying to get revenge by taking the matter into your own hands is a bit over the line.
shinygerbil
level5
level5
Location: Out, finding my own food. Also, doing the shinyBonsai Manoeuvre(tm)

Postby shinygerbil » Sat Oct 21, 2006 3:59 pm

manni wrote:Am I the only one who thinks that's totally out of the roof?

Nope.

Especially as the likely troublemakers would have probably just got their parents' Internet connection banned.

It would teach them a bloody lesson, though ;)
N0ught
level3
level3

Postby N0ught » Sat Oct 21, 2006 4:44 pm

with the rate of the asshole population growth this game is gonna die soon

That never stopped this forum. :lol:

In fact this forum THRIVES on assholes...

What I would say is that it all goes both ways - this guy shuts down the server for whatever reason he may have, and you will also justify any of your own actions, whatever they may be. The issue isn't whether it is right or wrong, but the fact that one person owns the server and the others do not.

Need I remind everybody that the same free will these guys use to be assholes is the same free will YOU can use to not be an asshole?

I have said it time and time again: sheer influence aside, you cannot control other people. All you can do is strive to be a "good" person, according to whatever your particular moral code dictates. This may include, but is not limited to: not eating ham for some people, not eating beef for others, and not eating cat for me. :D

Or you could start a six-player game, wait until almost defcon 3 and pull the plug on the server. Just. For. Fun. :twisted:
Mr. Morden
level1
level1

Postby Mr. Morden » Sat Oct 21, 2006 6:35 pm

AtomicPlayboy wrote:So learn to trace people to ISP source (start|cmd, then tracert and netstat), then report them.

I wasn't hosting so I wasn't going to run a trace. I just figured people would like to hear about some epic-level retardation and/or massive assholeishness which six fellow players had to deal with. Never hurts to be aware that this is going on.

Return to “General”