VANGUARD
level2
level2

NATO classifications for units

Postby VANGUARD » Fri Oct 20, 2006 5:59 pm

Battleship - BB
Carrier - CVN
Submarine - SSBN

Not replacing the names, just putting the designations along side them. This stops people calling them 'BS' or 'AC', which is REALLY annoying>:(
xander
level5
level5

Re: NATO classifications for units

Postby xander » Fri Oct 20, 2006 6:04 pm

VANGUARD wrote:Battleship - BB
Carrier - CVN
Submarine - SSBN

Not replacing the names, just putting the designations along side them. This stops people calling them 'BS' or 'AC', which is REALLY annoying>:(

It may be annoying to you, but we all understand what people mean and most of us don't really care if they say BB or BS -- in fact, I am less confused by BS than BB. This is a game, not a NATO simulation. If you really want it changed that badly, just create a mod, and try to get people to use it.

xander
VANGUARD
level2
level2

Postby VANGUARD » Fri Oct 20, 2006 6:21 pm

How does adding a nato classification - a two-four letter one, at that - to a game already entitled DEFCON with a realistic world map - turn it from a game into a hardcore NATO simulation?

Then again, it would probably lead to people saying 'y r there 2 Bs???' 'I donno maybe it stands 4 BATTLE BOTE LOL', as it usually does.

But meh. I figured this would be the response.
furtim
level2
level2

Postby furtim » Fri Oct 20, 2006 6:40 pm

Why do you hate the Russkies, Vanguard? And the Chinese? And all the other non-NATO navies in the game?
VANGUARD
level2
level2

Postby VANGUARD » Fri Oct 20, 2006 6:43 pm

Yeah, because the rest of the world nuclear powers use the DEFCON system too... not.
xander
level5
level5

Postby xander » Fri Oct 20, 2006 6:45 pm

VANGUARD wrote:Then again, it would probably lead to people saying 'y r there 2 Bs???' 'I donno maybe it stands 4 BATTLE BOTE LOL', as it usually does.

Exactly my point. Again, it is something that could fairly easily be changed via modding. If it bothers you that much, why not create a simple mod that fixes it?

xander
furtim
level2
level2

Postby furtim » Fri Oct 20, 2006 6:46 pm

LOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOL!
VANGUARD
level2
level2

Postby VANGUARD » Fri Oct 20, 2006 6:48 pm

xander wrote:
VANGUARD wrote:Then again, it would probably lead to people saying 'y r there 2 Bs???' 'I donno maybe it stands 4 BATTLE BOTE LOL', as it usually does.

Exactly my point. Again, it is something that could fairly easily be changed via modding. If it bothers you that much, why not create a simple mod that fixes it?

xander

I don't see why that would help at all. Even if it says on my screen 'Battleship - BB', it doesn't stop other people saying 'MOV EUR BS PLZZ'
xander
level5
level5

Postby xander » Fri Oct 20, 2006 6:57 pm

VANGUARD wrote:I don't see why that would help at all. Even if it says on my screen 'Battleship - BB', it doesn't stop other people saying 'MOV EUR BS PLZZ'

It doesn't help unless you get other people to use the mod as well. That was part of what I said when I originally replied.

xander
VANGUARD
level2
level2

Postby VANGUARD » Fri Oct 20, 2006 7:07 pm

Well, exactly.
GeneticFreak
level3
level3

Postby GeneticFreak » Fri Oct 20, 2006 8:56 pm

I say this is all BS...

Just kidding, who cares about acronyms. I called my subs LOL
Blessed be the LORD my strength which teacheth my hands to war and my fingers to fight
torq
level3
level3

Postby torq » Mon Oct 23, 2006 5:58 pm

furtim wrote:Why do you hate the Russkies, Vanguard? And the Chinese? And all the other non-NATO navies in the game?

Not to mention the fact that Leningrad is St.Petersburg now. Either include Kiev, Minsk and half of the Middle East into Russian region to represent the former borders of USSR or rename cities at least...

:lol:
Aspic
level1
level1

Re: NATO classifications for units

Postby Aspic » Tue Oct 24, 2006 8:06 pm

VANGUARD wrote:Battleship - BB
Carrier - CVN
Submarine - SSBN

CVN = Nuclear powered carrier. What about the CVS of UK and Spain?

Also I always saw Battleship as reading "Combatant". A destroyer (DD) could equally do the trick.

All in all seems OK as it is for me, gets over all the national/class funnies.
Kuth
level4
level4

Postby Kuth » Tue Oct 24, 2006 11:23 pm

In my Kinetic mod I added the Designations on the left side of all the unit icons.

...problem is, Defcon reverses many of the unit icons, resulting in...well...yeah...

It would be interesting to have some text follow the unit around that didn't reverse- maybe some random blurb about it's abilities that fades out when the mouse rolls over it. Just some random text here and there that has no function, just something neat.

Return to “Think Tank”