Linux Better?

Anything and Everything about Uplink

Moderators: jelco, bert_the_turtle, Chris, Icepick, Rkiver

malcontent
level1
level1

Postby malcontent » Sat Sep 13, 2003 10:57 am

Has anyone noticed that the Linux version of the game seems to run faster than the Windows version, 1280X1024 runs a bit sluggishly on my system but runs at a perfect speed on Linux?
AnthonyS
level5
level5

Postby AnthonyS » Sat Sep 13, 2003 11:13 am

When I ran Upink on Linux it went WAY slower than on windows!
ToRmEnToR
level5
level5

Postby ToRmEnToR » Sat Sep 13, 2003 11:37 am

strange, games that have been ported to linux should work slower, cuz linux doesnt have directx...
meow
Deepsmeg
level5
level5

Postby Deepsmeg » Sat Sep 13, 2003 11:57 am

Uplink is an OpenGL game, not a DirectX one... ;)
ToRmEnToR
level5
level5

Postby ToRmEnToR » Sat Sep 13, 2003 12:36 pm

3d cards have some directx hingies in them and stuff like that.... oh i dunno :\
meow
andrewas
level4
level4

Postby andrewas » Sat Sep 13, 2003 2:27 pm

They have shaders and stuff that the DX specifications demand.  Theres nothing that says the OpenGL API cant run the basics of the card as fast (or faster), or even the advanced shaders if OpenGL has a specification for access to them. I dont know if it does, but I would be surprised if at least part of the DX featureset wasnt available under openGL.
Sonnybobiche
level3
level3

Postby Sonnybobiche » Sun Sep 14, 2003 5:43 am

Damned if you can find OpenGL drivers for an old ATi card. The newer ones might have 'em, I don't know. I switched to nVidia and have been a believer in them ever since. (Great linux support.)
If at first you don't succeed, skydiving is not for you...
Chronus
level2
level2

Postby Chronus » Sun Sep 14, 2003 6:22 am

Linux, is better, trust me according to a source of mine, windows is a... spyware/copycats(with a few twiks)/unsecured piece of crap. and another thing is Linux puts everything on passive mode when you're working on one program.
Chronus
Three rings for the Elven-kings under the sky, Seven for the Dwarf-lords in thier halls of stone, Nine for the Mortal Men doomed to die, One for the Dark Lord on his dark throne In the land of Mordor where Shadows lie. One Ring to rule them all, O
Stewsburntmonkey
level5
level5

Postby Stewsburntmonkey » Sun Sep 14, 2003 10:26 am

Heh, thats why I get an email several times a week telling me about another security issue with RedHat is it. . .

Anyway it depends on the driver.  Most drivers (appart from nVidia) don't do a good job with OpenGL.  Instead they are streamlined for DirectX exclusively wihich is fine for a lot of games, but is a bit of a cheat I think.  With Linux you could get a custom driver that had muc better OpenGL support than the official driver so you could get an increase in performance.  :)
AnthonyS
level5
level5

Postby AnthonyS » Sun Sep 14, 2003 1:42 pm

Can I just put in: I have an NVidia GeForce 4, and yet Uplink STILL runs slower under Linux for me.....strange.....
Stewsburntmonkey
level5
level5

Postby Stewsburntmonkey » Sun Sep 14, 2003 1:47 pm

Thats because the NVidia drivers for Linux are not all that good.  They need alot of tweaking to get up to speed.  There could be other reason, as well as Windows is tuned for gaming performance in many ways, where are Linux is not, but I don't know how much that affects Uplink.  :)
andrewas
level4
level4

Postby andrewas » Sun Sep 14, 2003 3:40 pm

Quote: from Chronus on 6:22 am on Sep. 14, 2003[br]Linux, is better, trust me according to a source of mine, windows is a... spyware/copycats(with a few twiks)/unsecured piece of crap. and another thing is Linux puts everything on passive mode when you're working on one program.

Linux is better than windows, gaming excepted, and assuming you happen to be able to get quality drivers for your hardware, and that the software you want to run is available under linux, or has an equivalent that you can adapt to. It is not automatialy better just because it has a penguin instead of a window thingy.

And I dont know where your getting that about passive mode, linux backgound execution is probably more efficient than windows, but set the wrong thing to high priority and youll have exactly the same problems in both OSes.
Sonnybobiche
level3
level3

Postby Sonnybobiche » Mon Sep 15, 2003 5:32 am

You do know that linux doesn't ship with OpenGL drivers for nVidia cards, right? Even if you selected your geforce4 during the  installation process, the OpenGL is done in software mode until you get the drivers from nvidia.com...
If at first you don't succeed, skydiving is not for you...
cops2k3
level1
level1

Postby cops2k3 » Mon Sep 15, 2003 10:11 pm

Quote: from Stewsburntmonkey on 1:47 pm on Sep. 14, 2003[br]Thats because the NVidia drivers for Linux are not all that good.  They need alot of tweaking to get up to speed.  There could be other reason, as well as Windows is tuned for gaming performance in many ways, where are Linux is not, but I don't know how much that affects Uplink.  :)

plus is depends on what particular version of linux you have since it is open source.... some are good, some are crap

thing is linux isn't popular enough at the moment - things are generally more optimised for windows

Return to “General”