Anything and Everything about Uplink

Moderators: jelco, bert_the_turtle, Chris, Icepick, Rkiver

prozak
level4
level4

Postby prozak » Tue Sep 02, 2003 5:07 pm

<snip>
bad judgement on my part

(Edited by prozak at 7:45 pm on Sep. 2, 2003)
KillerKebab
level0

Postby KillerKebab » Tue Sep 02, 2003 5:10 pm

Nice one any of them computers connected to the internet?

IP's? :D
prozak
level4
level4

Postby prozak » Tue Sep 02, 2003 5:12 pm

they all are but i cant figure out the ips jsut yet, as i said earlier i have to use them in a surpvised room now. but as soon as i get a chance ill post them here.
bgreene2001
level5
level5

Postby bgreene2001 » Tue Sep 02, 2003 5:38 pm

I'd be very careful about what you do with this.  You shouldn't tell anyone, or use the instructor usernames.  I'd personally find the least technically challenged person in the IT office, and tell them what they are doing wrong.  If you are a senior student (say over 17 or something) and it fits with school policy you might even land a position helping them, or at the least a good reference.

But if you actually do anything, you could get yourself kicked out of the school, and this put on your permenent record.  I'd personally edit that out just in case someone saw it and abused the system.

HTH
I swear Officer, I didn't know she was 4!
My Profile, my mates site, Bloody Mongrel.  Great stuff.
Click here to help me get some free magnets :)  Pleeeease?
NeoThermic
Introversion Staff
Introversion Staff

Postby NeoThermic » Tue Sep 02, 2003 5:39 pm

School computers and secuirty dont go well without a "don't have" inbetween...

I did a synopsis for coursework in year 9 about the networks secruity; I got a level 9 for it and a A. : my overall level was also a 9...

Anyway, if your school network runs RM computers, then I might think about putting up my synopsis document, because it is quite in depth...

Its quite intresting that your network is even less secure than ours [it doesn't even allow right click on ours :P]

NeoThermic
Darksun
level5
level5

Postby Darksun » Tue Sep 02, 2003 5:51 pm

I found quite a few security holes on my school network, but I showed most of them to the head of IT (who was my IT teacher) and he fixed them. He didn't mind, but the IT techs always gave me dirty looks (probably because I knew more about the network than them :cool:)
bgreene2001
level5
level5

Postby bgreene2001 » Tue Sep 02, 2003 5:57 pm

Hehe, I'm lucky where I live... ~150 people on the lan (and that's just people that actively participate in the online community), plenty of gamers, and a practically bulletproof network.  Oh, and broadband too (although we pay 8c per meg (Australian cents, ~5 US cents :P), but we get free bandwidth from studyhall), with a nice firewall/proxy shielding us from all outside connections :)
I swear Officer, I didn't know she was 4!
My Profile, my mates site, Bloody Mongrel.  Great stuff.
Click here to help me get some free magnets :)  Pleeeease?
Agent Rebellion
level2
level2

Postby Agent Rebellion » Tue Sep 02, 2003 6:04 pm

Our computers at my college are an intranet and every student has their own username and password. But you can change any of thsoe from a teacher file. Guess who has one of those. :P
Yours sincerely, an Uplink agent.http://uplink.stewsburntmonkey.comGo and view my profile there......please? lol
Sym33
level2
level2

Postby Sym33 » Tue Sep 02, 2003 6:28 pm

There's almost no way of protecting computers with 98 and stuff unless you're very good, and most schools aren't. The most common ways of getting round them are:

1) VBA or VB, create a program that kills the security process if it's something like that, and edits the policies part in the registry to give you full access. Also create a file browser that allows browsing C drive and stuff too

2) New shortcut, great little thing, type in 'command' and you have all you should need. Other good ones are winpopup or ipconfig and stuff

3) Microsoft Word. Schools tend to not allow the executing of exe files, but just drag an exe file into word and double click it when it's embedded, and up it runs.
Sonnybobiche
level3
level3

Postby Sonnybobiche » Tue Sep 02, 2003 7:04 pm

My school uses ThinClients for computers. We used to have much better ones, but since several students are not technically inclined, many computers kept being damaged. These thinclients are terrible. Imagine a computer running at 50 mhz. Login times run from ten seconds to 30 minutes. Anything you do on them is slowed down. No right click, no nothing. I'm trying to figure out a way to escalate priviliges, but I'm unfortunately under watch because of an 'incident' I was accused of being involved in  (which I was not).
If at first you don't succeed, skydiving is not for you...
Blacklaw
level1
level1

Postby Blacklaw » Tue Sep 02, 2003 7:23 pm

My day job is as the sysadmin for a private school here in Bradford (that's Yorkshire, England for all you overseas chaps and chapesses) proves that you *can* secure Win9x boxen, so long as you know what you're doing.

Thanks to some judicious registry hacking, they're locked down tighter than a Scotsman's wallet (apologies to Scots).

And again, speaking from my point of view as a sysadmin, I can tell you that if I caught you messing around with the security on the computers, I would kick you out so fast your chair would spin for a week. Weak passwords don't always mean weak security - I have one or two accounts with *very* easy to guess passwords (administrator/teacher, for example). But what makes you think they are the *real* accounts? ;)

-Blacklaw, SysAdmin extraordinare.
prozak
level4
level4

Postby prozak » Tue Sep 02, 2003 7:44 pm

i know they are the real accounts becuase in class at my college all the teachers computers are projected on the wall, for instruction purposes, and if you log onto the said instructor login name, you are given access to everything. even teh right click works. and you have access to the networked computers<you can brows/edit/add/copy/etc.. the files on other computers. but with the student logins you are given the ability to see the network but not touch it. in my last class, microcomputer topics. i had a small window when the teacher went to the bathroom, so i logged onto his account found the .bmp he was using for his desktop. wich originally was c:\my document\images\disney\mickey.bmp and changed it to an image i found in his computer c:\my documents\images\personal\dsc012.bmp
and when he turned on his computer and it loaded up on the projector he was quite embarrased. it turns out that our teacher is into beastiality. and everyone got a good veiw of him and his dog. now thats not what i expected it to be at all. and i feel bad now that i have done it. but it provided quite the laugh for the class. tomorow morning before class i think ill take your advice and report the hole to the it guys, and remove the original post.
Blacklaw
level1
level1

Postby Blacklaw » Tue Sep 02, 2003 7:56 pm

And you expect anyone to actually *believe* that, Prozak?

Sure. Whatever. Enjoy. Call me when you've passed puberty, and I'll start reading your posts again.

-Blacklaw
prozak
level4
level4

Postby prozak » Tue Sep 02, 2003 8:03 pm

actually im 19. i know your a sysadmin, and you might take offence to the fact that one of your own got his balls stepped on, doesnt mean that you have to get snotty about it, and i dont actually care if you believe me or not i stopped caring what other people thought in my freshman year of college. and i was always told if you have nothin nice to say, go fuck yourself. or wait was that say nothin at all. well either way its all the same.
Phydaux
level5
level5

Postby Phydaux » Tue Sep 02, 2003 8:22 pm

Heh, I remember back in the day when, me and my friends tried to hack the school computers. This was all before the data protection act, and any school rules about abusing the system. So it wasn't illegal or even a suspendable thing. :)
It wasn't too hard either, (not that I've ever known enough to "hack" into the admin system), the admin password was the system admin's first name :P

Return to “General”