The console wars

Anything and Everything about Uplink

Moderators: jelco, bert_the_turtle, Chris, Icepick, Rkiver

Phaze
level1
level1

Postby Phaze » Wed Jul 16, 2003 10:37 pm

If youve visited my other thread on 'The coolest game ever' you may have seen my post about not wanting to turn it into a console row, so now Im giving you the opportunity.  Enjoy.
If knowledge is power, to be unknown is to be invincible.
Flamekebab
level5
level5

Postby Flamekebab » Wed Jul 16, 2003 10:55 pm

Well - the PS2 is an overated sham and should be destroyed.
The Gamecube isn't great, but is far superior to the PS2 and the Xbox is kinda cool as it has xbox live and some awesome games and also has the best colour scheme and fanciest looking controller. Oh and the fact that some consoles can play DVDs is completely wasted on most people I know as they either have computers with DVD drives or dvd players hooked up to their tvs.
The PC is the best. Oh and the N64 was the best in its time.
andrewas
level4
level4

Postby andrewas » Wed Jul 16, 2003 11:10 pm

I had a long *long* argument not long ago about whether the ZX80 should be considered a console (no real office applications, designed for gaming, no secondary storage worthy of the name) or a computer (QWERTY keyboard, could be made to do anything you wanted given time, could be programmed without spending masses on an SDK).

Assuming I am wrong, the ZX80 is a console and the best one ever in terms of variety of games, quality of games and power compared to the computers of the day.

And if Im right and the ZX80 is a computer, its still the best games platform, but since its not a console Id have to say the SNES.
Stewsburntmonkey
level5
level5

Postby Stewsburntmonkey » Wed Jul 16, 2003 11:20 pm

I would have to throw my lot in with the original NES, rediculous number of games, some great titles, no load times, and that cool gun. . .  :)
monsterror
level1
level1

Postby monsterror » Wed Jul 16, 2003 11:20 pm

OK... First of all... The PC is NOT a console. Second of all... PS2 is MUCH better than Gamecube, as gamecube really has only shown bad graphics and cell shading. (Psh. More like CELda).. And XBOX... Why would ANYONE like it? It's games' controls are inpossible to learn unless you practice for 2 weeks straight, the games arent even worth the money you put into buying the system. Not to mention the fact, that its so clunking huge, you could use it as a couch. Oh, yeah... and it's made by Microsoft =P

Now, PS2... Thats a good system... That has a great color scheme, and best of all a great boot up sequence, That *alone* shows you what the system is capable of.Not even to mention the fact that PS2 has hundreds of games while Gamecube and XBOX have tens.

Ps2 also has a much better selection of games... The graphics dont make a system, The graphics and gameplay of the games do. So far on XBOX, all I've seen are pretty, action games, with no plot. Graphics bring a player in, but bad gameplay and a bad plot drive them away.

I'm done ranting now.
Phaze
level1
level1

Postby Phaze » Wed Jul 16, 2003 11:39 pm

While I agree with monsterror on the PS2 being the best console(and the XBox sucking ass), I think people should be able to express there love of the PC.  It's my bad, I should've said whats the best 'system' not console.  So from now on if you wish to profess your love of the PC (which is my preffered gaming platform) feel free.
System Glitch
level0

Postby System Glitch » Wed Jul 16, 2003 11:42 pm

Gamecube has had some amazing games graphic-wise...such as Metroid Prime! Besides, isn't it the gameplay that makes games great, not graphics? :)
Thats why the SNES is the best system ever, because of Chrono Trigger and Earthbound.  
monsterror
level1
level1

Postby monsterror » Wed Jul 16, 2003 11:44 pm

like I said

'Graphics bring a player in, but bad gameplay and a bad plot drive them away. '
Flamekebab
level5
level5

Postby Flamekebab » Wed Jul 16, 2003 11:48 pm

I saw the original shots of Zelda - before they changed it to being cell shaded, they rocked. I have played on all 3 consoles and can easily say that PS2 was the worst.
Gamecube had quite an easy controller - but not very revolutionary.
The Xbox had an awesome controller - it wasn't easy to use to start with, but it felt like it had so much potential and that if you bothered to learn to use it, it would be an awesome piece of kit - and a large number of friends have confirmed this.
Oh and it's spelt "impossible". I like a big console - I have to say - out of the three I think the Xbox looks the best - oh and the PS2 has a sucky colour scheme.
Sure the Xbox is made by microsoft, but I don't hold that against it as a system. The PS2 has hundereds of games - yes but how many are truly brilliant? Not such a good ratio there.
Of course, it all comes down to taste - what type of controller, price, game types, etc.. But still - the PS2 has some how brainwashed joe public into thinking it is the best console ever..
monsterror
level1
level1

Postby monsterror » Wed Jul 16, 2003 11:53 pm

Actually... I like PS2 becasue of the games and controller build.
Flamekebab
level5
level5

Postby Flamekebab » Wed Jul 16, 2003 11:55 pm

Exactly - it all comes down to taste - I don't mind the controller - but the console sucks and only a few of the games are decent.
Phaze
level1
level1

Postby Phaze » Wed Jul 16, 2003 11:55 pm

(Edited by Phaze at 11:56 pm on July 16, 2003)
monsterror
level1
level1

Postby monsterror » Thu Jul 17, 2003 3:52 am

You know, eventually, I'll find this darn PA comic about XBOX. And you will all laugh. Laugh I say! LAUGH!
monsterror
level1
level1

Postby monsterror » Thu Jul 17, 2003 4:00 am

I finaly found it... now If I could just figure out how to post a pic :\
monsterror
level1
level1

Postby monsterror » Thu Jul 17, 2003 4:01 am

http://www.penny-arcade.com/images/2001/20011128h.gif

(Edited by monsterror at 4:01 am on July 17, 2003)

(Edited by monsterror at 4:02 am on July 17, 2003)

(Edited by monsterror at 4:03 am on July 17, 2003)

Return to “General”