The global view

Discuss your new mods and themes here

Moderator: Defcon moderators

DrFreedom
level1
level1

The global view

Postby DrFreedom » Fri Oct 13, 2006 1:35 am

Is it completly unrealistic to imagine playing defcon, not on a 2d flat rectangle, but rather on a globe. you grab it and spin it like google earth, but everything else pretty much remains the same? biggest benifit being missles fireing to real great circle routes, subs passing throug the artic ocean and possibly, quite possibly, getting to see your nukes up in the sky over the globe? im sure that this would represent a complete change in the entire game... but i cant be the only one seeing this in my head. did the defcon dev's consider this? was it to hard? was it not fun? was it to much graphical madness?

love the game alot. play it often.
DrFreedom
level1
level1

Postby DrFreedom » Fri Oct 13, 2006 1:38 am

and im not talking about the cheesy artic ocean centered view. im talking about the big ass ball of a world on your screen view...slowly rotating with the threat of nuclear menace.
Kuth
level4
level4

Postby Kuth » Fri Oct 13, 2006 3:16 am

That's requiring major changes that would take it past just being Defcon.

It would be an awesome game to see though- to pan out and see nukes arcing over the atmopshere, and to tilt the planet and see everything going on in various places.

However...

This isn't Defcon. Since IV doesn't do sequels (so far), it isn't likely this is going to be implimented.
nvrmor
level0

Postby nvrmor » Fri Oct 13, 2006 9:36 am

Kuth wrote:That's requiring major changes that would take it past just being Defcon.

However...

This isn't Defcon. Since IV doesn't do sequels (so far), it isn't likely this is going to be implimented.

considering which forum this is in, i dont think he's asking for iv to do it.
Kuth
level4
level4

Postby Kuth » Fri Oct 13, 2006 11:12 am

then who then?

IV has the soucecode, and unless you're willing to go in and decipher it yourself, you'll have to go to them for answers.

AND if you use anything resembling Defcon, you'll also have to answer to them, since they hold the copywright.
xander
level5
level5

Postby xander » Fri Oct 13, 2006 4:49 pm

nvrmor wrote:considering which forum this is in, i dont think he's asking for iv to do it.

I get the impression that you think that because this is in the mods forum, that the original poster believes that modders should do this. Unfortunately, a globe is well beyond the ability of modding. You would need source code to do it.

xander
Wired
level0

Postby Wired » Fri Oct 13, 2006 5:26 pm

Seriously though, a globe view wouldn't change the game in any real way, I mean I assume everyone would want it to use the same graphics style and everything.
nvrmor
level0

Postby nvrmor » Fri Oct 13, 2006 6:49 pm

xander wrote:
nvrmor wrote:considering which forum this is in, i dont think he's asking for iv to do it.

I get the impression that you think that because this is in the mods forum, that the original poster believes that modders should do this. Unfortunately, a globe is well beyond the ability of modding. You would need source code to do it.

xander

i get the impression that people think every suggestion for an added feature or gameplay change is an affront to what iv have produced, or a call for them to do it. this is not the case. if you think something like a globular style defcon is beyond modding you would be quite wrong. of course it would help to have iv release something more meaningful than a pre windows 95 theme changer, and if they want the game to have anykind of longevity, and themes and maps alone just wont cut it, than i expect they will release something to help modders create something more meaningful.
xander
level5
level5

Postby xander » Fri Oct 13, 2006 7:39 pm

nvrmor wrote:i get the impression that people think every suggestion for an added feature or gameplay change is an affront to what iv have produced, or a call for them to do it. this is not the case. if you think something like a globular style defcon is beyond modding you would be quite wrong. of course it would help to have iv release something more meaningful than a pre windows 95 theme changer, and if they want the game to have anykind of longevity, and themes and maps alone just wont cut it, than i expect they will release something to help modders create something more meaningful.

Instead of just telling my that I am wrong, why don't you prove it? Based on the way that Defcon is constructed, I don't see any way that a modder could change the map that games are played on into a 3D globe. Anything flat will work, but not a 3D globe. If you think it can be done, show me. I think it would be wicked cool (though I probably wouldn't use it more than once or twice). Until you can prove otherwise, what I said is 100% true.

xander
furtim
level2
level2

Postby furtim » Fri Oct 13, 2006 7:53 pm

Yeah, seriously. The engine is technically 3D, from what I understand, but Defcon doesn't have the view controls for a rotatable globe. Even if they released a pretty hefty SDK, which doesn't seem to be in the cards, you couldn't even turn Defcon back into Darwinia, I wouldn't think, let alone make a globe out of it.
Kinping
level1
level1

Postby Kinping » Fri Oct 13, 2006 8:38 pm

There was a game once like it - kind of - and it was called: GLOBAL DOMINATION.

Has the spinning globe... But graphics and stuff is not up to date with actual computers.
DrFreedom
level1
level1

Postby DrFreedom » Sun Oct 15, 2006 9:54 pm

Yeah, i dont mean it to be any kind of affront or insult. people seem to get really emotional about these issues. it was just more of a thought 'what if'? and i was kind of hoping that someone involved with the game could tell me if they considered it during the development process, and why they decided to go the other way? if it was not considered or brought up at all? i am interested to see what people think the impact on gameplay would really be. consider it more of a thought exercise i suppose. unbunch panties. i love defcon.
DrFreedom
level1
level1

Postby DrFreedom » Sun Oct 15, 2006 9:56 pm

furtim wrote:Yeah, seriously. The engine is technically 3D, from what I understand, but Defcon doesn't have the view controls for a rotatable globe.

that rotating graphical animation on the loading screen of earth, is pretty much exactly what i had in mind.
cleverivan
level1
level1

Postby cleverivan » Mon Oct 16, 2006 1:35 am

If it was possible, it would be quite interesting to see the ICBMs following the arc of the planet but the problem I see is when you wish to target a city on the other side of the world whilst the world was rotating. Maybe the option to change from 2D (for plotting purposes) to 3D (Globe view) to see the action.
xander
level5
level5

Postby xander » Mon Oct 16, 2006 1:44 am

The other problem with a globe is that it would drastically change gameplay. Currently, if you are the USSR, you have to worry about your nukes being intercepted by Europe on their way to North America. On a real globe, this would not be a problem. While there are many people on these boards who would tell you that is a good thing, it would not be Defcon.

xander

Return to “Mod Projects”