General discussion about Defcon

Moderator: Defcon moderators

gerph
level1
level1

Playing in cool places ?

Postby gerph » Fri Oct 13, 2006 8:14 pm

Hiya,

Earlier today a friend of mine was travelling across the country and I was at home - I suggested we fire up a game of Defcon. Now, on the train he's using the wifi which - probably for technical reasons - means that he's actually connected from a host in .se, despite travelling on the main line down from York toward London. Now this might seem a quite cool thing to do - be sitting on a train and playing against someone else in the world - only it's a little too lagged to play, it seems. Before we reached Defcon 2 the connection was dropped.

But it got me thinking... where's the coolest place you can play your network games from ? (and suggestions of 'the freezer' should probably be ignored :-) ). Obviously the coolest would be to play from a proper bunker, but... there must be people actually trying to play this from fun places...
VANGUARD
level2
level2

Postby VANGUARD » Fri Oct 13, 2006 9:35 pm

York to London eh? I live very near York <.<

Coolest place. Aeroplane? Air Force One =p or maybe in an actual submarine... the coolest actual place I can think of is in the pond in he garden, which isn't really cool at all. My house is boring :(
prozachar
level1
level1

Postby prozachar » Fri Oct 13, 2006 9:43 pm

I played a game in my boss's office (with my boss there) during a teleconference earlier this week. Unfortunately, it made my laptop too sluggish to alt-tab to check mail and catch PowerPoint up on the slides, and it also turned it into a frying pan for my crotch, so I had to exit early (I was only playing 1 AI opponent).
Thorontur
level0

Postby Thorontur » Fri Oct 13, 2006 10:01 pm

Go to normandy... Bunkers enough :lol: There are still bunkers left in Belgium too (I live there, so), there is one nearby, 2-3 km from here...

Or something like a big room with the game on a really, really big screen...(and some nerds with a computer in front of them as background figures :P) Like you are fighting a real war.
unseen
level1
level1

Postby unseen » Fri Oct 13, 2006 10:14 pm

Can`t think of anywhere better but here in the house right now... Girfriend has borrowed the work`s projector and I now have a huge-ass wargames style display on the wall for the weekend. :D

Sweet.
On and on, South of Heaven.
gerph
level1
level1

Postby gerph » Fri Oct 13, 2006 10:18 pm

unseen wrote:Can`t think of anywhere better but here in the house right now... Girfriend has borrowed the work`s projector and I now have a huge-ass wargames style display on the wall for the weekend. :D

Sweet.

Grr. Hate you :-)

A friend of mine pointed me to this earlier, which would be rather nice.
djdemo
level1
level1

Postby djdemo » Fri Oct 13, 2006 10:38 pm

VANGUARD wrote:York to London eh? I live very near York <.<

Coolest place. Aeroplane? Air Force One =p or maybe in an actual submarine

Not so cool for us millons of civilians... :o
Krytoss
level1
level1

Postby Krytoss » Fri Oct 13, 2006 11:17 pm

best place ill probably manage is the laundry room in my apartment building
A. Smith
level2
level2

Postby A. Smith » Sat Oct 14, 2006 12:15 am

best place ever would be ina dark room with an ultra-big touchscreen flat on a table... destruction of all human life at the touch of a finger! :D
gerph
level1
level1

Postby gerph » Sat Oct 14, 2006 12:22 am

A. Smith wrote:best place ever would be ina dark room with an ultra-big touchscreen flat on a table... destruction of all human life at the touch of a finger! :D

Hmm... I have a touch panel... and I have a TFT monitor... all I have to do is lie the monitor down and place the touch panel on top. It's so easy it probably ought to be done :-)
thetragicclown
level0

Postby thetragicclown » Sat Oct 14, 2006 12:30 am

How about slap bang in the middle of White Sands Missile Range, the site of the original Trinity Test and birthplace of the Atomic Age? There's even a handy marker you can perch yourself next to.
A. Smith
level2
level2

Postby A. Smith » Sat Oct 14, 2006 12:42 am

gerph wrote:
A. Smith wrote:best place ever would be ina dark room with an ultra-big touchscreen flat on a table... destruction of all human life at the touch of a finger! :D

Hmm... I have a touch panel... and I have a TFT monitor... all I have to do is lie the monitor down and place the touch panel on top. It's so easy it probably ought to be done :-)

do it, and tell us what the results are! its absolutely worth a try.
gerph
level1
level1

Postby gerph » Sat Oct 14, 2006 12:47 am

A. Smith wrote:
gerph wrote:

do it, and tell us what the results are! its absolutely worth a try.

I've just had a quick play around with it. Making the TFT lie flat is tricky 'cos the back's all rounded. I might go and stick it on a bean-bag or something so it doesn't wobble over the desk. I'll dig out the touchscreen tomorrow some time. If I can I'll try to get some photos but my camera does suck. Hey, it's good for a laugh if nothing else!
VANGUARD
level2
level2

Postby VANGUARD » Sat Oct 14, 2006 1:10 am

Haha. That's great. :D
Darksun
level5
level5

Postby Darksun » Sat Oct 14, 2006 3:14 am

Playing in the cabinate war rooms at the Launch Party was pretty cool!

Return to “General”