R there any real life hackers reading this

Anything and Everything about Uplink

Moderators: jelco, bert_the_turtle, Chris, Icepick, Rkiver

trooper
level0

Postby trooper » Sun Dec 29, 2002 4:19 pm

is hacking like uplink
You wanna go to jail or u wanna go home.
sebyg2002
level1
level1

Postby sebyg2002 » Sun Dec 29, 2002 4:20 pm

the OS(operating system) is obviously different but the idea of password crackers and elyptic codes is true as are ip. the general idea is the same and logs also exist!
Freedom is the path to Joy! Freedom is the path to joy! Freedom is the path to joy! Freedom is the path to joy! Freedom is the path to joy! Freedom is the path to joy!
trooper
level0

Postby trooper » Sun Dec 29, 2002 4:27 pm

does that mean your a hacker
You wanna go to jail or u wanna go home.
einstein
level5
level5

Postby einstein » Sun Dec 29, 2002 5:49 pm

elyptic codes are exactly what id call true - more a psuedo based on real encryption.... like md5 and the like...
Jackmn
level5
level5

Postby Jackmn » Sun Dec 29, 2002 6:18 pm

Brute force password crackers are nothing like what you see in the game.
Starfyre
level5
level5

Postby Starfyre » Sun Dec 29, 2002 7:09 pm

Right.

Uplink is Script Cracking. Real hacking involves much more than that, and is usually boring and tedious.

Plus, real life hacking is much harder ;)
bionic sheep
level3
level3

Postby bionic sheep » Sun Dec 29, 2002 8:18 pm

And a lot more time consuming, and, ultimately, pretty boring until you get in.
http://www.weebl.jolt.co.uk/pie.htm Mmmm . . . pie . . .  When come back, bring pie!
einstein
level5
level5

Postby einstein » Sun Dec 29, 2002 11:34 pm

and once your in theres the small matter of doing stuff - :D
dajerk
level3
level3

Postby dajerk » Mon Dec 30, 2002 4:16 am

id rather build security than break it.
#501 to join the forums(under this name), #1795 under the name of Prozak
suaciide
level0

Postby suaciide » Mon Dec 30, 2002 5:17 am

i'd have to agree w/ 'dajerk'.. but when i'm in a bad mood, i like playing with fire...
- suäciide|ediicäus -
bgreene2001
level5
level5

Postby bgreene2001 » Mon Dec 30, 2002 6:41 am

I like playing with fire too.  But what does that have to do with hacking?  (BTW, I have pretty much no hacking knowlege (well, practical knowlege anyway), but I know a bit about network security, thats what I prefer)
I swear Officer, I didn't know she was 4!
My Profile, my mates site, Bloody Mongrel.  Great stuff.
Click here to help me get some free magnets :)  Pleeeease?
RedDawn
level0

Postby RedDawn » Mon Dec 30, 2002 10:40 am

let me add to this that... the software like the brute force hackers do exist... they just don't generally have 10 ghz backing them.... so therefore are a bit slower.. its a bit trickier... if you got time you would get to know the system admin... well... uhmm nm

(Edited by RedDawn at 9:58 am on Dec. 30, 2002)
einstein
level5
level5

Postby einstein » Mon Dec 30, 2002 11:00 am

No RedDawn, the point that was made is that brute crackers dont exist in the way uplink shows them (ie cracking one letter at a time) because that would assume the server is giving a response per letter which is simply not true of real life situations.... real life brute force crackers tend to work on dictionary or systematic methods of trial and error - and they tend (with a good system admin who knows how to make a password) to take forever to crack... alot wiser to bypass the login that to brute force it......!
NeoThermic
Introversion Staff
Introversion Staff

Postby NeoThermic » Mon Dec 30, 2002 12:22 pm

Actualy Einsiten, you half rignt and half wrong.
when it comes to cracking 9x passwords, you dont have to, there is a way round them.  Cracking NT, 2K and XP passwords takes time, as you do have to crack up to 7 of the possible 14 letters in the combination (its a secuirty thing that the first 7 leters encryption is encrypted the same as the last 7 (if there is more than 7 letters).
BUT, hacking open shares across the internet is actualy done one letter at a time. Yes, like Uplink, the server does respond to each letter send, so if the password was hi, the server says no to abcdefg, but yes to h, then you move on to the next letter and try. after the server says yes to that letter, you try the next letter. since this example is only 2 letters long, the third letter starts off with no, telling you that you have the password.

Of course the server doesnt exaclty reply NO and YES, it replies by error code. Also, you must remeber that in real hacking, you have diffrent OS'es and they require diffrent techniques to exploit them.

Yes, I admit, I am a real hacker, but im just that, a hacker, not a cracker, I dont do damage, leave traces of my actions, and I dont take anything, even if it was a list of credit card numbers or whatnot.

Oh, and as a side note, deleting logs on a NT based system [that includes 2K and XP] is slightly similar, you have to know what times you did what, then delete the lines out of the log manualy, but if someone suspects something, this technique is easy to find (so in theroy, its like log deleter version 1).

And as another side note, you can't hack a bank like you can in uplink, unfortunalty bypassers don't exsist :|
ProdigyNIC
level0

Postby ProdigyNIC » Mon Dec 30, 2002 3:42 pm

hacking a bank IS possible, CERTAINLY NOT EASY AND HASN'T BEEN DONE OFTEN, but IS possible. Actually, a bank is more like a LAN, but with several IP's not just one, (duh.) For instance, next time you're at the library, check one of those P.O.S. machines that only let you look for books. it's connected to a local IP, which, is not as easy as 127.0.0.1.

The same is done at a Bank. Trust me I used to work at one. *keep in mind, i myself have never done this, or seen it been done, but everything is possible when it comes to computers*
ProdigyNIC

Return to “General”