Strategic Order

In-depth tactical discussion on how to lose the least

Moderator: Defcon moderators

JonBellew
level0

Strategic Order

Postby JonBellew » Thu Oct 12, 2006 5:13 pm

Quick question If I am in europe and I want to go against AI South America, Where should I place my fleets and what do they need to consist of. My second question is where do I place my radars, silos, airfields. Then how do I detect where the enemys radar, airfields and silo's are. Do I send bombers and fighters from the Carriers to scout inland or what. The next thing I want to know is, once i reach defcon 1 do I wait for an enemy launch detection or do I do a premptive strike with my subs and bombers from my carriers.
xander
level5
level5

Postby xander » Thu Oct 12, 2006 5:24 pm

Those are really questions that are better answered through experimentation, as there is no one correct answer to any of them. Personally, I like small, single-unit-type fleets. I would scout with fighters, and try to hit preemptively as soon as Defcon 1 hits. However, that is just me.

xander
JonBellew
level0

Postby JonBellew » Thu Oct 12, 2006 5:33 pm

Thanx i just keep getting beat because of the silos not on radar. Should I put the radar on the extreme edges of my country?
xander
level5
level5

Postby xander » Thu Oct 12, 2006 5:39 pm

JonBellew wrote:Thanx i just keep getting beat because of the silos not on radar. Should I put the radar on the extreme edges of my country?

I generally do. Your silos can shoot much farther than their own RADAR coverage. If you have RADAR coverage well beyond your silos, you can start shooting stuff down much sooner.

xander
JonBellew
level0

Postby JonBellew » Thu Oct 12, 2006 5:43 pm

now do I hit them with everything i have as soon as I find out where the stuff is or do i sub and bomber launch until I have wiped out most of the silos airbases and radar and then launch icbm's? what do i do to keep the subs from sneakin up on my borders. Is it possible to put fighters and bombers on patrol?
dazDEFCON1
level1
level1

Postby dazDEFCON1 » Thu Oct 12, 2006 6:04 pm

what i do is send all my figterplanes from carriers inland so i know all there silos positions then use maybe half my subs and all my carrier bombers at once to wipe out as many of there silos as i can then wait for them to fire there remaing silos and hit them with my left over subs and bombers then i just use everything i got all at once at there cities

this is only useable if you win the naval battle if you dont then i useually ait for them to fire at me first and try take out there silos then or i just use all my subs and silos at the same time to hit there cities and forget there miltary targets its all about poins in the end

anyway ive never been beat by the CPU so i must be doing something right huh :)
GeneticFreak
level3
level3

Postby GeneticFreak » Thu Oct 12, 2006 6:07 pm

Read the strategy guides posted in this forum, might give you some insights ;)
my guide
GoldenShadow's guide
XF Clohvn's guide
just to name a few

we seriously need one stickied thread to index all our guides...
Blessed be the LORD my strength which teacheth my hands to war and my fingers to fight
DingerX
level1
level1

Postby DingerX » Thu Oct 12, 2006 6:25 pm

How you do it: Put all you battleships as far south in the Atlantic as they'll go. Put subs under them, and carriers behind them.
Find the enemy Atlantic fleet, and destroy it. Have some subs on active sonar to pick up any subs sneaking under. Use the carriers likewise to set up a barrier blocking any subs coming from Central or south america.

When you've wiped out the enemy Atlantic fleet, send the battleships down the coast of South America, using their radar to scan inland a bit. Move the subs into a position off of Sao Paulo.
Set up a beam attack of bombers, starting with your European base, and target Central America and the tip of south America. If you can, set up two big waves. Also give them full fighter coverage from your carriers, and ferry fighters from your airbases to the carriers. When the first wave starts firing its missiles, go "feet dry" with the fighters, and fly over enemy territory, shooting down enemy fighters, and scanning terrain (AD will be too busy with the nukes). With the second wave of bombers, target the enemy's Radar (first) and Silos (Second). Put lots and lots of nukes on each.

When the first wave of bombers lands on the carriers, send them for a second beam attack on the south american radar and silos you've spotted. When they get close to striking, pop off about six submarines' worth of nukes at their air defense (or use only three if you're not seeing much). Again, use carrier-based fighters to cover the bombers, and scout deeper into territory.

Regroup all your bombers, and go for a third strike at remaining defenses. Time some sub nukes with it. About this point, the AI should open his silos anyway. Destroy what you can, and let Europe AD take care of the rest.

Fire your silos and waste all his remaining cities.
Adolf jr
level0

Postby Adolf jr » Fri Oct 13, 2006 5:08 pm

When playing against the Computer just wait until he launched missiles from his silos. The AI will allways do so after a time. Then immediately launch a full scale nuke attack on his silos from your subs nearby his coast, that is 4 to 6 nukes per silo. Immediately after the computer's nuke launch is the best time for an attack because the silos cannot shoot air targets for a few minutes simulation time after they launched nukes.

Of course, don't shoot 4 missiles from one sub but one from four to 6 subs at the same time. After the burst of missiles launched from the subs don't forget to switch the subs back to "passive sonar"-mode. That causes the subs to dive again after they surfaced for missile launch. If you don't do so your subs will be attacked by bombers from the computer's air bases.

Now the computer's air defense is severely damaged and you are able to sucessfully scout the computer's territory by launching lots of fighters from your carriers nearby the coast. Destroy the computer's air bases and his remaining silos with the nukes you have left at the subs and in the silos. After you have completely wiped out the computer's air defense, raid his cities with your bombers from your carriers and air bases.

That's it.

Structure placement in Europe is pretty much the same with every opponent. Because of the small size of Europe you don't have many options anyway. Except that in the case of South America there is no point in placing a silo/radar at Iceland.

Btw, you may easily improve the sea battle capability of your carrier fleet by switching a few of them from fighter to bomber mode. That way they will automatically launch bombers instead of fighters when in combat. Bombers are very effective in sinking carriers, battle ships and surfaced subs. When beginners complain about loosing every sea battle, most of the time it's because they don't know about this feature.
grim
level1
level1

Postby grim » Sat Oct 14, 2006 12:56 am

GeneticFreak wrote:Read the strategy guides posted in this forum, might give you some insights ;)
my guide
GoldenShadow's guide
XF Clohvn's guide
just to name a few

we seriously need one stickied thread to index all our guides...

I'd suggest using the DefconWiki: http://defconwiki.72dpiarmy.com/index.php/Main_Page
You could either link directly to the forums, or copy paste the guide.
MadSeven
level2
level2

Postby MadSeven » Mon Oct 16, 2006 8:36 am

Adolf jr wrote:When playing against the Computer just wait until he launched missiles from his silos. The AI will allways do so after a time. Then immediately launch a full scale nuke attack on his silos from your subs nearby his coast, that is 4 to 6 nukes per silo. Immediately after the computer's nuke launch is the best time for an attack because the silos cannot shoot air targets for a few minutes simulation time after they launched nukes.

Why would you waste so many nukes on defenseless silo's? When an AI opens fire, I usually only target the open silo's, and only with one or two nukes each...
VANGUARD
level2
level2

Postby VANGUARD » Mon Oct 16, 2006 10:02 am

Adolf jr wrote:Structure placement in Europe is pretty much the same with every opponent. Because of the small size of Europe you don't have many options anyway. Except that in the case of South America there is no point in placing a silo/radar at Iceland.

Wrong! Nukes from silos in Mexico and will curve over the USA, and can be intercepted by Iceland/UK placed silos. If you have a silo/RADAR in Iceland, and a silo/RADAR in scotland/ireland respectively, with another one in South England, you can guard extremely well against all nuclear strikes from SA.

Return to “Strategic Air Command”