Post your underground bunker!

General discussion about Defcon

Moderator: Defcon moderators

Spacemonkey
level4
level4

Post your underground bunker!

Postby Spacemonkey » Tue Oct 10, 2006 10:44 am

Deep under the surface of the Earth, I plot the annihilation of mankind, Muhahaha!

Yes, I play too much Defcon.
Michaeru
level1
level1

Postby Michaeru » Tue Oct 10, 2006 11:33 am

That looks small ... I probably couldn't sit in it, let alone fighting a nuclear war in it. :shock:
CatfishXXL
level0

Postby CatfishXXL » Tue Oct 10, 2006 4:41 pm

LOL, very cool.... Definately set's the tone.
KungFuAlex
level2
level2

Postby KungFuAlex » Tue Oct 10, 2006 8:14 pm

Haha, Nice! ;)
Red Dawn
level1
level1

Postby Red Dawn » Tue Oct 10, 2006 8:33 pm

There is a cold war command center at the airport near my house, 2 stories tall with no windows, one door. Goes 6 floors underground.

I wonder if they'd be ok to me holding a LAN tourney there, that would own. They even have the glass targeting map with targets still layed out from the early 70s on it. It's a very freaky place.
MrBunsy
level5
level5

Postby MrBunsy » Tue Oct 10, 2006 8:52 pm

(didn't take the photo, but I have been down there)

Turns out Guildford has an old air raid shelter, enough space for over 1000 people (with unfinished plans to expand up to about 3000)! fascinating place (so interesting to find stuff underneath your own town you didn't know existed!). Fat lot of use against a nuke though, it's in chalk and it's not very deep. But still a bunker!
MattD
level1
level1

Postby MattD » Tue Oct 10, 2006 8:53 pm

Way too small. I prefer a nice sitdown in the room on the laptop at night.
Michaeru
level1
level1

Postby Michaeru » Tue Oct 10, 2006 8:54 pm

Red Dawn wrote:There is a cold war command center at the airport near my house, 2 stories tall with no windows, one door. Goes 6 floors underground.

I wonder if they'd be ok to me holding a LAN tourney there, that would own. They even have the glass targeting map with targets still layed out from the early 70s on it. It's a very freaky place.

That would indeed rule ... I'm a bit jealous, if I would find something in my area, some teenagers would already have broken in, destroyed everything and took a leak on it. :roll:
Feud
level5
level5

Postby Feud » Tue Oct 10, 2006 9:16 pm

Michaeru wrote:
Red Dawn wrote:There is a cold war command center at the airport near my house, 2 stories tall with no windows, one door. Goes 6 floors underground.

That would indeed rule ... I'm a bit jealous, if I would find something in my area, some teenagers would already have broken in, destroyed everything and took a leak on it. :roll:

That's perfect! It gives it the whole breakdown of society feel.
Red Dawn
level1
level1

Postby Red Dawn » Tue Oct 10, 2006 9:30 pm

Michaeru wrote:

I worked at the airport and someone with authorization showed me around. Didn't actually go in deep, just looked around. He told me about the previous capabilities. Stewart Int'l Airport. It's one of the longest runways in the USA, and is a designated shuttle emergency landing field. The AFB is long since gone, but they base C5As for a Nat'l Guard unit there. It's a commercial field now.

A few other facts about it is a miles long pipeline directly to the Hudson river to pipe fuel and water straight in. Also, the old tower was at the top of the hill, with tarmac around in a circle. B-29s and whatever other bombers stationed there were on alert, nose in to the hill all the way around. The thinking being, if a nuke went off, the bombers on one side of the hill would survive. I'm just barely old enough to remember F4s and F15s flying in pairs from time to time.

Return to “General”