Zion Mainframe and others

Anything and Everything about Uplink

Moderators: jelco, bert_the_turtle, Chris, Icepick, Rkiver

elDiablo
level5
level5

Postby elDiablo » Fri Aug 23, 2002 8:03 am

No offense to Zion Mainframe, but he and everyone else is one of the reasons that REALLY veterans of the forum, such as Deepsmeg, have left. I do not mean ppl who have post counts over 80 to say that they r veterans, they're not. At the moment, they are spammers.

Sorry to use you as an example, Zion Mainframe, and this ISN'T another anti-spammer tread, i know it wont work. I know that ppl will spam, but when i logged on this morning - 23rd August, 7:57am (i dont know y i'm up this early, no ;)), i found that Zion Mainframe who "Last Posted" on every forum.

Fine. i've done it before, and hundreds of others have, it's great! find someone topic, put a decent reply to it, and watch as everyone knows ur name.

But, no. Zion Mainframe had put the same message on each forum. a link to his page. that sux. give it up!

At this rate, every veteran will be gone soon. Icepick will just be the mod, he wont post, just look. and when all the newbies have a problem, there isn't gonna be anyone here to help u. in the future, think what ur doing, then think if it's gonna piss lots of ppl off. think is it really worth it?

Again, sorry to use Zion Mainframe as an example, he aint the only one. and if u read this far, thank u for giving a bit of interest, even if it is to flame me.
We dont stop playing cos we get old... We get old cos we stop playing.
Fechizze
level1
level1

Postby Fechizze » Fri Aug 23, 2002 9:00 am

you're absolutly right, and you got my full support
elDiablo
level5
level5

Postby elDiablo » Fri Aug 23, 2002 9:10 am

:) thank u
flapjackboy
level2
level2

Postby flapjackboy » Fri Aug 23, 2002 9:44 am

I see your point about spammers, I believe we need anothe rmod or two to help because Chris is usually busy with the game and Icepick has Modlink to keep busy with (and both Chris & Icepick have their own lifes too ;)). I resent you calling all (or most people) with over 80 posts spammers, I dont think ive ever spammed in my time here, ive just posted new topics and replies, and I dont think im the only one. But ive said it before: I think we need to delete ALL the topics on the forums (except maybe for GIT and ULC etc) and start again :).
kiers
level0

Postby kiers » Fri Aug 23, 2002 9:48 am

Ok, I'm not trying to slate anyone, or get myself barred etc etc etc.

I Agree with everything in this post - this is not the place for self promotion - It's a good point and well raised.

It does leave me slightly concerned over the moderation of the forums. Surely it's the moderators job to make sure that things stay vaguely on topic and that posts using the forums as billboards are removed.

Now, before the moderators delete this post (and my account :D ), I know that everyone is very busy, and the size of the forums make that a thankless task. Just putting in my two pence worth.

As another thought, why not have voting system in place where you vote to boot posts off if you think they're off topic or advertising crap. If, say, 10 people vote a post off, the mods get notifed. Rather than them trawling the forums to find the crap, let the crap find them! Keeps users away from the actual admin side, and frees up the mods time.

As an extension of that, if someone has a certain number (or percentage) of booted posts, their account gets flagged to the mods for possible deactivation

Ok ok ok, I'll get off me soap box now, just thinking out loud really.
flapjackboy
level2
level2

Postby flapjackboy » Fri Aug 23, 2002 10:16 am

Theyre good ideas, and voicing your opinion on things like this (and the game ;)) is what these forums are for :biggrin:.
n3o77
level3
level3

Postby n3o77 » Fri Aug 23, 2002 10:35 am

I hardly ever post here now the whole original community seems to have moved out.
I remember when I first started coming here.....
nevermind...
Phydaux
level5
level5

Postby Phydaux » Fri Aug 23, 2002 10:58 am

Quote: from n3o77 on 10:35 am on Aug. 23, 2002[br]I hardly ever post here now the whole original community seems to have moved out.
I remember when I first started coming here.....
nevermind...
Yep them good ol' days :)
With many people that never show up now, ant they didn't do big "I'm Leaving" threads, because they were so well know that they were noticed not coming. Ah well.
Thinks will hopefully pick up soon.
TheZiGGak
level3
level3

Postby TheZiGGak » Fri Aug 23, 2002 11:42 am

they should add more topics for each page and more replies before it starts a new page for the thread
                  ZiGGa The NiGGa
                You Know The Drill
elDiablo
level5
level5

Postby elDiablo » Fri Aug 23, 2002 3:47 pm

ok, flapjackboy, i wasn't calling everyone with over 80 posts a spammer, HECK! i've got 550 something. i was trying to say that not everyone with over 80 posts (ie, their rank is veteran) is a REALLY veteran - someone who has played the game, deserves respect, and knows what they are doing.

kiers - that's a good idea about making the crap go to the mods... i like it :).

i'm glad there are (no offense meant) newbies to the forum who actually care... thank u.
Zion Mainframe
level1
level1

Postby Zion Mainframe » Sat Aug 24, 2002 1:40 am

Don't feel bad.

I jusst want everyone too visite  the site.

I also got reall board.

Right now, I'm in Vegas.

Be bak on monday

CYA
Listen to Bob Marley

Play diablo2

Return to “General”