Anything and Everything about Uplink

Moderators: jelco, bert_the_turtle, Chris, Icepick, Rkiver

GroovyPigThing
level2
level2

Postby GroovyPigThing » Sun Jul 28, 2002 3:19 am

Solutions to puzzles for Challenge LAN #1 by _GPT_

"That number that people think is really elite. Divide it by 10. Then add 30."
Take the number 1337, which means elite, or leet, in l33tsp33k. divide by 10 and add 30 to get 163.7

"w00t. h3h. 1 4m r34lly l33t. phj33r... Sometimes it is wise to think backwards. Sometimes words speak louder than numbers. Not this time, though... heh. If you are not Fred, please ignore this message."
Take the numbers from the sentence to make a phone number. 00314-343333.

"Get the hell off my terminal or the sysadmin will be called. -ada.g@modlink.com- (modlink.com doesnt exist, by the way.)"
Modlink.com doesn't exist, so remove it from the email address. change the letters of ada.g into numbers corresponding to the alphabet, to get 141.7

"Date: 06.7.02 - 4 eggs, 3 bottles of milk, 2 apples, 3 carrots, 5 bananas, 9 kilograms of flour. You can contact me on 04742-568346, but my computer is usually connected to that :/"
04742-568346 will get you to a pointless place. take the letters from the date and the shopping list, to get 06702-432259.

""The extremely quick brown fox jumps - over the lazy dog." - something's not right..."
This one had a lot of people stumped. Firstly realise that somethings not right. The original sentence is "The quick brown for jumps over the lazy dog." There is no hyphen, or 'extremely'. Next notice that hyphens are usedin phone numbers. Next Think of the clues from the second puzzle. "Sometimes it is wise to think backwards. Sometimes words speak louder than numbers. Not this time, though... heh" This clue applies to THIS puzzle, not the puzzle where it was found, hence 'not this time'. Words are being used for numbers, and you should start at the back. each word is the number of letters it contains, and . is 0, is it is in some faraway languages. For example 'dog' = 3. So go through and get 03434-535593.

"Oh. Ate For Free One. To Ate Free One Free One."
Umm.. if you don't understand you deserve to be shot.

"--- -. . / ..-. --- ..- .-. / . .. --. .... - / .-.-.- / - .-- ---"
This is ONE FOUR EIGHT . TWO in morse code. So 148.2

I hope you had fun attempting this challenge

_GPT_
I obey the law of inverse excuses that demands that the greater the task to be done, the less work to be done prior to beginning the greater task.
Kromak
level1
level1

Postby Kromak » Sun Jul 28, 2002 3:58 am

Damn fox thing... I didn't know there was a clue somewhere else :)

I tried that number, but backwards... 39553... i was close... :)

Edit: By the way... the elite number, I connected trough another... I had to try numbers till I got it, don't remember quite what was it, but it was in the beggining... 14X.X... definitely not 163.7; don't know if it was a bug or something...

It was cool though... i look forward to the next one...

(Edited by Kromak at 4:00 am on July 28, 2002)
There are 10 types of people: Those who understand binary and those who don't.

© 2002 Kromak
GroovyPigThing
level2
level2

Postby GroovyPigThing » Sun Jul 28, 2002 4:11 am

No, that would be 141.7 which is the frequency for the second transmitter. You skipped a section. heh

_GPT_
I obey the law of inverse excuses that demands that the greater the task to be done, the less work to be done prior to beginning the greater task.
Kromak
level1
level1

Postby Kromak » Sun Jul 28, 2002 4:41 am

No wonder I didn't find the Fred clue... je... :P
There are 10 types of people: Those who understand binary and those who don't.

© 2002 Kromak
GroovyPigThing
level2
level2

Postby GroovyPigThing » Sun Jul 28, 2002 9:49 am

bump0r.
flapjackboy
level2
level2

Postby flapjackboy » Sun Jul 28, 2002 10:29 am

WTF!!!!! Im mad now!!!!! i never got that phone number because i didnt put the dash in! i put the area code in brackets like on the connection list, not with a dash in!!!!!!!! ARRRRRRGGGGGGGGG!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! my own fault really, i didnt read the brief (and im now flamerbait) :shocked:
tommy060289
level5
level5

Postby tommy060289 » Sun Jul 28, 2002 11:27 am

I didnt even use the fox thing:)
!toidI ,rorrim eht ni kool

Subliminal (burn) messaging (your) is (friends) awesome!
Gr Moff Matt
level1
level1

Postby Gr Moff Matt » Sun Jul 28, 2002 11:44 am

Yeah well... i didnt get past the elite. I couldnt be arsed
Gairne, AKA Gr Moff Matt
My Defcon Mods
The GoldFish
level5
level5

Postby The GoldFish » Sun Jul 28, 2002 12:23 pm

OH MY GOD! I am amazed ANYONE got that fox riddle with that clue you put on it! I mean... why the hell even mention that "somethings not right." The fact that its not right has nothing to do with anything, and clue that actually tells you what to do is practically at the start :S. At least the other clues made bloody sence. ;) Oh well...

Secondly... after the first transmitter goint to the "think in reverse" clue... its easier to enable the isolation bridge and then go back and unlock the first terminal again, which opens both locks, removing all need to use the modem below it... another "thingumy" type thing :P
-- The GoldFish - member of former GIT and commander in chief of GALLAHAD. You could have done something, but it's been fixed. The end. Also, play bestgameever!
einstein
level5
level5

Postby einstein » Sun Jul 28, 2002 12:36 pm

BTW gpt. in game that morse code looks like all dots altho some are in the middle of the line... hence y i gave up on morse at first then went back to it....  :P
Gr Moff Matt
level1
level1

Postby Gr Moff Matt » Sun Jul 28, 2002 2:53 pm

I did try my best but i didn't want to cheat by trying all the numbers on the Radio trans. i tried numbers such as 175.5, 155.5, 140.0, 180.9 but NEXT TIME MAKE IT EASIER!!! Icepick should only be disapointed in the result if there were not many people competing not that not many people sent in completed!!!
Gairne, AKA Gr Moff Matt

My Defcon Mods
GroovyPigThing
level2
level2

Postby GroovyPigThing » Sun Jul 28, 2002 4:42 pm

i also think that clue about the fox was very hard, but the "something's not right" DID relate to something, it was intended for you to realise that the sentence was wrong and then start thinking why it is wrong, and get closer to the answer. I also think Icepick is a bit stupid to think that because only 13 people finished it, only 13 tried, i am sure lots more of you did. As for the clues being far too hard ... it was a little cryptic, you were supposed to think why the information on that other server was there and think what it could refer to as you went along. That's cryptic clues for ya. ;) Anyway if Icepick doesn't continue the challenge I *MAY* do something similar myself but this is unlikely as it will take too much of my time. If he does continue, I will be happy to still make LANs for him.

_GPT_
The GoldFish
level5
level5

Postby The GoldFish » Sun Jul 28, 2002 4:48 pm

Quote: from GroovyPigThing on 4:42 pm on July 28, 2002[br]i also think that clue about the fox was very hard, but the "something's not right" DID relate to something, it was intended for you to realise that the sentence was wrong and then start thinking why it is wrong, and get closer to the answer
The problem was that it gave me at least the impression I needed to fix the sentance in some way in order to get an answer, not look at it as it was and try and make it fit the reverse phone rule thing. Also I would say that the whole length of a word thing often evades people's ideas, and the full stop = 0 makes it even harder to think about it being a phone # in reverse cause they think of it as 6, or 5 without extremely - 4... which doesnt really inspire much :S. so BOO HOO! I never finished. :(
-- The GoldFish - member of former GIT and commander in chief of GALLAHAD. You could have done something, but it's been fixed. The end. Also, play bestgameever!
GroovyPigThing
level2
level2

Postby GroovyPigThing » Sun Jul 28, 2002 4:52 pm

yes well, that clue WAS cryptic, but obviously solvable, since 13 people got it.
Gr Moff Matt
level1
level1

Postby Gr Moff Matt » Sun Jul 28, 2002 5:05 pm

When i read the answer page i solved most of the other puzzles without reading the answer. It was just the elite thing that slowed me down to a halt! Plus i don't understand valid subnets so i am giong to use the search button. I couldn't get to one of the authentication servers.

[ BUT BY USING SEARCH (NOTE: OTHER NOOB'S) I FOUND OUT HOW!!!!! ]

(Edited by Gr Moff Matt at 6:09 pm on July 28, 2002)
Gairne, AKA Gr Moff Matt

My Defcon Mods

Return to “General”