Game programmers and ....

Anything and Everything about Uplink

Moderators: jelco, bert_the_turtle, Chris, Icepick, Rkiver

Biblin
level2
level2

Postby Biblin » Mon Jul 29, 2002 5:16 pm

irc.dal.net 6667 doesn't work - is this right?
Signatures are for idiots.
Omega Phlux
level3
level3

Postby Omega Phlux » Mon Jul 29, 2002 5:18 pm

I am unfortuinatly not at home.

I am on vacation in KS, and will be home in 2 weeks.

Once I get back I will work as vigorusly as I can to make a good intro.

But I kneed to know what the game will have in it.

Some screen shots of what it may look like will help.

Also the caracters descriptions.

Now i'm off to take a shower, seeya in 30....ish.

Omega Phlux
Only the true hacker can see beyond all of the glamor that comes with hacking  to see why we kneed to knee Mathew Lilliard in the movie "HACKERS" square in the nuts.
lattera
level4
level4

Postby lattera » Mon Jul 29, 2002 5:20 pm

Quote: from AK47 on 8:58 am on July 29, 2002[br]Right , make ajustments where you feel the need.
Is C as powerful as Delphi and can we acheive what we need in c? if this will work under c lets do it as most people here know c.
Tell me your thoughts on this :) ,
ak47.

C is the way to go. You can view my work at http://www.sf.net/projects/webbos

That's my operating system I'm building. I haven't updated the site with the new code, as I don't have the internet at my house currently.

I found a MAJOR flaw with UNIX... The details on that flaw will be uploaded to the news section of http://www.sf.net/projects/webbos within the next two hours.
AK47
level2
level2

Postby AK47 » Mon Jul 29, 2002 5:25 pm

Hmmm,
So is it possible to have the movies and characters (animated) in the program, like the intro movie on startup of the game , at the end the final movie , in the game the image of your selected charater (like the character image in the position of the world map in uplink).
ak47.
31337 H4x0R Fr0m Th4 UK :D
lattera
level4
level4

Postby lattera » Mon Jul 29, 2002 5:26 pm

Yes, if you learn how.
AK47
level2
level2

Postby AK47 » Mon Jul 29, 2002 5:29 pm

Anyone know how to do it?
If not find out , and if your a good c programmer e-mail me or pm me if you want to be the lead progammer..
:) we gotta get crackin on this!
ak47.
im out for now, be back tomorrow!
AK47
level2
level2

Postby AK47 » Mon Jul 29, 2002 8:48 pm

Just to revive this topic and keep you updated.
We need a 'c' programmer , we have a programmer for 'c' under unix but we have nobody to program a windows game.

Any takers for this position (you will require at the very least good knowledge of c).

ak47.
Biblin
level2
level2

Postby Biblin » Mon Jul 29, 2002 9:19 pm

You're going to write it in c?? Eeek.. well good luck, I would have thought some semblence of Object Orientation would be required for this type of game in which case you're looking at C++.  
Omega Phlux
level3
level3

Postby Omega Phlux » Mon Jul 29, 2002 10:48 pm

My cosusin is an ex-hacker.

He is very good with encrypting things.

I'll see if he will help us with the CD protection.

Wish me luck.

Omega Phlux
Only the true hacker can see beyond all of the glamor that comes with hacking  to see why we kneed to knee Mathew Lilliard in the movie "HACKERS" square in the nuts.
DJ Frex
level1
level1

Postby DJ Frex » Mon Jul 29, 2002 10:51 pm

i can do graphics...
-none-
Omega Phlux
level3
level3

Postby Omega Phlux » Mon Jul 29, 2002 10:54 pm

Looks like we have some competion.

I'll still stay strong here.

Omega Phlux
landrocker
level1
level1

Postby landrocker » Tue Jul 30, 2002 3:10 am

Hi again,

Umm, I could be ur lead programmer, but only if it's in Delphi as I am best at that and know enough to be able to figure most things out. I have quite a lot of time on my hands (except when i have homework or hafta get exercise dammit ;) ). Unfortunately, like Biblin I can't do graphics so someone else would hafta do that. I can use DelphiX (sortof) and I think it would be a great tool for our game (It has all sorts of stuff like multiplayer components, etc.) Lately I have been working on networked chat progs in Delphi so I have a bit of Networking stuff that we could add in (my prog etherchat). Delphi can also be compiled for *nix with little trouble, but if we used DelphiX I don't think we could port it without a bit of trouble. I liked that Idea a few pages back about the 3d building and u can control the lifts, fire systems, etc. Also in the game I think you should have a 'LAN' of systems at your disposal. Then you can have a File Server, a Processing Server, etc. and I think you should get to pick where your LAN is located (Your house (free), Colocation(costs abit), Vault(Expensive, takes fbi ages to get to), even a sattilite!).

Anyway, now that Y'all have finished readin this post u should probably rest ur eyes, get a drink, etc.

L8r,
~landrocker~

PS. I think we should have a web designer to make us a webpage and forums so we can discuss ideas, etc there.
ImageThe truth is out there...
All you need is the passwords~landrocker~
Biblin
level2
level2

Postby Biblin » Tue Jul 30, 2002 9:39 am

I wouldn't use directx at all.  Use OpenGL as it has *nix versions.  If you want to add a DirectX version afterwards for windows machines then you can.
Gr Moff Matt
level1
level1

Postby Gr Moff Matt » Tue Jul 30, 2002 9:39 am

I have had a thought. We are forgetting some of the simple stuff. Who we produce a website to keep everyone updated, who will advertise this, who will beta test - i could try. I know at this stage it is not essential but lets get it organised. I could beta test. We could even have our own forum [which i could moderate if none else wants to]! As for the advertising. Make skins and gateways for Uplink (if we r alowed)!
Gairne, AKA Gr Moff Matt
My Defcon Mods
landrocker
level1
level1

Postby landrocker » Tue Jul 30, 2002 10:02 am

Yeah, No DirectX, I can't really use it anyway.

Uh, AK47 have u decided on the language yet (damn it sux livin like exactly 12 hours difference from most ppl here ;) )

~landrocker~
ImageThe truth is out there...
All you need is the passwords~landrocker~

Return to “General”