Deepsmeg
level5
level5

Postby Deepsmeg » Tue Jun 18, 2002 10:37 pm

This hit page 2?!
DrakenDragon
level0

Postby DrakenDragon » Wed Jun 19, 2002 12:48 am

Quote: from Agent Jessica on 10:33 am on June 16, 2002[br]Well, aside from the cardgame thing I mentioned earlier, I also started developing a hacking game with QBasic (I am totally frustrated that I don't have VBasic!!)

With whatever limited skills I have in QBasic, I assembled following theme:

You start out logging into the BladeNet system from you home PC. It asks you for a username, then assigns you a temporary IP (192.168.xx.x), an own FTP server with 10 Megs (upgradeable later) and lets you choose an email address (it has to end with @bladenet.com, though)

('tis is all simulated, you're not connected to the net at all).

Then you start out at your terminal. You can read new email, read the help file, manage your programs AAND (here comes the interesting part) you can browse in a virtual internet (with a set of predefined sites though). This means you will be able to type in the URL and get to that site (yeah, okay, i think it's cool!).
Then you can visit the Dell homepage, for example (simulated, of course), and get an upgrade for your PC, if you got loads of cash ^_'.
There will be 3 shops available, each with different levels of "upgrade power", being:
a) 24 Computing (lowest)
b) Starfire Systems (medium)
c) Dell (truly hardcore, you can install a mainframe as well)

Then you will, of course, be able to create bank accounts aside from your BladeNet account (for a small fee, though; stops you from running around and having accounts everywhere). These banks also offer a variety of other services.
*catch air*
OOkay, then there is the BladeNet homepage and the United Hackers Group (www.uhg.nl, I just HAD to make it Netherlands ;-) from where you can download password crackers and access a virii archive (for a price, of course), read hints, assign people to get passwords for you and read a BBS.

You can attempt to access any place you want, it being Dell itself (not recommended), Sparkasse, Hewlett Packard and all that you have available.

As you progress in the game, more sites become available (not necessarily more powerful ones), and you also receive Emails from private persons (and special offers from the companies).

This sounds like.....dang, what's the name of this REALLY crappy hacking sim....Hacker 1.1? Yes, but since it's in QBASIC, I'll work on the storyline, handling and replayability since it doesn't have any graphics :(

I'm playing it myself, and I must say that aside from all the missing graphics, it's nearly as much fun as Uplink (and I'm a true Uplinker ;-)

The source code will be out in a week, the program in about 2.

It'll be free, and I guess I'll make some add-ons to it too.

Tell me what you think.

wow! that sounds really cool
Trust is a Weakness.
Weakness means Failiure
Therefore, Trust no one
Deepsmeg
level5
level5

Postby Deepsmeg » Wed Jun 19, 2002 12:50 am

Remember one of the things on that big tick box form about quoting? :)
DrakenDragon
level0

Postby DrakenDragon » Wed Jun 19, 2002 12:51 am

Quote: from Deepsmeg on 12:50 am on June 19, 2002[br]Remember one of the things on that big tick box form about quoting? :)

umm nope? :D
Trust is a Weakness.
Weakness means Failiure
Therefore, Trust no one
Luigi300
level5
level5

Postby Luigi300 » Wed Jun 19, 2002 3:40 am

Does the source mean the BAS file? I have QBasic 4.0 and can compile it for you.
Luigi for mod in 2006!
Agent Jessica
level1
level1

Postby Agent Jessica » Wed Jun 19, 2002 11:52 am

Thanks but nothanks...I think I'm able to download a decent compiler myself, thank you ^__^
A sword has two sides, good and evil,
one for protecting, one for killing.
Which side do you use?
Agent Jessica
level1
level1

Postby Agent Jessica » Wed Jun 19, 2002 12:00 pm

GOALS
--------
-transfer the code to VBASIC 6.0, which means a month of work
-make a very cool terminal interface, all steel lined
-perhaps even a 3d environment (Server room/ compuer room) where you can move in
(I know how to do this, trust me ;-)

NEWS
--------
Well, I'm getting VBASIC 6.0 tomorrow, and I have to say, this game is gonna take a huge leap forward, graphics style. I already have some knowledge using 3d engines in programs to create rooms, for example. You could walk around, use a fax machine (for example) and so on and so on.

Then I'm gonna work on a decent Terminal look and a script other than the SLEEP command to simulate loading times (since it can be skipped by using the spacebar).

The Alpha is still going to be DOS, but I started today using VBasic over at the guy's house who will give it to me, and it looks VERY promising.

-Full mouse support
-Music, composed by me on my Yamaha PSR 740 ^_^
(weet!)
-Sounds
-much much much more

I hereby promise that, however long it might take, the full game in its final version will knock you out of your shoes. Because it sure as hell did that to me when I designed the idea.

Wait and see.

-AC
Which side do you use?
n3o77
level3
level3

Postby n3o77 » Wed Jun 19, 2002 12:10 pm

Maybe the terminal could be "Skinnable" ?
Just a thought :)
markos
level0

Postby markos » Wed Jun 19, 2002 12:18 pm

hey jessica i that sounds cool, i can help with the programming, I know vb, delphi and some c
phyreskull
level3
level3

Postby phyreskull » Wed Jun 19, 2002 3:00 pm

If you need any help, <fact type="not boast">I have been proclaimed a VB guru... ask RG or many other people not on the forums...</fact> bugger. I hate it when facts sound like I'm showing off! :( dammit. Anybody know how to fix that bug in Reality v9.6.42?
phyreskull
(Dave Ingram)

Quidquid latine dictum sit altum videteur!
An Uplink DevCD Owner, and proud!
Agent Jessica
level1
level1

Postby Agent Jessica » Wed Jun 19, 2002 3:03 pm

Update to a new version? LOL

Seriously now, I'll be doing it myself because

a) 2 people working on the same project with different coding styles makes the program weird :)
Trust me!

b) I wanna do it myself and learn how to implement all the stuff that's stuck in my head.

Thanks neway!
Which side do you use?
Deepsmeg
level5
level5

Postby Deepsmeg » Wed Jun 19, 2002 5:17 pm

Liokewise, I'm happy to help should you get stuck. the ppl at college think of my as a super dude that could rewrite all of office in 5 minutes (I think they laid it on a bit thick, though) :)
Talyn
level1
level1

Postby Talyn » Wed Jun 19, 2002 5:40 pm

Interesting theme, Jessica :cheesy:.

Truly thought out and *hopefully* well coded.

I look forward to the potential of this new game to the hacking simulation genre.

Talyn
It is not rape if you tell her you love her
james
level1
level1

Postby james » Wed Jun 19, 2002 7:00 pm

Can anyone help me?  When my skill level gets to confident I find that all of the missions become extremely difficult.  If you could give me any advice I would be grateful.
James
Deepsmeg
level5
level5

Postby Deepsmeg » Wed Jun 19, 2002 7:15 pm

Yes. If you put that comment in the hints/tips forum where it belongs rather tahn here. I'm NOT angry at you, it's your first time, i'm just trying to help you and save you aggro in the long run. :)

Return to “General”