A new game by <--- me

Anything and Everything about Uplink

Moderators: jelco, bert_the_turtle, Chris, Icepick, Rkiver

Agent Jessica
level1
level1

Postby Agent Jessica » Sun Jun 16, 2002 10:33 am

Well, aside from the cardgame thing I mentioned earlier, I also started developing a hacking game with QBasic (I am totally frustrated that I don't have VBasic!!)

With whatever limited skills I have in QBasic, I assembled following theme:

You start out logging into the BladeNet system from you home PC. It asks you for a username, then assigns you a temporary IP (192.168.xx.x), an own FTP server with 10 Megs (upgradeable later) and lets you choose an email address (it has to end with @bladenet.com, though)

('tis is all simulated, you're not connected to the net at all).

Then you start out at your terminal. You can read new email, read the help file, manage your programs AAND (here comes the interesting part) you can browse in a virtual internet (with a set of predefined sites though). This means you will be able to type in the URL and get to that site (yeah, okay, i think it's cool!).
Then you can visit the Dell homepage, for example (simulated, of course), and get an upgrade for your PC, if you got loads of cash ^_'.
There will be 3 shops available, each with different levels of "upgrade power", being:
a) 24 Computing (lowest)
b) Starfire Systems (medium)
c) Dell (truly hardcore, you can install a mainframe as well)

Then you will, of course, be able to create bank accounts aside from your BladeNet account (for a small fee, though; stops you from running around and having accounts everywhere). These banks also offer a variety of other services.
*catch air*
OOkay, then there is the BladeNet homepage and the United Hackers Group (www.uhg.nl, I just HAD to make it Netherlands ;-) from where you can download password crackers and access a virii archive (for a price, of course), read hints, assign people to get passwords for you and read a BBS.

You can attempt to access any place you want, it being Dell itself (not recommended), Sparkasse, Hewlett Packard and all that you have available.

As you progress in the game, more sites become available (not necessarily more powerful ones), and you also receive Emails from private persons (and special offers from the companies).

This sounds like.....dang, what's the name of this REALLY crappy hacking sim....Hacker 1.1? Yes, but since it's in QBASIC, I'll work on the storyline, handling and replayability since it doesn't have any graphics :(

I'm playing it myself, and I must say that aside from all the missing graphics, it's nearly as much fun as Uplink (and I'm a true Uplinker ;-)

The source code will be out in a week, the program in about 2.

It'll be free, and I guess I'll make some add-ons to it too.

Tell me what you think.
A sword has two sides, good and evil,
one for protecting, one for killing.
Which side do you use?
Deepsmeg
level5
level5

Postby Deepsmeg » Sun Jun 16, 2002 10:47 am

That sounds KEWL! I'll help you beta-test it if you need/want...
Delateee
level1
level1

Postby Delateee » Sun Jun 16, 2002 11:16 am

COOL -- Keep it going
beware my 1337 skillz
Delateee
level1
level1

Postby Delateee » Sun Jun 16, 2002 11:21 am

you know , In Estonia i know few people who have made a hackers game , but these games are so fu*king
hard and they are boring -- BUT i hope yours will be interesting!
beware my 1337 skillz
There is No Spoon
level3
level3

Postby There is No Spoon » Sun Jun 16, 2002 11:37 am

That sounds great.  It also sounds like you've invested a lot of work into the project, and I'm sure that will show.  I guess I'll continue playing Uplink for two weeks and then I'll check out the newest rival.  Good luck.

p.s.  To add to Deepsmeg's post...  If you want I'm sure you'll find all the beta testers you need by throwing up a single post on this forum.
<snip - signature removed - no reason provided>
einstein
level5
level5

Postby einstein » Sun Jun 16, 2002 11:46 am

Agent Jessica, just one comment before i totally praise your project; if you ever want the game to become commercial, you wanna stay away from *REAL* company names... cause then you have to ask them and pay them money... both of which you dont wanna do.

Okay now on to the good stuff.... Well i thought that your idea for the game is pretty sound! It has obviously been thought through and has some pretty interesting concepts. I hope the coding in QBasic does your idea justice! And, even if it doesnt, im possitive if the game is successful (which if you pull of the idea - IT WILL BE!) you would be able to grow into more powerful languages and thus develop the game further.

Also, if you need another beta tester you have an experienced one right here..... :D Keep up the good work, Agent Jessica! Its bright minds, with new innovative ideas that the games industry need..... not another developer with an idea for a sameold-sameold FPS! (altho i do like to do some fraggin myself!! ;))
Agent Jessica
level1
level1

Postby Agent Jessica » Sun Jun 16, 2002 1:07 pm

Aww, so many nice replies! Thanks!

Well, the program is in Gamma stage (so not even beta!), and so far I have 600 lines of code.......

I must admit, my QBASIC is very limited, and I'd be willing to do it in VBASIC even more!

Yes, the project has been thought through thoroughly (lol), and I like it! But it gets very tireing typing in all the commands, and since there's no pictures, it gets boring after a while.

I'm working on all that currently, and it's certainly not gonna take it up with Uplink (there's no way :),

but if someone is willing to share his copy of VBasic with me (I really don't have 200 Euros) or knows where to download an older, legal version, I'd be very very very happy ^________^

(Basically, the virtual internet is based on IF THEN operators right now....kinda lame : (

IF url$ = "http://www.dell.co.uk" THEN
                       GOTO dellsys

aaand so on.....so you see, my knowledge is....expandable.

Once again, I'm working on it heavily and the code will be refined at least 10 times before it's into Beta stages....it's HARD ^-^ but fun!

I'll be opening a site for it soon, maybe with a "job opening" for Gamma Testers lol!
And I'll certainly be accepting outside help when I'll find a way to do it in VBasic...and then, Introversion, be afraid. Be very afraid.
MWHAHAHAHAHAHAHA! *manic laugh*

Seeyaz!
Which side do you use?
Deepsmeg
level5
level5

Postby Deepsmeg » Sun Jun 16, 2002 1:11 pm

alpha is the one before beta... ;)

you could try select case:
SELECT CASE URL$
CASE "http://www.microsoft.com"
 Goto MS
CASE "http://www.dell.com"
 Goto DELL
CASE "http://www.smegheads.com"
 Goto DS
CASE ELSE
 Goto Err404
END SELECT

A bit neater...

--Deepsmeg
Agent Jessica
level1
level1

Postby Agent Jessica » Sun Jun 16, 2002 7:39 pm

*clamps wrist* Oh...okay.

Thanks for the hint.
Which side do you use?
MarcusHess2
level5
level5

Postby MarcusHess2 » Sun Jun 16, 2002 7:48 pm

I'll beta-test! Or alpha-test! Or <insert random Latin letter here> test!
All of these sigs have been created in part by me! yay!
Agent Jessica
level1
level1

Postby Agent Jessica » Sun Jun 16, 2002 9:24 pm

I'll keep posting the progress and current tasks here:

GOALS
--------
-integrate the first mission (beginning of the storyline)
-make a working mail server
-replace all the If THENS with the CASE integers (done)
-work on mouse support

NEWS
-------
All the IF THENS have been replaced with CASE (thanks, DeepSmeg!)
Mission plans have been developed...you will get the choice of working with or against the storyline...you'll see.
A command to view your bank account has been created (if you enter b (for bank) at any input line, it'll pop up your current balance on all accounts)
I'll also take up ideas, as long as they're manageable in QBASIC.

Seeya!
Which side do you use?
Testicle
level1
level1

Postby Testicle » Sun Jun 16, 2002 9:34 pm

sounds nice and sounds like you've been busy.

i know how it feels its frustrating isnt it? working all those hours on the game. anyway gald you are in final stages.

i myself *used* to create my own games too, in pascal though. i cant really compare the languages so i dont know how... did you say qbasic? i have no idea how you can work with that, seems a nightmare.

anyway if you can execute outside files (other .exe's) and need help i can create parts of your program if you want.

summer holiday begins in a week and all my final exams except computers are over!

which reminds me the final exam in computer sciences is to create a game where you play against the computer and it uses a really different language called Scheme(functional programming, the opposite of procedural programming but has advantages). its pretty much ready to be shown if anyone wants to pm me - only thing problematic is the ai, it will defeat the regular unthinking player but if someone thinks hard enough or gets lucky he can make the computer screw itself.
einstein
level5
level5

Postby einstein » Sun Jun 16, 2002 9:37 pm

Latin? Guess u mean greek! :P
The GoldFish
level5
level5

Postby The GoldFish » Sun Jun 16, 2002 9:39 pm

Oh, that humor will be the omega of you, you should stop it, and alpha yourself a new life in, er, swedan... ;)

Or be attacked by Tie Fighters... :)
-- The GoldFish - member of former GIT and commander in chief of GALLAHAD. You could have done something, but it's been fixed. The end. Also, play bestgameever!
MarcusHess2
level5
level5

Postby MarcusHess2 » Sun Jun 16, 2002 9:39 pm

Latin, Greek, what's the difference? They're both nice, good-sounding, completely incomprehendable languages. :)

All of these sigs have been created in part by me! yay!

Return to “General”