Gamebible question - SPOILERS, but not really...

Anything and Everything about Uplink

Moderators: jelco, bert_the_turtle, Chris, Icepick, Rkiver

Thursday
level0

Postby Thursday » Mon Apr 22, 2002 3:08 pm

Hello, all…

I’m trying to get into the first gamebible, but am having some trouble.  I downloaded a handy hex editor program and did all the password-cracking dirty work, but now can’t figure out how to enter the password.

When I clicked on the .zip file, I was expecting a prompt to enter the password.  But instead, I just get an “unable to unzip” message.  *I don’t have WinZip*; I have a different zip program (can’t remember the name off-hand; sorry); could this be my problem?  Should I download WinZip and give it a try?  Or do I need to enter the password somewhere else (in-game, perhaps?)

Any help would be appreciated…  Thx!
Nentash
level4
level4

Postby Nentash » Mon Apr 22, 2002 4:50 pm

yes you have to download winzip because its a winzip fil, its not that big and its quite useful for most things and no you dont put it in on the game you just open it with winzip
Huasca!
Thursday
level0

Postby Thursday » Mon Apr 22, 2002 4:57 pm

Grrr...  What a hassle.  I love the zip/unzip program that I have, but WinZip automatically becomes the default zip/unzip program when you install it (IIRC).  So, I have to install WinZip, do the gamebible, then uninstall WinZip...  (?)

I checked, BTW; I use the latest version of PKUnzip right now; it's great (except when unzipping gamebibles, apparently).

;)
einstein
level5
level5

Postby einstein » Mon Apr 22, 2002 7:00 pm

Actually, WinZIP prompts u to associate it with archive files... so u dont have to... and even if the newest version does auto-associate surely it aint too much hassle to change it bak.... and as Nentash says winzip is handy.
Thursday
level0

Postby Thursday » Mon Apr 22, 2002 7:43 pm

Okay, cool...  I'll download it tonight...  At last, I'll finally find out what I've been missing...

Thx, everyone...
Icepick
level5
level5

Postby Icepick » Mon Apr 22, 2002 8:30 pm

I personally dont like winzip, especially when you cant directly see the contents of the zip. I prefer winRAR. Plus, RAR files have better compression and are more stable :)
einstein
level5
level5

Postby einstein » Mon Apr 22, 2002 9:02 pm

Icepick is biased against zips! :P His mail server corrupts ones that are over a certain size.... altho i cant dispute that RAR is betta cause basically it is!!! ;)
Thursday
level0

Postby Thursday » Mon Apr 22, 2002 10:17 pm

Quote: from Icepick on 8:30 pm on April 22, 2002[br]I personally dont like winzip, especially when you cant directly see the contents of the zip. I prefer winRAR. Plus, RAR files have better compression and are more stable :)

That's exactly why I don't like WinZip as well...  Oh bother, it looks like I'll have to suck it up and get it anyway for now...
Psychotic_Dude
level1
level1

Postby Psychotic_Dude » Mon Jun 17, 2002 6:55 pm

Eh.... I use winace, but I prefer winrar also. BTW why do all the unrar, unace, unzip programs look a bit the same? :)
You compromised 17 high security systems
You destroyed 35 computers
You ruined the lives of 90 people
Deepsmeg
level5
level5

Postby Deepsmeg » Mon Jun 17, 2002 9:31 pm

easier to go from one to another?
All made by the same guy?
They steal code from each other?
The penguins design the interfaces?
Spectere_uplink
level4
level4

Postby Spectere_uplink » Tue Jun 18, 2002 5:09 am

I like WinRAR the most overall.  WinZip is too "simple" and doesn't support RARs (hehe), and WinACE's interface looks like it was scrapped together in some places (though it's normally okay).

I keep PKZIP and ACE (DOS versions) in my environment paths for batch extraction, and for handling that odd ACE file that I sometimes come across, and I use WinRAR for everything else.

I prefer ACE to RAR, because they both have similar compression rates, but ACE is much faster at compression/decompression.  ZIP kind of sucks compared to the two, really... ;)
.what.
Astromarine
level2
level2

Postby Astromarine » Tue Jun 18, 2002 8:38 am

.tar.gz 4eva :))

Return to “General”