Hypocrites

Anything and Everything about Uplink

Moderators: jelco, bert_the_turtle, Chris, Icepick, Rkiver

Zhark
level1
level1

Postby Zhark » Fri Apr 19, 2002 9:41 am

Well... Let's see if I can contribute a little to this topic (normally, I stay away from warez threads, but why not? Just this once...)

I do not do warez... Not anymore that is.
It takes a little realising, but copying/warezing programs is really stealing, no matter how big and rich the company might be.
The normal rule for the real world is: "If you can't pay for something, you can't have it!".. This one is easy to obey, since you can't just stuff real things into a duplicator and ZAP! You have a copy. If you could do that, people would be duplicating things illegally just as much as it is done in the computer world.
I don't have a cellular phone, for the reason that I don't want to pay for it or the abonnement. I don't have a car because, as a poor student, I can't afford it yet.

In the computer world, you can suddenly copy products with the click of a mouse.. Therefore, the phrase: "If I can't afford it, I'll just copy it!" came into existance. And even worse: "If I wont buy it for some reason, I'll just copy it too!". It took a little brainwashing (D'oh! ...Eer, I mean.. Learning! ;)) on my part before I really began to understand this.. That copying a program is a crime in the lines of stealing something, no matter how big, cruel and evil the company might be, it's still stealing. But because it is so easy and convenient, most people don't see how it could be that bad a thing to do... In the real world, it's hard and inconvenient for most people to steal, let's say, a $1.000 product (like a television). In the computer world, the same action can be done by the click of a mouse (regardless of the price and value of the product), and sometimes you even get help from the one that bought it in the first place.. Because he wont lose the product himself by just copying it.

First think about the things I've been saying, and then: It may seem like a hard thing to do, but try getting rid of all the warez you have, then proceed by buying things you like, and just stay away from things you can't afford or wont buy. You'll suddenly find yourself a lot more satisfied and happy with the few programs you _own_ and bought than with the many many warez things you may have had before. So there is a personal bonus in it too.

And if you happen to attend to net-parties, you'll also know that however small the risk might be, it is there.. The risk of the authorities making a little razzia. If they do that, you can have them look through your PC without them having the slightest chance of finding _anything_ illegal, simply because you don't have anything like that :) And you can sit there with a little grin inside of yourself knowing that most of the others wont be that lucky..

Sorry to say it, but I agree with CantHack in the phrase: "Theft is theft."

It is not impossible to stop warezing at all as some may think, you should all try it, it's fun, really! :biggrin:
Linux zealot of the Uplink forums.
- I can say many nice things about Linux... Remember though, that zealots are not known to be 100% trustworthy...
- Palle 'Absent' Raabjerg
bgreene2001
level5
level5

Postby bgreene2001 » Fri Apr 19, 2002 10:07 am

Just to clarify my point of view, I would only warez say things like Windows... I don't actually want it enough to pay what Microsoft is charging, but then, I don't actually want it enough to warez it either :)

My point is that, while it is wrong to pirate, or steal anything, it is worse to steal from small companys like Introversion.

(Edited by bgreene2001 at 8:11 pm on April 19, 2002)
I swear Officer, I didn't know she was 4!
My Profile, my mates site, Bloody Mongrel.  Great stuff.
Click here to help me get some free magnets :)  Pleeeease?
Overwatch
level1
level1

Postby Overwatch » Fri Apr 19, 2002 1:20 pm

Hi, I'm back from hiatus, and I thought this would be a good place to start. First and foremost, everyone please remember that I'm a bit of a fanatic, and that this subject is something of a raw nerve, so if I go over the top, please cut me some slack until I can cool off and come back to edit the worst excesses out again.

(rant)

First of all, I agree that theft is theft. It's not right, or clever, or anything else good. It may come under extenuating circumstances, sometimes, but it's still wrong. Given a good enough reason, I agree it may be the lesser of two evils, however. Therefore, hands up everyone who needs their "warez" to keep their beloved parent/sibling/life-partner/pet from dying in a slow and agonisingly painful way, and I'll admit that you deserve a degree of amnesty. The rest of the warez community is, it appears, a pack of freeloading parasites - and I, for one, am sick and tired of paying the artificially spiked prices many game developers charge on the grounds of piracy. (I'm not saying that it is, or isnt, true, i'm saying that the less piracy there is, the less excuse they have to overcharge me.)

So, theft is theft, plain and simple. I regularly try and keep records of warezers, on the grounds that I have yet to find someone whos stolen software is saving the aforementioned parent/sibling/etc. These records are, of course, passed on to the appropriate authorities.

It seems that warezing is a crime of apathy - the perpetrators can't be bothered to pay for something they can get for free, many ISPs don't care that warez or links to warez is hosted on their sites, and the online community does not make the effort to police itself. Remember, all it takes for evil to triumph is for good people to do nothing. And everyone can make a difference.

Finally, I see a lot of Microsoft bashing on here. I admit that they may not be flavour of the month, but I use a double-boot Windows/Linux box, and I tend to use MS Office for serious work. I say that for all its flaws and idiosyncracies, Microsoft has made a unified suite of programs which work well together. And if they're so evil and soulless, why are they sponsoring the NSPCC's current run of adverts? Just a thought...

(/rant)

Thanks for listening, folks...

Overwatch
I'll have one of those, one of those, and Ooohh!! Two of those!!
<Toymeister>
bgreene2001
level5
level5

Postby bgreene2001 » Fri Apr 19, 2002 1:24 pm

1. I agree thas MS bashing is fun, and most of the time they don't deserve some of the cr@p they get.
2. So by piraters artificially inflating pricers, Warezers are actually stealing from honest gamers.  Shame on you.
3. lol
Overwatch
level1
level1

Postby Overwatch » Fri Apr 19, 2002 1:30 pm

Pretty much the way it goes - Warezers gouge companies, companies gouge me, I sit under my scrap of tarpaulin in the rain and try to work out whether I prefer eating or having honour... lol

And if you want a really evil company, try Ubersoft (C/O "helpdesk", a comic on keenspot). I promise, you'll never feel so glad that MS isn't run by an evil extradimensional creature who is followed around by the word "BOSS", written in letters of fire...

Sorry about the rant,

Overwatch
<Toymeister>
bgreene2001
level5
level5

Postby bgreene2001 » Fri Apr 19, 2002 1:35 pm

Can you be sure it isn't?
Overwatch
level1
level1

Postby Overwatch » Fri Apr 19, 2002 1:38 pm

If it is, either Bill Gates is a puppet ruler (not impossible) or they have security-men hide the letters at conferences... Thinking about it, it would explain why he's always being followed round by bodyguards carrying buckets of sand... Hmm...

Overwatch
<Toymeister>
bgreene2001
level5
level5

Postby bgreene2001 » Fri Apr 19, 2002 1:40 pm

So I guess the only question left is, conspiracy or satanic worship?
Overwatch
level1
level1

Postby Overwatch » Fri Apr 19, 2002 1:42 pm

Why "or"? Can't we have both? Pleeeeeeze?? We'll be your friend...

Ow
<Toymeister>
bgreene2001
level5
level5

Postby bgreene2001 » Fri Apr 19, 2002 1:44 pm

You don't mean...Conspiracy against satanic worshippers.  Thats just wrong.  I should be able to sacrifice goats and small childr...

I mean yes, you can have that if you want.
Overwatch
level1
level1

Postby Overwatch » Fri Apr 19, 2002 1:54 pm

It's inhumane! When was the last time you saw goats and small children sacrificing satan worshippers, eh? It's unfair... unless... what if the small children and goats just hide the evidence better... I'm scared now...

Gulp...

There's a baby in a pram outside my window... I'M DOOMED!! THEY'RE COMING TO GET ME!!! No, wait, its mother has come out of the shop... NO!! DON'T GO NEAR IT!!!   EEEEYYYYAAAGGHHHHH!!!!!!

Flee, while you still can - the goat-mounted hordes of the homicidal children are coming!!!

Or perhaps I should lay off the hallucinogenic levels of caffeine in my coffee and stop listening to "War Child" on my CD player...

Ow
<Toymeister>
elDiablo
level5
level5

Postby elDiablo » Fri Apr 19, 2002 1:56 pm

Yes. Drink only water. Listen only to trance-repeating-stuff. Make individuality non-existant. Join us....

Or not, as the case might be (I personally dont like trance - if you do that's your choice and I (might)respect it - :))
We dont stop playing cos we get old... We get old cos we stop playing.

Return to “General”