When the hell are the bugs gonna be patched?

Anything and Everything about Uplink

Moderators: jelco, bert_the_turtle, Chris, Icepick, Rkiver

Nicademus1
level0

Postby Nicademus1 » Sat Feb 02, 2002 12:36 am

Look, I'm looking forward to new features just as much as anyone else. But its been MONTHS since I bought the game and I still have to worry about it crashing the first time after I try to log back into a new char. I mean this isn't a minor bug, of which there are many others, this is a damn fatal flaw thats happening on the order of 20%.

Wait as long as you want to fix crap like the map crash bug. But could you at least release a mini-patch that fixes the huge gaping problems.

Its been long enough.
Ravenshadow
level2
level2

Postby Ravenshadow » Sat Feb 02, 2002 2:05 am

Calm down, take a deep breath, back off a few paces and look at things calmy.
Swearing and cursing Introversion isn't going to get you or any one else any where. The patches WILL be released, the bugs WILL be fixed, though all in good time. There are only four of them for godsake... They are not mirical workers - although by some of the postings upon these boards people want them to be mirical workers.

I can see, in a way, why they are doing things as they are ... The game IS playable - I know this since I've been able to play it for hours upon hours without any  problems what so ever. Yes, sometimes it crashes, yes, it has problems, and yes those problems will be fixed.
Though Introversion wish to reward the loyal fans with the Bonus disk first - since these are the people who have stuck it out with the game and helped bring more people into the community.

Once the bonus disk is out, they said that they will bring out some patches for bug fixes and the likes. Give them that time. Four people can't work miricals as quickly as a large company can (who, in some cases, make more mistakes and piss more people off than this small, four person company who have this one game).

Relax.
It will happen.
Just let them do things their way.
Things will happen, though they will just happen slower than the more known, larger companies since Introversion has fewer people (again, four) to do this work.
~ They can not catch us all ...
Sonnybobiche
level3
level3

Postby Sonnybobiche » Sat Feb 02, 2002 5:56 am

Umm... Ravenshadow... It's spelled M-I-R-A-C-L-E. No offense intended at all. Just meant to be informative... (I hate it when I correct people, 'cause then they hate me.)
If at first you don't succeed, skydiving is not for you...
Old Wolf
level0

Postby Old Wolf » Sat Feb 02, 2002 7:41 am

{Back on topic}

And that is IF the big publisher cares enough to give a patch...
Ravenshadow
level2
level2

Postby Ravenshadow » Sat Feb 02, 2002 4:16 pm

Sonnybobiche :
To be honest ... I really don't care about my spelling in this frame of mind. So, I would not bother correcting my spelling (grammer or posts) at this time.

Old Wolf :
I could not agree with you more there ... Some companies just don't care - at least Introversion does care and listen to their players. How many game companies can people really say do that?
~ They can not catch us all ...
Nicademus1
level0

Postby Nicademus1 » Sun Feb 03, 2002 9:22 am

You are all delusional. Look its great and all that introversion CARES. But personally I'd rather deal with an absolute dick that produces results than have a happy happy joy joy love fest with a company that is MONTHS behind on critical bug patches.

I understand he wants to perfect the game, but howabout he gives us a working version of it first.
stevemelend66
level0

Postby stevemelend66 » Sun Feb 03, 2002 11:13 am

He's right. Waiting for the bonus disk is ok and all, but a bug is a bug.  Shit like that needs to be patched asap.  Making the bonus disk should be the next priority.  They release the patch for some of the crashing bugs in october, but people still crash like all hell.  I could understand if the crash was extremely rare and you had to do some outrageous thing for it to occur, but the the fact is that crashes happen often and you dont even have to do things in a specific order.  It is there.  Just some bug in the code.  Even if it is 4 people, looking into a few lines of code and making the proper adjustments is necessary to do.  I cant even finish the Revelation part of the game because it crashes on one of my files.  I dont like to keep making new files every time a crash bug pops up.   So, that is that.  There is no real excuse for waiting up 4 months almost to release a second patch.  When a bug like this is present, there is no reason to wait this long to patch it.  The bonus disc can be held off for a few days while patches are put out to fix the real problems... I have waited this long for the bonus disc and can wait longer.  What I want right now is a stinking patch.
Jabberwocky
level3
level3

Postby Jabberwocky » Sun Feb 03, 2002 6:31 pm

Hm.

Have you ever coded?

Have you ever made a piece of software?

Have you ever worked for a professional software house?

4 people is not a lot of people. Espically if they arent doing this with all their time. I dont think they can make a living off of doing this, so they probably have other jobs.

So you're asking for better, faster, cheaper results from a 4 man part-time development team? You're living in a dream.

9 thousand lines of code is really nothing to sneer at. Espically when you get into different systems and their idiosyncracities. Different OS's.

I still havent seen these "crashes". Maybe you should try this-

Run the Uplink shortcut without any extensions.

Thats what I've been doing, and I havent been getting any crashes. Weird, huh.

Either that, or my piece of shit Athlon happens to be a paragon of stability.
There is always free cheese in a mousetrap.
stevemelend66
level0

Postby stevemelend66 » Sun Feb 03, 2002 10:29 pm

ERRRHMMMM... Clearing my throat.
LOOK! IF YOU PAY FOR SOFTWARE, THEN THERE ARE CERTAIN EXPECTATIONS WHICH SHOULD BE MET.  I could understand if it was a free download on their website, you know, like a freeware game, but I bought it and it should be patched.  Too many people buy software and dont get bugs patched.  If 4 people wanted to make the game and sell the game, then when there is a problem, you must patch the game.  Nuff said.  By the way... I do code in c++ and i know it can be a pain in the ass when you have thousands of lines of code.  
Adios Pendaho!
GABRON!
PATO SUSYO
Jabberwocky
level3
level3

Postby Jabberwocky » Sun Feb 03, 2002 10:53 pm

Where are these expectations written? Please show me.

You know, part of this system is, if you dont like the way a company is doing buisness, you dont do buisness with them and take it elsewhere.

Dont like the comapny? Buy a hacking game from someone else.

Wait, cant do that? Make your own.

Wait, cant do that? Um...
Icepick
level5
level5

Postby Icepick » Mon Feb 04, 2002 1:39 am

I was trying to stay out of this thread, but its no use, i cant do it.
Its like Jabberwocky says, if you dont like it, dont play it, its hardly like you spent your entire lifes savings on the game. If you wanna bitch about a game not getting patched, why dont you go and bitch at a big multimillion dollar company that has the man power to produce patches quickly and still doesnt do it.
Introversion is a small, 4 man company, with alot to do, and you dont make their job easier by ranting about it.
ROBOJesus
level1
level1

Postby ROBOJesus » Mon Feb 04, 2002 2:17 am

I don't find the game that unstable. I have a super-buggy computer (really should reinstall windrows one of these days), but uplink works pretty well. If it crashes constantly try playing it in safe mode.
ROBO-Jesus
"Part Man. Part Machine. ALL MESSIAH!"
Latch
level3
level3

Postby Latch » Mon Feb 04, 2002 2:59 am

As an avid gamer and a part time university student, I feel that games should be good in quality. However, I don't understand why people have to search for every possible bug in the game and then complain about it.

Uplink is a great game, and you can't blame the developers for making a bugless game. Sure they have massive typos, strange crashes sometimes, but its a good game if you actually look for the silver lining. Their hard work and dedication shouldn't be flamed because of every single tiny bug in the game.

They also have been promising a patch for awhile, and I can wait for it (like I have something better to do). They read the forums and check the boards and see what people want added/fixed, you have to respect that.

Most multinational corporations that produce/publish games don't give two...rubles about customer support, you purchase the game for fifty dollars, then you don't see a patch for a good three-four months. They have a whole nest of developers, but as soon as they're done, they consider it a "finished" project and tag on a skeleton crew for cleanup and customer support while moving the main designers over to another project, via marketing strategy (crank out the most games, see what attracts, sell more clones of that).

So I'm ranting again, too many flames about Uplink, this post probably doesn't make too much sense, but I'm eating pretzels and having a Pepsi right now, so I don't expect to be coherent.

And Jabberwocky, I'll pay 500 Rubles for that Athlon!
Jabberwocky
level3
level3

Postby Jabberwocky » Mon Feb 04, 2002 3:03 am

This Athlon?

No, you want the athlon in the server...

Yes, an Athlon server...
kyuzo
level0

Postby kyuzo » Mon Feb 04, 2002 3:31 am

I have to agree with Ravenshadow, Jabberwocky, and Icepick on this.  You didn't have to buy a game from a small company that has no past.  You chose to spend your money on a game from someone you had never heard of, so just be patient.

I have not had any problems with the game crashing at all.  The only problem I had is that I didn't know you had to run chmod on the linux executable.  *shrugs*  But I found the answer here on the BB so all was good.

I am just glad that small companies like this can still pop-up now and then.
Cheers!

Return to “General”