Uncatchable Gateway

Anything and Everything about Uplink

Moderators: jelco, bert_the_turtle, Chris, Icepick, Rkiver

Roxxor2001
level0

Postby Roxxor2001 » Mon Jan 21, 2002 7:48 am

Im still somewhat of a newbie in Uplink, but I bought the gateway the says "With this gateway, you cannot be caught" or something like that. So far, in destroying several corporations, I've had no problems. I want to ask here if you can still be caught before I go trying to hack the banks :)

Also, where can I get virus progams for the jobs that want me to completely destroy computers, how do I do those jobs?
Jabberwocky
level3
level3

Postby Jabberwocky » Mon Jan 21, 2002 7:52 am

Disavowed, yes.

Caught and arrested, no.

To wipe out mainframes do this-

Hack them. Bypass proxy, firewall and monitor.
Go to console.
Type cd usr
delete usr
cd ..
cd log
delete log
cd ..
cd sys
delete sys
shutdown

Then disconnect. Burn bunny burn.

(Edited by Jabberwocky at 5:54 pm on Jan. 20, 2002)
There is always free cheese in a mousetrap.
Roxxor2001
level0

Postby Roxxor2001 » Mon Jan 21, 2002 8:41 am

how do i avoid being freakin disavowed, that has happened to me every time ive played until now. I delete all my logs and everything, but whenever i try the bank thing, i get busted right after i leave their bank, even though i delete all the logs and transaction records. I know now not to route through Internic, and i have to delete my bank records, but is there anywhere else tracking me? btw, I am using Firewall, Proxy and Monitor Bypass all v5.0 with Trace Tracker 3, and while im doing all the bank work, they arent tracing me....who is?
White Rabbit
level1
level1

Postby White Rabbit » Mon Jan 21, 2002 11:15 am

Not a passive trace from an earlier hack is it?
"Power corrupts. Absolute power is sort of fun."
Jabberwocky
level3
level3

Postby Jabberwocky » Mon Jan 21, 2002 4:32 pm

"NOT" to route through InterNIC? InterNIC is the most valuable server in the damn game?

Here's how you never get caught.

From your gateway make your next bounce point InterNIC. Then bounce to the target, do the job. Then you directly connecto to InterNIC, hack it, and delete your logs from there. Dont delete the 127.0.0. Connection Established logs, just delete the routed logs and the 127.0.0.1 logged in as administrator log.

And you'll never get caught.
There is always free cheese in a mousetrap.
White Rabbit
level1
level1

Postby White Rabbit » Mon Jan 21, 2002 5:10 pm

To expand on the above point:

Making InterNIC your first hop ensures that if a passive trace is started you have the most amount of time possible to wipe the logs on it before the trace passes that point.

And the reason you shouldn't delete the connection logs are because when you disconnect from the server a disconnect log will be written and it might look suspicious that you've disconnected from the server when it has no record of you connecting in the first place.

These are just my personally guesses as to why but I'm pretty certain they're about right.
Roxxor2001
level0

Postby Roxxor2001 » Tue Jan 22, 2002 1:22 am

So there is no way to detect a passive trace then I'm assuming? Also, If I dont route through internic, then I dont have to go there and delete logs that wouldnt exist, correct?
Mos
level1
level1

Postby Mos » Tue Jan 22, 2002 1:50 am

You leave logs on all servers, but if break the chain at InterINC, then you are home free.
White Rabbit
level1
level1

Postby White Rabbit » Tue Jan 22, 2002 2:37 am

and internic is a good one to break the chain at because the admin password never changes and the internic themselves will NEVER trace you.
KJ
level1
level1

Postby KJ » Tue Jan 22, 2002 3:14 am

Quote: from Jabberwocky on 6:52 pm on Jan. 20, 2002[br]

To wipe out mainframes do this-

Hack them. Bypass proxy, firewall and monitor.
Go to console.
Type cd usr
delete usr
cd ..
cd log
delete log
cd ..
cd sys
delete sys
shutdown

Then disconnect. Burn bunny burn.

(Edited by Jabberwocky at 5:54 pm on Jan. 20, 2002)

Don't disconnect. Wait till you get disconnected by the server. Disconnecting might stop it from destroying itself... I think that happend before..

Let me know if I way off...

Keep it cool,
-KJ
CPU: 600 GHz (3x Turbo 200 GHz), bandwith: 10Gq/s, memory: 256 Gq
Ranking: 3   Rating: Professional   Grade: 7   Neuromancer: Indiscriminate
Chad Mulligan
level2
level2

Postby Chad Mulligan » Tue Jan 22, 2002 4:08 am

You don't have to wait to be disconnected -- as soon as it says that it's shutting down the system, you can disconnect and then go break the log chain.

For what it's worth, banks do seem to initiate passive traces while you're still online, if you've been moving cash around.  And no, you won't be able to detect it with the usual means (although... that might be what leaves File Accessed connections in the logs, but you won't be able to read logs of intervening sites until you disconnect from the target).

As for The Virus, it's better if you find out through the plot.
"I tell you three times..."
Roxxor2001
level0

Postby Roxxor2001 » Tue Jan 22, 2002 4:19 am

well, I tried a bank, and while I was still in the bank, not even done, I got busted, but i had transferred 1100000. How long does a Passive Trace take? I was getting ready to leave but got busted. After I take out their banks logs, what other logs do I have to take out? BTW, on the banks logs, I left that I had connected, but i deleted what I had done
Chad Mulligan
level2
level2

Postby Chad Mulligan » Tue Jan 22, 2002 4:28 am

The usual bank heist procedure is to, immediately after transfer, to erase the transfer logs; connect to the recipient account, and erase the transfer logs there; then to clean up your connect logs on bounce points.  FWIW, I've done this, then immediately gone back into the very same victim bank to continue leafing through accounts, without the motion sensor ever going off.  I didn't bother returning to admin on the banks (and to one I couldn't, since I've been transferring straight to the only non-hackable bank in the game) and clearing the connection logs there.

I've never tested how long you can sit there after transfer before they catch you, but it sounds like it's on the order of minutes.

Hrm.  Of course, if you examine every account in the game, you'll likely have far more money than you need.  I suppose if I wanted to play an extremely good character, I'd record whom I robbed and then pay 'em back later with money won on the market and in missions.  *shrug*  Or one could always play Robin Hood for kicks.
"I tell you three times..."
Roxxor2001
level0

Postby Roxxor2001 » Tue Jan 22, 2002 8:44 am

I still cannot seem to get this to work. Can someone please give me a detailed guide of how to hack a bank? Thank you!!!!
cyclonite
level0

Postby cyclonite » Tue Jan 22, 2002 5:40 pm

I haven't been playing all that long, but I've only been disavowed once and that was because I forgot to delete some logs! DOH! Anyways, I've had a ton of luck using the Uplink Internal Services Server as my first bounce point and then connecting to InterNIC. However, I always disconnect before the trace gets to the InterNIC server. Usually I'll use the Uplink Test Machine as the thrid or fifth bounce point depending on what I'm hacking.

Last night I hit the Global Criminal Database 5 times in a row, just for the heck of it. God it's fun to put trumped up charges in there and get people arrested. I deleted the logs on the Crim server and on the Uplink Test Machine, InterNIC machine. Then went back to the Uplink Internal Services machine and sped up the time to see what would happen. Nada. I haven't tried to crack a bank yet, something I'll try tonight.  

Return to “General”