Best Hacking Film?

Anything and Everything about Uplink

Moderators: jelco, bert_the_turtle, Chris, Icepick, Rkiver

Reverb
level1
level1

Postby Reverb » Tue Jan 15, 2002 10:23 am

This has probably been done before, but if there was one, I can't find it. And I'm interested.

What is everyone's favourite hacking-related film?

I'd have to say Sneakers (which seems to have influenced Chris more than a little ;) ). The hacking in that film wasn't convoluted as in Swordfish or Hackers, and it had Dan Ackroyd in it. That's good enough in my book.
SilverGryphon
level1
level1

Postby SilverGryphon » Tue Jan 15, 2002 5:53 pm

Yes, sneakers is my fav one too.

As a Shadowrun/Cyberpunk fan I had very high hopes in Johnny Mnemonic... but it was a very poor movie...
(What is courage? - To try and fail... but rise to try again.)
frithiof
level0

Postby frithiof » Tue Jan 15, 2002 6:48 pm

my favourite hacking film was 'Hackers'.

sure, it was pretty unrealistic (hehe) and silly at times, but at least it didn't portray coders as being losers...
Olmen hates me because he thinks I think he hates capitalism and my country.
Bug man
level0

Postby Bug man » Tue Jan 15, 2002 8:11 pm

I don't know abauto all the rest but i think that the best hack movie is Operation: Sworfish! At least 4 me.. My favorite is the computer with 6 monitors and stuff like that.. :)
Jabberwocky
level3
level3

Postby Jabberwocky » Tue Jan 15, 2002 8:44 pm

Swordfish sucked.

And the people in Hackers were some of the most loser ish people I've ever seen.

Wargames. Wargames all the way.
There is always free cheese in a mousetrap.
brainkandy87
level1
level1

Postby brainkandy87 » Wed Jan 16, 2002 1:27 am

As much as I liked Hackers, Wargames is still my favorite. Hackers was cool, but alot of the computer part of it was unrealistic (i.e. the very first part when he and Jolie were fighting over the tv station).
Talesin
level4
level4

Postby Talesin » Wed Jan 16, 2002 2:01 am

Wargames rates in the top of my own list, followed closely by Sneakers. Mostly due to the realism dealt with in both of them.. actual techniques, without the hollywood glitz laid thick over everything.
 'Hackers' takes second-to-bottom, usually relegated to MST3K'ing and spot-the-flaw (there are thousands of them.. bad scene cuts and arrangement, technical flaws abounding, the list just goes on and on). Op: Swordfish doesn't really fall into the category in my own mind. It's an action flick, in with the remake of Mission Impossible.
 I'm sorry.. but most professional coders have seen/used (if not already own) a multi-monitor setup. It's not something to really impress anyone but the people you put up the 'ACHTUNG! Watchen der blinkenlights.' signs for in the machine room at work.
buhu
level0

Postby buhu » Wed Jan 16, 2002 3:10 pm

Antitrust is a god movie. And so is Hackers 2 "Takedown"
Silentwolf
level1
level1

Postby Silentwolf » Wed Jan 16, 2002 3:19 pm

Ive not seen sneakers, its on the top of my "Must see!" list. Wargames is great, Hackers was good, if unrealistic. To tell truth I like mission:Impossible, thats a top film, which is kinda related to hacking. And you have GOT to admit, the hacker/cracker in that is the COOLEST hacker in any film :)
                                         -Silentwolf-
                                   The Shadow Seeker
Kadarom Douhrek
level2
level2

Postby Kadarom Douhrek » Wed Jan 16, 2002 5:04 pm

Sneakers without question.
Second place is a little tougher.
Do I go with Wargames realism, or Hackers Jolie?;)

BTW, THERE IS NO HACKERS 2!!!
The movie is called Takedown: The Pursuit and Capture of Kevin Mitnick, America's Most Wanted Computer Outlaw.

The two movies have nothing in common.
And the Hackers 2 title is only on some idiots bootleg copies.
It is nowhere on the actual film.
SmasherDevourer
level0

Postby SmasherDevourer » Thu Jan 17, 2002 5:46 am

"Cloak and Dagger" (the 1984 version) definately! Where that kid finds the secret it that awesome Commodore 64 game and everyone tried to steal the disk! Wow! Now that kid was 1337!
Actually as I think, I don't think that movie had anything at all to do with computers or hacking. But I think there might have been a disk in it.
Ok, well second was that scene in Jurassic Park where that gilr hacked into the security mainframe and closed/opened the doors. That was so cool! And the 3D city inside the computer similar to that of the less hacking involved movie, "Hackers."  One of the best hacking scenes ever. So to answer your question: "Little Monsters."
Talesin
level4
level4

Postby Talesin » Thu Jan 17, 2002 6:09 am

I'd totally forgotten about that bit in JP. Unix system. Riiiiiiiight. (How did I forget about that one?! My friends and I saw that film three or four times in the theatre, and we HAD to burst out laughing every time!)

And Little Monsters /was/ actually a kickass hacking movie, in the truest sense of the word. I mean, did you SEE those light-suits? THAT was a great hack! Kludging something together that worked smoothly as that did, even for a short time. /Wonderful/.
Kadarom Douhrek
level2
level2

Postby Kadarom Douhrek » Thu Jan 17, 2002 8:01 am

Some SGI machines have setup's similar to the one in JP.
You click on a panel and it flips over revealing more panels underneath.
In JP they just had it all laid out next to each other.
Talesin
level4
level4

Postby Talesin » Thu Jan 17, 2002 8:07 am

Maybe, but I don't wanna think about the overhead on an operating system that uses full 3D graphics like that, apparently without any hardware 3D accel. Haven't seen ANY SGI machine that'll go that slow, except outdated units that can't even compete with Poser on an x86. Especially with that horrible of an organizational systems structure... gah. So many complaints, not enough time to spend on each point.
SilverGryphon
level1
level1

Postby SilverGryphon » Thu Jan 17, 2002 11:10 am

Oh... umm... does TRON count too?
*laughs*
(What is courage? - To try and fail... but rise to try again.)

Return to “General”