A Message to the Programmers of Uplink

Anything and Everything about Uplink

Moderators: jelco, bert_the_turtle, Chris, Icepick, Rkiver

CraiZE
level0

Postby CraiZE » Thu Nov 08, 2001 4:34 am

Now really guys im getting pissed at you. Give out that source code FFS ! We want to mod , update , remove bugs. If you are so fuckin slow at codin or have no time then let others do it. I wait one week on a reply of you then Project "Downlink" will start of my Crew. it wont take long as to code a game like you done, its just too much of work if someone did it already. We are proud to be able to say we get paid for the job and will release the game for free and aswell the users can send us money but they dont have to , those who send money support us on makin a new version , AND WE MAKE IT OPEN SOURCE LIKE IT SHOULD HAVE EVER BEEN. thank you for your time to read this.
CraiZE
Yetipants
level1
level1

Postby Yetipants » Thu Nov 08, 2001 4:54 am

um, seriously...
CrashNBurn
level2
level2

Postby CrashNBurn » Thu Nov 08, 2001 5:02 am

Although Craize may not have put his request in the nicest way possible.
He does have a good point, I have to admit this is a great game. But only for a limited time, I am already bored with it.
For the game to keep the public playing it must be updated every now and then, and mods make the game much more interesting and make the fun level last longer.
Release the code, or I feel many players will become bored with Uplink very soon.

~Crash~
WolfLord
level2
level2

Postby WolfLord » Thu Nov 08, 2001 5:46 am

Hmmm... while you guys are at it, go pester sony to release the source for their games... and microsoft too... and all the other big companies. Now seriously, I support open source, but for a little company like this, it's not practical if they want to turn a profit. Who will buy their game right now if they release the source? They already have enough problems with warez... Let every idiot scriptkiddie compile their own custom version top to bottom and give it away free and introversion will have 0 dollars coming in. What you fail to realize here is we have a small team of guys doing the best they can and doing a damn fine job of it. They've spent a lot of time on this and I'm sure don't want to see their hard work exploited by the masses. If you can't see this, go spend years of your time and thousands of your own money to make a game, then give it away free. You do that, and I'll eat my shoe.

-WolfLord
Icepick
level5
level5

Postby Icepick » Thu Nov 08, 2001 1:03 pm

they are both good points.
may they could just release the mission and software source code, so people can add to that, that way most things could be changed, but people would still have to buy the game to play it.
Ravenshadow
level2
level2

Postby Ravenshadow » Thu Nov 08, 2001 1:22 pm

Well... Allowing people to add things is a good idea, however, I do not think that releasing the source code would be a good idea... As WolfLord already pointed out, Introversion are already having enough problems with people warez'ing the game as it is, and people downloading the full version of the game with no intention of actually paying for it.

Maybe in the near future Introversion will think about realsing a add-on for the game that will allow people to patch in their own missions and the like? Would that not be a better solution? That way people can not copy the game with the souce code though can still add their own missions and the likes to the game as they please.
~ They can not catch us all ...
Robert
level2
level2

Postby Robert » Thu Nov 08, 2001 6:21 pm

Hack the planet!!
Chris
Introversion Staff
Introversion Staff

Postby Chris » Thu Nov 08, 2001 6:39 pm

Firstly, we are going to be releasing patches and addons - this is what we are working on right now.  We have the bonus disk coming up, and we have plans for a number of new features which will be showing up after that.  To say that we are slow is unfair - don't forget the full game was released on 1st October - just over 5 weeks ago, and we already have one patch out in that time.  Give us chance ;)

We would very much like to make Uplink more "mod-able" - this is a focus of future patches.  We also realise that this is vital to sustaining a community around Uplink.  People will be able to make new things and add new features.  We will not be publicly releasing the source code to Uplink any time soon - i'm sorry to dissapoint you but i'm afraid that's certain.  We'd rather stay in business and be able to make addons, and eventually (fingers crossed) more games.  We can't afford to spent 25 months working on Uplink then give it away at the end.

On a final note, I do not personally believe that releasing the source code is the answer to the problem of people becoming bored.  It takes a long time to make addons for games - Uplink has over 90,000 lines of C++ code, and the idea that you could download the source and have a patch out before us is just nonsense.

Patience people - you are going to love the addons we are planning on releasing.
Icepick
level5
level5

Postby Icepick » Thu Nov 08, 2001 6:44 pm

thats good enough for me :)
hey chris, if there is a patch that fixes the bug causing the game to lock at a certain date, will i be able to continue using my save after said patch is applied???
Ravenshadow
level2
level2

Postby Ravenshadow » Thu Nov 08, 2001 8:41 pm

Here, here Chris!!
You tell them ^_^
Ravenshadow
level2
level2

Postby Ravenshadow » Thu Nov 08, 2001 9:27 pm

And just because I feel like answering to parts of the origanal post, here we go once more.

Quote: from CraiZE on 3:34 am on Nov. 8, 2001[br]Now really guys im getting pissed at you. Give out that source code FFS ! We want to mod , update , remove bugs. If you are so fuckin slow at codin or have no time then let others do it.

Lets see... As Chris rightfully said, they have only been taking orders from people for the game for around five weeks, meaning that they have done quite a lot in such a short amount of time. People are already modding the GUI and Gateways (that I know of) without the use of a source code - if they can make add-ons without it then so can you. Also, there is going to be a patch out in the near future any how which will address the current, major, bugs in the game I should think.
So, in the end - they really are not slow at all and I know larger games with larger companies that take MUCH longer to do the same things that Introversion already have!

I wait one week on a reply of you then Project "Downlink" will start of my Crew. it wont take long as to code a game like you done,

I doupt you can do anything faster than they can - it is their game and thus they know their own coding. Other people would first have to see how THEY have done things to figure out the coding and the likes. And, it took them over two years to make this game (there were only four of them for godsake, larger companies take even longer at times!)

its just too much of work if someone did it already.

You do relise that you just said that it would take too much work to do the same don't you? Which makes no sense what so ever.

We are proud to be able to say we get paid for the job and will release the game for free and aswell the users can send us money but they dont have to , those who send money support us on makin a new version , AND WE MAKE IT OPEN SOURCE LIKE IT SHOULD HAVE EVER BEEN. thank you for your time to read this.
CraiZE

Let me see... If you did that, basicly ripped their game apart, copied the source code of the game then made another game that is practicly the same but made by different people, then you would be procicuted and taken to court since the game Uplink, and all its coding and information, etc, is copyright to the company that made it. In this case that company would be Introverson, which is certainly not you CraiZE.
Also, taking money for a product that is not your right to own, is also an offence and a criminal action.

There, I think I am done. For now at least.
ForrestFox
level1
level1

Postby ForrestFox » Thu Nov 08, 2001 9:38 pm

Quote: from CraiZE on 3:34 am on Nov. 8, 2001[br]it wont take long as to code a game like you done, its just too much of work if someone did it already. We are proud to be able to say we get paid for the job and will release the game for free and aswell the users can send us money but they dont have to , those who send money support us on makin a new version , AND WE MAKE IT OPEN SOURCE LIKE IT SHOULD HAVE EVER BEEN. thank you for your time to read this.
CraiZE

Hm.. You should stop whining and make up your own friggin game if youre so damn good.
And before you start ripping off ideas from Uplink I should remind you of one important word.. "COPYRIGHT". I dont know what it fully means, I doubt a lawyer is a 100% sure of all the rules this word comes with, but I dare you to try and break the copyrights own by Introversion (Chris: you DO have copyrights I hope).

I believe that the "copyright" includes much everything the same as movies does. (You cant make a movie about four mean calling themselves GhostCatchers who use these cool monecular atomic devices to catch ghosts that they later store in their cellar.. Oh, and they drive around in a black cab with sirens going "whoop whoop whoop". Such a movie would be so sued that the team that made Ghostbusters would be able to make a third film with all the money they get *has studied movies and copyrights and such a long time ago,  may have wrong but probably not* The same rules goes for the gaming industry, so be carefull what you say, do and produce)
Zaptan
level3
level3

Postby Zaptan » Thu Nov 08, 2001 9:51 pm

The guy that wrote this has no group (might not even have any friends) he’s a little kid, and wants to sound cool by saying he can rip the source. He wanted people to think he’s a good programmer, when I don’t think he can even do a 'Hello world'
Acting like you can take on a company, even a small one like into, does not make you cool...  Now if you can make your own game with out having to rip all the Ideas on games before then Id be impressed.
MASTER OF DEATH - ZAPTAN
The one and only Uplink furry
Janus_uplink
level1
level1

Postby Janus_uplink » Thu Nov 08, 2001 10:56 pm

The extent of CraiZE's programming/hacking/spelling skills:

void main() {
 printf("me si a l33t h4x0r!");
 return;
}

And that alone took him a week. :P

(Edited by Janus at 9:56 pm on Nov. 8, 2001)
ph34r.
Icepick
level5
level5

Postby Icepick » Fri Nov 09, 2001 12:07 am

lmao
im sure hes gonna come back with some random (or not so random) string of insults now

Return to “General”