Poll: Windows or Linux?

Anything and Everything about Uplink

Moderators: jelco, bert_the_turtle, Chris, Icepick, Rkiver

AHardyBoy
level2
level2

Postby AHardyBoy » Mon Nov 05, 2001 6:58 am

... well, yeah, I rewrote the game, I'm running a text based version of Windows XP and Uplink in MS-DOS 6.0.

L33T H4X0R R00LZ JOO!!!!
Ahardyboy
Level 3 Hacker: Veteran
Neuromancer Rating: Single-minded
Kadarom Douhrek
level2
level2

Postby Kadarom Douhrek » Mon Nov 05, 2001 7:00 am

Win XP on one, Win 2k on another.
AHardyBoy
level2
level2

Postby AHardyBoy » Mon Nov 05, 2001 7:07 am

Win XP actually.
Ahardyboy
Level 3 Hacker: Veteran
Neuromancer Rating: Single-minded
Kadarom Douhrek
level2
level2

Postby Kadarom Douhrek » Mon Nov 05, 2001 7:16 am

Quote: from AHardyBoy on 12:07 am on Nov. 5, 2001[br]Win XP actually.
Really?
I would have never guessed.;)
Janus_uplink
level1
level1

Postby Janus_uplink » Mon Nov 05, 2001 7:56 am

I use WinXP. Though I will have a linux box soon and play much uplink on it :)
ph34r.
MephistO
level0

Postby MephistO » Mon Nov 05, 2001 8:07 pm

I have a 500 P3 And a 1.5 P4... Both running win2k...
Blaine
level1
level1

Postby Blaine » Mon Nov 05, 2001 9:34 pm

I use Windows because I have to. I make my living with PhotoShop and 3DSMax. Period. I don't have the luxury of picking OS's. Besides, I also use Flash a lot.
ColdWind
level0

Postby ColdWind » Mon Nov 05, 2001 11:29 pm

Windows XP PRO running uplink and also vmware running linux with uplink...

http://www.vmware.com

check it out...
JackJohnson
level0

Postby JackJohnson » Tue Nov 06, 2001 12:23 am

Quote: from A on 9:44 am on Nov. 4, 2001[br]you must be ******* joking if you think i run linux. about half my devices are incompatible with it and there are basically no games for it. yes ok, uplink is for linux and a few others. but i haven't seen a game in a shop for linux - there maybe where you live, that's not the point. i'm going off games though and may change to linux when i upgrade to some super compatible stuff. if i had to choose a distribution, it would be slackware - it has no bull****, unlike redhat or mandrake - might as well have windows if you use those. i use windows 2000 - i'm comfortable with it and it does all the things i need. nice stable and again no bull****.

(Edited by A at 5:45 pm on Nov. 4, 2001)

lol why do you have to defend microsoft.. truth is all thier OS's especially XP are security pieholes.. Bill Gates is the biggest cock in the mouth when it comes to security issues.. There was even a time when you could easily read someone elses hotmail when they were logged in thier account =\- I dunno what you've heard but you never hear of Sun Terminals getting hacked.. cause the programmers are'nt overpaid doofuses like at microsoft.. gotta admit thier best at business /sales though- and if your a gamer windows 98/SE is fast but unstable for doing any real work.. Windows is basically a joke with alot of people running it- nuff said on this thread- I know only a handful of people here even know what the fuck I'm talking about- rest of you.. stick to your uplink and stuffing your fat fucking piehole with a bag of cheetos
you fucking fat piece of shit
Icepick
level5
level5

Postby Icepick » Tue Nov 06, 2001 1:38 am

Jack, have you ever used XP???
its great, and its been proven to be totally invisible on the net (for now)
Now i hate Microsoft more than most people, but, as much as i hate to admit it, XP is pretty good
Astromarine
level2
level2

Postby Astromarine » Tue Nov 06, 2001 5:35 pm

XP does what it should do, that's right. as long as you are nice and content letting it do everything for you. I like my OSes to *assist* me in the tasks I undertake, not hinder me with moronic "you are too dumb, let the bright people at microsoft take care of it for you". I'll take enough of that crap when I'm too old to stop myself from peeing my pants. for now, I'll take care of myself, thankee very much.

Redhat 7.2 GNOME-less install (gotta love WindowMaker)

Oh, and for the guy that said Linux is a poor gaming environment - true, you don't get the masses of Windows games. BUT you get masses of Linux games (www.linuxgames.com, www.happypenguin.org) and a select few of the Windows ones (www.loki.com) The rest you can use Wine to play with (www.transgaming.com) or give them up for the knowledge of running the best affordable OS out there today

Take care
Kadarom Douhrek
level2
level2

Postby Kadarom Douhrek » Tue Nov 06, 2001 6:07 pm

I'd like you to know that within 5 minutes of finishing the install I had every one of XP's help/assistant/automated functions turned off.
A few I've turned on again because they really are useful/time saving.

And yes I've used Linux, alot.
And at the current time it has no advantages for me.
Icepick
level5
level5

Postby Icepick » Tue Nov 06, 2001 8:54 pm

exactly, you can turn of everything you dont want in XP, and, just as a point, half the point of computers is so that they can do things for us, if your complaining about your operating system doing things for you, your defeating the point of having a computer.
asuffield
level0

Postby asuffield » Tue Nov 06, 2001 10:03 pm

Debian. Because it works, and because I have no desire to spend my life working so that I can pay large corporations to continue increasing their stranglehold.
Andrew Suffield
Debian GNU/Linux
Imperial College, London, UK
Astromarine
level2
level2

Postby Astromarine » Wed Nov 07, 2001 10:02 am

well, first of all: either your version of XP is pirated, or it's legit. If legit, good luck being bled dry with "upgrade programs". If it's pirated, you are obtaining advantages thru theft. Big deal.

XP is a pain. A shitload of network protocols are not supported now, and it won't let you mess with device drivers . Both of these situations mean that unless you pay microsoft's HW buddies for "supported" cards and your config is a bit strange, you're fucked. Linux is *improving* it's HW compatibility, Windows is removing some of its own.

Listen. I never said you should all quit using Windows and start using Linux. I did, but that's me. If you use your computer to write word documents and play games, or to program in one of Microsoft's languages or one for which some development tools exist only for windows, well then by all means use it.

I like my computer to do things for me. Sure. But I want it to present me a pure, clean interface in which I can tell him "do this and this" and it will. No questions asked.

A few days ago I bought a new graphics card. I had a Nvidia GF2MX, and I bought a GF2Ti by hercules. I had detonator 3 drivers, and I wanted to switch to Hercules' own (in windows - my girlfriend's machine). I went to Device manager and removed the graphics adapter's drivers. It asked me to reboot, which I did, and the first thing it did after rebooting was say "hey, I found a new device! A Geforce!" and immediately installed the Detonator drivers.

Sure, I'm pretty sure there is some way to do it. But it isn't *easy*. it isn't *obvious*. And isn't that the big "advantage"  to Windows? In Linux I write 2 command lines and edit a file to change 3 lines in it. I don't even have to reboot.

What I mean is - Windows isn't "simple". Not when you want to do something complicated in it. Its difficulty rises exponentially with the difficulty of the task, while Linux's rises linearly at most.

Return to “General”